Guess we aren't the only ones struggling with OU's guards

Quickzips

If previous tourneys mean nothing then how did Duke get a 1 seed? How did Xavier get a 6 seed?! Trust me, it means something.

LOL...Right. Duke deserved a 1-seed. Xavier probably deserved a 5-seed but only got a 6. But anyways, your talking about individual schools, and not conferences.

The point is that these wins won't help MAC teams resumes come next March. The only way to do that is to win big OOC conference games in November-December.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If previous tourneys mean nothing then how did Duke get a 1 seed? How did Xavier get a 6 seed?! Trust me, it means something.

LOL...Right. Duke deserved a 1-seed. Xavier probably deserved a 5-seed but only got a 6. But anyways, your talking about individual schools, and not conferences.

The point is that these wins won't help MAC teams resumes come next March. The only way to do that is to win big OOC conference games in November-December.

National Rankings are the only way to get at-large bids from the MAC...which both are things akron will never get

You know, if DJ and AB have another game or two like this one (AND the Akron game) there WILL be TV games on ESPN. All the networks care about is ratings, if they become big stars in the Dance they will have drawing power. That did happen with Wally in his last year. All the tourney games he was in were hyped big time.

Do you go to Can't? Because you would have to be high as a Can't Stater to think that Duke deserved the 1 seed :screwks:

You know, if DJ and AB have another game or two like this one (AND the Akron game) there WILL be TV games on ESPN. All the networks care about is ratings, if they become big stars in the Dance they will have drawing power. That did happen with Wally in his last year. All the tourney games he was in were hyped big time.

Settle down...it was one game. One game doesn't make them stars that ESPN will covet.

That could happen, but it doesn't mean anything for getting into next year's tourney. I also remember a kid named Stephen Curry that absolutely lit up the tourney, carrying Davidson to the Elite Eight. ESPN talked about him non-stop. The very next season ESPN carried multiple Davidson games and still talked about Curry non-stop. At the end of the year, Davidson failed to win their conference tourney and were left out of the tourney. Their past success didn't matter.

Seriously now...what good does an Ohio win do for Akron?

Here's the effect of an Ohio win:

- OHIO U earns respect nationally

- OHIO U gets a recruiting edge

- OHIO U gets recognition

How does it help AKRON?

It's good for the MAC. What's good for the MAC is good for Akron. Would you rather try to recruit athletes having a good conference or a sucky conference? It raises the bar for the other programs, including us. It puts more pressure on us to upgrade our program to keep pace.

Look, if you want to use anecdotal evidence:

THE 1969 JETS WIN THE SUPERBOWL

Now for those who were not around in 1969, after the merger EVERYONE said the AFL was INFERIOR and could never beat the NFL (of course AFC and NFC but to to the old guys it was the AFL).

So the Jets with Namath win and the rest is history. The leagues were equal and the merger was a complete success.

Nothing validates like winning an unwinnable game (just ask the UNDEFEATED Patriots about that).

Seriously now...what good does an Ohio win do for Akron?

Here's the effect of an Ohio win:

- OHIO U earns respect nationally

- OHIO U gets a recruiting edge

- OHIO U gets recognition

How does it help AKRON?

It's good for the MAC. What's good for the MAC is good for Akron. Would you rather try to recruit athletes having a good conference or a sucky conference? It raises the bar for the other programs, including us. It puts more pressure on us to upgrade our program to keep pace.

Athletes aren't going to think of the MAC as a better conference because of one team. For the conference to gain respect, multiple teams have to be successful. This means improving OOC scheduling across the board and having success with those OOC schedules.

Tonight's didn't make people respect the MAC, it made people respect Ohio U, who they will now view as an exception in an otherwise mediocre conference.

Now for those who were not around in 1969, after the merger EVERYONE said the AFL was INFERIOR and could never beat the NFL (of course AFC and NFC but to to the old guys it was the AFL).

So the Jets with Namath win and the rest is history. The leagues were equal and the merger was a complete success.

Nothing validates like winning an unwinnable game (just ask the UNDEFEATED Patriots about that).

Now we're comparing Ohio beating Georgetown to the Jets winning the Super Bowl?

Now we're comparing Ohio beating Georgetown to the Jets winning the Super Bowl?

Ask one of your profs what the significance of "anecdotal evidence" is.

They showed they deserved to be there. And as much as everyone hates to admit it, the Zips probably would not have been able to pull off that upset.

Awesome job, OU.

Totally agree. Gtown had height, OU had shooters who are amazing athletes. It would have been a very poor match for us.

All I want for Christmas is a guard who can shoot like that!

I think Akron would have gotten the 13 seed if they had beat OU in the MAC tournament. But chances are we would have lost anyway considering how bad our defense was throught the tournament.

I don't know. Gtown, a #3 seed and a top national program had MORE trouble with those two than we did. It may be not so much how bad we were as how good they were.

right. Because Georgetown is probably worse than UWGB, too, right?

They showed they deserved to be there. And as much as everyone hates to admit it, the Zips probably would not have been able to pull off that upset.

Awesome job, OU.

