Diamond Head Classic - Iowa State

GoZips88

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iowa State leads the country in scoring and assists. This will be a huge challenge for the Zips defense. They are a guard/wing oriented team with no one over 6'9" on their roster. The challenge is on for Diggs, McAdams, Deji, Kretzer and Harney tomorrow.

Their 6'8" and 6'9" guys don't even play 10 minutes a game. Their tallest player with significant playing time is 6'7" (Tree's height).

This team is ranked #17 right now.

We have to worry about everyone.

If the refs let us play we can win. Our style requires us to be allowed to play.

Both good points.

The height advantage/disadvantage:

With this particular Zips team, I'd be most afraid of a team that has a significant size advantage. A team that has great talent at guard and wing would appear to be a much easier team to handle.

I had the chance to go to a coaching clinic at Cuyahoga Heights a year ago, and it was a great experience. I had the chance to soak in lectures from Bob Knight, Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, Matt Painter, Steve Prohm, Greg Kampe, Archie Miller, Ganon Baker, Tara Vanderveer, and Fred Hoiberg(Iowa State's head coach).

Each had their own "agenda" on what they were going to use in their segment of the coaches' clinic. Hoiberg was showing a lot of their offensive sets and transition sets(yes, transition sets). I really wish I could find those sheets, and get them to Hawaii as soon as possible :ninja:

Hoiberg likes to have a tall, big, athletic player bringing the ball up for mismatched opportunities. I do remember that. Should be an interesting game. Will have to play better, but at least we finally got that win. Felt we let one get away against OK State, but finally a marquee win over the Beavers. Can't wait for today's matchup against the Cyclones. Probably the best team we will see all season(unless we make it to the NCAA tournament, then possibly a better opponent(MAYBE)).

I watched the game last night and always like hearing Dino Gaudio do games. He seemed to have good things to say about coach Dambrot, UA and the MAC. He is a MAC guy (Ohio grad) who used to be the head coach at Wake Forest.

I also just heard him at the end of the Oregon State/George Mason game say that he expects to see both Akron and Iowa State in the NCAA Tourny.