Hard Hat Huddle Picture Thread

bUAkronG

Not impressed with the scoreboard at all. The sides are open and their is still space on the bottom that is open. The back is just crap.
Then you'll be not impressed with many scoreboards around the country.I've been to dozens of college campuses across the country and you'll find open spaces, gaps backsides that are crap.Many schools have the team emblem on the back of scoreboard on similar material UofA is using. TV has funny way of making some Jumbotrons better looking then they actually are in person. They're replacing the ones in Georgia Dome this season and the multi-million dollars one they're replacing were not all that fancy looking in person. What we have is light years better then what we had and couple gaps that common in big boards and tacky backside is not going to spoil what I feel is awesome scoreboard compared to that piece of crap at the Rubber Bowl.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not impressed with the scoreboard at all. The sides are open and their is still space on the bottom that is open. The back is just crap.
Then you'll be not impressed with many scoreboards around the country.I've been to dozens of college campuses across the country and you'll find open spaces, gaps backsides that are crap.Many schools have the team emblem on the back of scoreboard on similar material UofA is using. TV has funny way of making some Jumbotrons better looking then they actually are in person. They're replacing the ones in Georgia Dome this season and the multi-million dollars one they're replacing were not all that fancy looking in person. What we have is light years better then what we had and couple gaps that common in big boards and tacky backside is not going to spoil what I feel is awesome scoreboard compared to that piece of crap at the Rubber Bowl.

First off, I have been to many other stadiums and have seen much nicer scoreboards.Second, I don't care about mny other scoreboards. This is not what was on the early displays, and it is not nearly as classy as those. It doesn't look like a new scoreboard to me.

Completely agree, most appear to look like these images... I would assume they'll continue to work to refine it over time... I'm also in Suwanee, GA... Perhaps we should start a Zips backer club here in ATL - might only be 2 of us though... Glad to see the Zips finally get a real stadium - maybe persons will actually recognize Akron as a great school to go to...

I saw CK's post on another topic about the scoreboard and I had to come over here to see what tapestry of stupidity was being woven on this topic. Just when I thought the arguments about parking at the Rubber Bowl (it was a freaking grass field for Christ's sake) were about as stupid as we could get on this board, I find a two page debate about the scoreboard and the light poles. The parking debates and complaints still reign supreme, but this debate is a VERY close second.Who is complaining that the steel looks cheap on the scoreboard? What the Hell are they supposed to support it with and frame it in with? Concrete at about 50 times the cost of steel? Frame the scoreboard with anti-gravity material they use on the Enterprise? Keep in mind, the stadium had to come in within budget. The steel looks just fine. It matches the rest of the stadium that is framed with......steel.The light poles. Let's see..... a light pole consists of the two following features:1. Lights2. A poleI look at the picture and what do I see, lights...check, pole.....check. What is the freaking problem? They successfully joined the two elements in the creation of a "light pole". At about 100 times the cost of the steel pole, that matches the rest of the stadium, maybe they could have created concrete poles (they could have consulted the guy who designed Rex's Erection in Cuyahoga Falls). I love the argument, "the scoreboard doesn't look good from Exchange". Exchange doesn't look good from Exchange. It is full of college students and bums. The back of the scoreboard is the best looking thing on exchange. It's the back of a scoreboard for crying out loud, not a work of art.

It's around 11:30 and they're presently working on covering the sides of the scoreboard. It looks much better already. Additionally, the back covering seems to be laying much more smoothly than when I checked it out last week. It's not looking bad @ all.Also, I agree about Exchange Street. Sadly, I hope no one uses the main entrance on Exchange. Exchange is flat cruddy. When I bring friends I'm going to walk then through campus and come in through one of the two northern entrances. This way I can 1) show off the beautiful campus, and 2) avoid the shame that is Exchange Street.

I saw CK's post on another topic about the scoreboard and I had to come over here to see what tapestry of stupidity was being woven on this topic. Just when I thought the arguments about parking at the Rubber Bowl (it was a freaking grass field for Christ's sake) were about as stupid as we could get on this board, I find a two page debate about the scoreboard and the light poles. The parking debates and complaints still reign supreme, but this debate is a VERY close second.Who is complaining that the steel looks cheap on the scoreboard? What the Hell are they supposed to support it with and frame it in with? Concrete at about 50 times the cost of steel? Frame the scoreboard with anti-gravity material they use on the Enterprise? Keep in mind, the stadium had to come in within budget. The steel looks just fine. It matches the rest of the stadium that is framed with......steel.The light poles. Let's see..... a light pole consists of the two following features:1. Lights2. A poleI look at the picture and what do I see, lights...check, pole.....check. What is the freaking problem? They successfully joined the two elements in the creation of a "light pole". At about 100 times the cost of the steel pole, that matches the rest of the stadium, maybe they could have created concrete poles (they could have consulted the guy who designed Rex's Erection in Cuyahoga Falls).
I'm one of the posters who is disappointed they changed from the design of have five poles on top of the east side stand and went with three poles behind the stands. I still think the five pole look would have been better. But, that's my opinion. I've seen more pictures and angles and I've since said it looks fine and I'm little disappointedBut, all of us here who posted are disappointment based that on the decision to change from the original graphic design they rolled out in August 2007. Nobody said anything about steel pole or the other colorful comments you choose to use. Our disappointment is they showed us design in August 2007 we all loved and made a major change some of us are not crazy about. That's doesn't mean we hate the overall project and I know I surely don't because of one feature I'm not crazy about. I also don't think it fair we're getting slammed just becasued we expressed disappointment on IMO what was major change and they never said why they choose to change that.I still love the Info overall and it light years better then the crappy 69 year old Rubber Bowl.

