Euton to Transfer

zippyfan34

If he transfers I don't blame him totally, but at the same time what the hell is he thinking?

Next year he has a chance to play and earn his spot, not to mention he has a ring to pick up at one point for being a MAC Champion basketball player.

Maybe it's just my undying obsession with UA talking but I just don't get it. Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

Like Cap'n said. The Zips have no grey shirts (at least none in basketball).

Two thoughts come to my mind. First is does Dakota have the will to do the required work? Second,

no matter how much work he does he can not vastly improve his foot speed. D-I ball may be just

to fast for Dakota.

All the best to him.

I thought Harney and Tree were gray shirts?

They're non-qualifiers. I don't know how a gray shirt works, but Treadwell & Harney had to simply enroll like any other student, pay for school, attend class & get decent enough grades to make themselves eligible. From everything we've heard it sounds like they've stepped up to the plate and have done it! :rock:

Just speculating here. But if slow foot speed is the primary reason for Euton to leave the Zips program, it doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make it in DI. There are still some schools that run deliberate, slow-down offenses where Euton's 3-point shooting could fit in pretty well.

Just look at WMU's Stainbrook.

Euton can play D-I ball. He can transfer and still have three years to play.

Just speculating here. But if slow foot speed is the primary reason for Euton to leave the Zips program, it doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make it in DI. There are still some schools that run deliberate, slow-down offenses where Euton's 3-point shooting could fit in pretty well.

Stainbrook? Really? That is your example? A guy who doesn't have the physical endurance to stay on the floor, who Zeke pretty much abused in the semi-finals from a program that we have owned for the last half dozen years or so? Excuse me if I sound a bit elitist here, but this program can and should aspire to a lot more than Matt Stainbrook.

Stainbrook? Really? That is your example? A guy who doesn't have the physical endurance to stay on the floor, who Zeke pretty much abused in the semi-finals from a program that we have owned for the last half dozen years or so? Excuse me if I sound a bit elitist here, but this program can and should aspire to a lot more than Matt Stainbrook.

My point is that if Stainbrook can make a D-I roster for a winning team and play significant minutes, Euton most certainly can do the same.

I think Zach was illustrating that Euton could find another D-1 program to play for and not necessarily have to move down to D-2.

Between us on ZN, and by implication, the entire wired universe, I'm pretty excited about where KD is taking the program if less athletic players see the writing on the wall that they won't be getting any PT. It was just last season (after two decisive beatings from the school to the east) that I was lamenting our lack of athleticism. Talk about a quick 180!

• 1 month later...

Very disappointing. I probably had higher hopes for Euton than most on this forum. I spent a lot of time researching him on the internet, and thought that playing a tough schedule against a number of nationally ranked teams on a powerhouse Kentucky HS team would have him well prepared to contribute to the Zips. In retrospect, it may be that his many high-performing HS teammates covered some of his weaknesses.

The biggest criticism against Euton on the Kentucky HS forums was that he was not quick and athletic enough to perform at a high level in DI, and that may be what did him in with the Zips. In the end Euton turned out to be a lot like Swiech. I wish Euton well, same as I did Swiech when he left.

The way KD is recruiting these days, there's less likelihood in the future of seeing players like Euton and Swiech at UA.

• 10 months later...

Looking back on how Euton played while at UA reminds me of how optimistic I was about him based on his 2009 performance against Jared Sullinger in the King James Classic at the JAR:

Consider how highly rated and highly recruited big men Jared Sullinger and Adreian Payne have been. The best hint of Euton's defensive abilities I've seen was a couple of brief lines in a rivals.com report on the 2009 King James Classic:

The vaunted All-Ohio frontline of Jared Sullinger and Adreian Payne was largely held in check because of the strong defensive performances of Parker and Dakotah Euton. Euton was physical with Sullinger and prevented him from getting rebounds.

While it may be unrealistic to think Euton could consistently neutralize scout.com's #1 rated center in the HS class of 2010, the fact that he did so well against Sullinger in the King James Classic suggests that he has the ability and desire to play really good, hard D against anyone. If he plays D like that for KD, you know he's going to get a lot of minutes.

rivals.com link

Looking back on how Euton played while at UA reminds me of how optimistic I was about him based on his 2009 performance against Jared Sullinger in the King James Classic at the JAR:

At this point I'll take Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney over what I saw out of Euton. That was basically the trade off we made, and I think we ended up on the good side of that one.