All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Outdoor Track and Field

Zips T & F soldiers on...out west at Mt. St. Mary's Tevin Brown breaks school record in the 10,000 meter and Mackenzie Andrews sets new school record in the steeplechase! It's been a while since we've had strength in the long distances....way to go Tev and Mack!
  4. Baseball's Coming Back

I had the same reaction as Zipmeister....I have scoured the internet and talked to a few coaches of other ncaa sports, and can't find anything anywhere about a fee to decommit, let alone a significant one...anyone else know anything??
  5. Baseball's Coming Back

Did it make the needle on your bullshit meter spike, like it did mine, when he told you about having to pay a significant $-fee to decommit?
  6. ZipsNation.org Spotlights Jeremiah Knight

Really nice read. GO ZIPS!
  7. 2019 Preseason

Alex is 6'3", Rob is 6'2", and Kato is 6'1" according to my most recent roster sheet (April 5th). Even though they are not standing (perfectly) next to each other, you can make somewhat of a judgement from this (April 6th) photo.
  8. 2019 Preseason

Other than the photos included in the article by @JeffJefflange, here are a few more:
  9. ZipsNation.org Spotlights Jeremiah Knight

Big thanks to our beat reporters! I get the feeling that Boogie's attitude is pervasive with this team. I'm looking forward to this fall.
  10. Zips—2019 NFL Draft

Not much buzz on Kyron Brown huh? I really thought he'd have a shot to make it at the next level
  11. I did not know about Ezana and where he will be playing https://gozips.com/news/2019/4/18/mens-soccer-zips-in-the-pros-april-2019.aspx
  12. I hope that there are many former zips on the field in cleveland...and several zip fans in the stands https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/04/gregg-berhalters-rebuilding-of-us-mens-national-soccer-team-features-stop-in-cleveland-during-2019-gold-cup.html
  13. Baseball's Coming Back

Just throwing this out there for you to think about. I’ve been at the MAC Baseball Championships the last three years, and if you like college baseball, it is a blast. Played at Sprenger Stadiumin Avon Lake (was All-Pro Freight Stadium before name change) which is only a little over an hour from campus. The stadium is super fan friendly, with several micro brews on tap and high top tables and chairs on the mezzanine. Kinda strange to watch ball on a fully artificial surface, even the mound, but still fun. With Buffalo dropping out the new format is better, with 2 games the first day, then 3 the next two, and the Saturday and Sunday dependent on outcome. It’ll give everyone a chance to see what we’ll be up against in 2020. It’s even worth an overnight stay in the area with a HUGE number of pubs in the area after-game. The staff and the MAC do a great job of this one. Wednesday thru Saturday/Sunday May 22-26.
  14. Yesterday
  15. Zips—2019 NFL Draft

Jamal has 3,438 followers right now, Ulysees Gilbert has 1,145. I'm interested to see how it goes up after they get drafted. 🤩🤯
  16. ZipsNation.org Spotlights Jeremiah Knight

Another great article with great pics. Thanks Captain and Dr. Z!
  17. A couple weeks ago Zips redshirt sophomore receiver Jeremiah Knight was nice enough to answer a few questions from me and Dr. Z after practice. Here's his story - Catching On As always, thanks to Dr. Z for the great supporting photography and layout!
  18. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

It had more to do with the fact that once Sayles went down with injury and Kostalec transferred we had literally nobody else to be our #3 C. Considering the fact we currently only have 3 scholarship bigs and 1 of them has finished the past 2 seasons injured, it wouldn't surprise me if we're once again forced to play someone out of position at some point during the long season.
  19. Zips—2019 NFL Draft

This guy is just a twitter draft guy, but his takes are usually well thought out and rational.
  20. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Utomi played the emergency 5 because he's built like a brick wall - wasn't able to be backed down very easily. X lacks the height advantage and the strength advantage to hold that spot down.
  21. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

No question. I trust it's what he would like to run in a perfect world. Right now he's resigned to emphasizing defense and slowing things down.
  22. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

My hope was that we would see him playing ~10 or so minutes a game at center in a small ball lineup. Hilltopper came out saying he sees that being unlikely. He's more knowledgeable than me on the matter so I'll take his word for it. Even Utomi played the 5 in some emergency situations so Xeyrius still might get some playing time there, but from the sounds of it I'd say it will be an infrequent occurrence.
  23. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Small ball center, yes. Otherwise, Groce said he is a wing that will play some stretch 4.
  24. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

I don't know much about him but could Xeyrius handle short spurts as a small-ball center? it would help get some shooting on the floor and pull bigs away from the basket. you'd be giving up a lot of size but it might be a nice change-of-pace lineup
  25. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Very true. And I understand everyone's frustration with the offense to date while at the same time I see Groce game planning and culture building around the talent he has. Okay, I am going to go back to the scholarship chart and wait for further news like a kid waiting on Christmas.
  26. 2019-2020 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

We never really had the personnel to run it and we still don't. I identified the below as why a D'Antoni system wouldn't have worked for us last year. 2) We didn't have bigs who could run the court 7) & 8) pretty much go together. The system requires playing more guys and a benefit is you wear down your opponent. We only had what 8 scholarship players? Instead of wearing down our opponents trying to be a running team, we would in turn wear ourselves down. We needed more depth 10) In order to get opposing bigs away from the basket they need to respect your teams big mid-range & 3-point shooting The last point might be the biggest. "Tough to run without good shooters". I don't think this point needs any explanation.
  27. Big Buyouts at U of Akron

Unless that's been the plan all along. Board of Trustees members of public universities are appointed by the governor and approved by the senate. Board of Trustees members are in charge of overseeing administrations and picking new administrations. Anyone following politics in the state of Ohio in regards to public education will have seen this strategy at work. I'm personally split because I love my Akron Zips; however I'm also a huge advocate of significant lowering in the cost of attendance at public Universities for all college students in the state of Ohio.
  1. Load more activity