I saw CK's post on another topic about the scoreboard and I had to come over here to see what tapestry of stupidity was being woven on this topic. Just when I thought the arguments about parking at the Rubber Bowl (it was a freaking grass field for Christ's sake) were about as stupid as we could get on this board, I find a two page debate about the scoreboard and the light poles. The parking debates and complaints still reign supreme, but this debate is a VERY close second.Who is complaining that the steel looks cheap on the scoreboard? What the Hell are they supposed to support it with and frame it in with? Concrete at about 50 times the cost of steel? Frame the scoreboard with anti-gravity material they use on the Enterprise? Keep in mind, the stadium had to come in within budget. The steel looks just fine. It matches the rest of the stadium that is framed with......steel.The light poles. Let's see..... a light pole consists of the two following features:1. Lights2. A poleI look at the picture and what do I see, lights...check, pole.....check. What is the freaking problem? They successfully joined the two elements in the creation of a "light pole". At about 100 times the cost of the steel pole, that matches the rest of the stadium, maybe they could have created concrete poles (they could have consulted the guy who designed Rex's Erection in Cuyahoga Falls).
I'm one of the posters who is disappointed they changed from the design of have five poles on top of the east side stand and went with three poles behind the stands. I still think the five pole look would have been better. But, that's my opinion. I've seen more pictures and angles and I've since said it looks fine and I'm little disappointedBut, all of us here who posted are disappointment based that on the decision to change from the original graphic design they rolled out in August 2007. Nobody said anything about steel pole or the other colorful comments you choose to use. Our disappointment is they showed us design in August 2007 we all loved and made a major change some of us are not crazy about. That's doesn't mean we hate the overall project and I know I surely don't because of one feature I'm not crazy about. I also don't think it fair we're getting slammed just becasued we expressed disappointment on IMO what was major change and they never said why they choose to change that.I still love the Info overall and it light years better then the crappy 69 year old Rubber Bowl.
Well said. I love the overpall project. I just would love it more if they stuck with what they originally showed us.

And I'll be that if they retrofit the ability to prevent the wind from blowing over 5 mph it would appear much better.
Oh, that's easy!Just put up some electric generating wind-mills nearby and promise to use the energy to lower student tuition.The wind will never blow again.

And I'll be that if they retrofit the ability to prevent the wind from blowing over 5 mph it would appear much better.
Oh, that's easy!Just put up some electric generating wind-mills nearby and promise to use the energy to lower student tuition.The wind will never blow again.
Wrong, you can't stop the wind completely in a wind turbine, only slow it down....the air has to go somewhere after it goes through the turbine. I think they should put a computer room in the scoreboard that is linked only to ZNO. The fans in that room, frustrated with the scoreboard design would give off enough heat to increase the internal pressure, causing the exterior to bow outward and fixing the problem!

I think constructive criticism is fine. This is a fan board after all... we're always looking for ways to improve things. Why should we restrain our opinions?Personally, I don't think the 3 lights or the cheap scoreboard backing are as nice as the concept work portrayed. I assume there was a good reason for the small alterations and it really doesn't take away from the stadium. Oh and did I mention it's fricken sweet...Lets Go Zips!

Wrong, you can't stop the wind completely in a wind turbine, only slow it down....the air has to go somewhere after it goes through the turbine. I think they should put a computer room in the scoreboard that is linked only to ZNO. The fans in that room, frustrated with the scoreboard design would give off enough heat to increase the internal pressure, causing the exterior to bow outward and fixing the problem!
lol, I think you missed my humor (or attempt at it).... sortof like a variation on muphy's law. My contention was that if they put up windmills that would lower tuition, the wind would avoid the area in order to screw the students. This would have the benefit of not blowing on the back of the scoreboard.Of course, with my metaphysical logic, I'm sure the wind would aim past the windmills and still target the scoreboard anyway.Okay, i quit now. Let's get back to some serious complaining. :D