Totally agree. Gtown had height, OU had shooters who are amazing athletes. It would have been a very poor match for us.

I think Akron would have gotten the 13 seed if they had beat OU in the MAC tournament. But chances are we would have lost anyway considering how bad our defense was throught the tournament.

I don't know. Gtown, a #3 seed and a top national program had MORE trouble with those two than we did. It may be not so much how bad we were as how good they were.

UMM. this is a BIG TIME PROGRAM and possibly the best MAC win ever:

Georgetown Hoyas

Tournament Appearances: 25

Final Fours: 5

Championships: 1 (1984)

Win-Loss: 45-24

Georgetown Best Tournament Performances

TEAM BESTS PLAYER BESTS

STAT SEASON OPPONENT VALUE SEASON PLAYER VALUE

PTS 1996 Texas Tech, 98-90 98 1987 Reggie Williams 34

FG% 1982 Oregon State, 69-45 .744 1990 Alonzo Mourning 1.000

FT 1996 Texas Tech, 98-90 33 1987 Reggie Williams 16

FT%

North Carolina, 62-63

.889 1984 Michael Jackson 1.000

3PM 2008 Davidson, 70-74 10 1987 Charles Smith 5

3P% 1994 Illinois, 84-77 .750 1989 Dwayne Bryant .833

REB 2001 Hampton, 76-57 51 1990 Dikembe Mutombo 16

Awesome job, OU.

Georgetown Hoyas

TEAM BESTS PLAYER BESTS

FT%

North Carolina, 62-63

you were arguing for the fact that Akron may have beat Georgetown as well. I wanted you to remember that just last night we lost to UWGB...

Awesome job, OU.

Georgetown Hoyas

TEAM BESTS PLAYER BESTS

FT%

North Carolina, 62-63

you were arguing for the fact that Akron may have beat Georgetown as well. I wanted you to remember that just last night we lost to UWGB...

Nope. I am not arguing that at all. Gtown would be a horrible matchup for us. But this OU team is on fire. Gtown is a big time program, and OU is on a big roll. They are looking very very good, and if their NEXT opponent allows those two to put up over 50 points, it's gonna be game on.

Cooper is over rated?????!!!!! you wouldn't trade a urinal????

I will keep this page in my favourites to provide a link to it every time we play them and he detroys us for the next 3 years.

He has his good nights but....good players don't have awful nights like Cooper

look at these point totals

2 - Delaware

5 - EKU

5 - Pitt

6 - IUPUI

7 - Ball State

5 - Wright State

4 - Miami

6 - BGSU

MAC tournament

2 - Can't

2 - Miami

When there are players that average 30+ pts a game out there, some guy from OU who averages 13pts a game really doesn't impress me. I'd consider someone a decent player if he averaged around 20...but 13? get real

Troy Cotton from Green Bay averages 36!?!?!?! that's impressive but no ones cares about him around here

Cooper is over rated?????!!!!! you wouldn't trade a urinal????

I will keep this page in my favourites to provide a link to it every time we play them and he detroys us for the next 3 years.

He has his good nights but....good players don't have awful nights like Cooper

look at these point totals

2 - Delaware

5 - EKU

5 - Pitt

6 - IUPUI

7 - Ball State

5 - Wright State

4 - Miami

6 - BGSU

MAC tournament

2 - Can't

2 - Miami

When there are players that average 30+ pts a game out there, some guy from OU who averages 13pts a game really doesn't impress me. I'd consider someone a decent player if he averaged around 20...but 13? get real

Troy Cotton from Green Bay averages 36!?!?!?! that's impressive but no ones cares about him around here

HE IS A FRESHMAN

And he supposedly was nursing a sore knee in a couple of those games.

VMD, I am starting to believe that you have a personnal issue with the kid because you can't be reasonnably arguing that he does not impress you.

First of all, I'm not aware of no one averaging 36 points a game in college. No one in the NBA (where the games are 8 minutes longer) even averages 36 points/game, not even 30. (LBJ leads at 29.6 PPG)

Second thing, Your cotton guy (in his freaking senior year) averages 12.5 Points, Cooper averages 13.1 in his F R E S H M A N season

Third, there are other stats to look at when evaluating a player, like assists, Rebounds, and Steals:

Troy Cotton: 12.5 points 3.0 Rebs 1.0 Assist and .7Steals

DJ Cooper: 13.1 points 5.4 Rebs (can you believe that?) 5.9 Assists and 2.5 steals

Go ahead and compare these numbers to any point guard in the NCAA (let alone freshman) and then come back and tell me how overrated cooper is.

cooper does not impress me one bit...he's a decent player, and one day can be one of the best in the MAC. Not the country and I don't see that happening. He's not consistent and has bad scoring droughts. In my opinion Zeke will be the best in the conference for years to come and will be blocking everything coming from coopers hands. I'm just tired of people talking about how great OU is...we beat them 2-3 games this year and Can't beat them twice. And weren't they the 8th seed?

Them winning does not help us 1 bit so if your an akron fan I don't see why you would root for OU. I like the browns, but I will never root for the steelers or ravens...same division. and all you people that like OSU...would you ever root for michigan or penn state?