Wake Forest

On the bright side, it is unlikely any player besides Mattocks will turn professional during the off-season. It sure would be great if Darren elected to stay on another year, but I do not see it. :( At this point, neither Barson nor Caldwell can secure a Generation Adidas contract.
I don't necessarily think they would need to, as they would be able to sign as homegrown players with Columbus and New England, respectively. Don't quote me on this because I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think because they played for those teams' academies they could sign directly with them. Let's just hope that whether or not that is a path they can take, that they chose to stay for their senior year. Although Mattocks is arguably our most important player right now, if we were to only have to really replace him next year, I think it could be a very successful year.
I do not claim to fully understand the GenAd deal, and I understand even less how the MLS academies sign “homegrown” players. I have researched both and I am more confused now than ever. I would love to get my hands on the actual contracts. Suffice it to say that the GenAd contract is a much better, air tight, deal for an underclassman.Any experts out there?

Mostly the changes were of personnel, and not of tactics, but there were definite tactical implications of not playing the same playersGallego not having the same wheels as Yedlin, there were a lot less overlapping runs on the right side Another possible implication is that, when you want to play a high line, it's nice to have pacey centerhalfs (or at least one) who can close down the space left behind for defending balls over the top. A good example would be the Arsenal/Chelsea match this past weekend - Chelsea left themselves really vulnerable by playing a high line because Ivanovic and Terry aren't really all that fast, and the Arsenal wingers (Gervinho and especially Walcott), are incredibly quick. So, they were sort of playing with fire the entire match in that regard. I'm not for sure certain if DG is slower than Gallego, but at a glance he seems a more traditional tall shut-down sort of centerhalf than his freshman counterpart. The first goal was definitely scored on the break, so there's that.The last thing I might say about the backline isn't so much tactical as it is personal - Gallego and Barson have been batterymates all year, and that gives you a certain chemistry I think you can't really replicate on the training ground. So, while I think Matt's a more than adequate technical defender, I think the mere fact that Barson and himself haven't been establishing ways to find themselves on the same page all year partly contributed to the soft-ish goals. I thought the presence of two guys in the midfield we've been thinking of as holders rather than attackers resulted in not quite the rigid triangle we've seen all year, but something a little more fluid. In fact, this was the game with which I was most happy with the centermid play. I liked Holmes back on the wing, because that seemed to give us ability to take people on from both flanks 1v1(especially when Tommy came on for Aodhan). If we were to play a 4-4-2 diamond, I think Holmes would be an ideal CAM, but in our system I think putting him at mid just forces him to sit a bit deeper than where he's most usefulDarren's role was adjusted a bit tonight as well - He wasn't constantly searching for the final ball to slot home, but he also did a lot of standing with his back to goal and holding the ball up to bring others into play. I thought he did surprisingly well at this - Dude's a monster in the air. We also fielded a lineup with a lot more aerial prowess, which paid dividends on the Brenes goal. Tactics and personnel aren't totally separate things.

Mostly the changes were of personnel, and not of tactics, but there were definite tactical implications of not playing the same playersGallego not having the same wheels as Yedlin, there were a lot less overlapping runs on the right side Another possible implication is that, when you want to play a high line, it's nice to have pacey centerhalfs (or at least one) who can close down the space left behind for defending balls over the top. A good example would be the Arsenal/Chelsea match this past weekend - Chelsea left themselves really vulnerable by playing a high line because Ivanovic and Terry aren't really all that fast, and the Arsenal wingers (Gervinho and especially Walcott), are incredibly quick. So, they were sort of playing with fire the entire match in that regard. I'm not for sure certain if DG is slower than Gallego, but at a glance he seems a more traditional tall shut-down sort of centerhalf than his freshman counterpart. The first goal was definitely scored on the break, so there's that.The last thing I might say about the backline isn't so much tactical as it is personal - Gallego and Barson have been batterymates all year, and that gives you a certain chemistry I think you can't really replicate on the training ground. So, while I think Matt's a more than adequate technical defender, I think the mere fact that Barson and himself haven't been establishing ways to find themselves on the same page all year partly contributed to the soft-ish goals. I thought the presence of two guys in the midfield we've been thinking of as holders rather than attackers resulted in not quite the rigid triangle we've seen all year, but something a little more fluid. In fact, this was the game with which I was most happy with the centermid play. I liked Holmes back on the wing, because that seemed to give us ability to take people on from both flanks 1v1(especially when Tommy came on for Aodhan). If we were to play a 4-4-2 diamond, I think Holmes would be an ideal CAM, but in our system I think putting him at mid just forces him to sit a bit deeper than where he's most usefulDarren's role was adjusted a bit tonight as well - He wasn't constantly searching for the final ball to slot home, but he also did a lot of standing with his back to goal and holding the ball up to bring others into play. I thought he did surprisingly well at this - Dude's a monster in the air. We also fielded a lineup with a lot more aerial prowess, which paid dividends on the Brenes goal. Tactics and personnel aren't totally separate things.
Good points all!Can you agree with this? The system and formation were the same, the execution of which changed according to personnel. You offer a good example of this in that Gallego simply cannot speed up the flank as can Yedlin. Nor can Gallego recover at Yedlin’s pace.The shakeup in the back line remains bit of a mystery to me.

The other thing worth mentioning is that we've been playing both saturday/wednesday games a few weeks in a row and some of the changes might have just been about keeping certain players fresh
That's not what Andy Chiu's girlfriend said.
WHat!?!?!?!?!?

On the bright side, it is unlikely any player besides Mattocks will turn professional during the off-season. It sure would be great if Darren elected to stay on another year, but I do not see it. :( At this point, neither Barson nor Caldwell can secure a Generation Adidas contract.
I don't necessarily think they would need to, as they would be able to sign as homegrown players with Columbus and New England, respectively. Don't quote me on this because I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think because they played for those teams' academies they could sign directly with them. Let's just hope that whether or not that is a path they can take, that they chose to stay for their senior year. Although Mattocks is arguably our most important player right now, if we were to only have to really replace him next year, I think it could be a very successful year.
I do not claim to fully understand the GenAd deal, and I understand even less how the MLS academies sign “homegrown” players. I have researched both and I am more confused now than ever. I would love to get my hands on the actual contracts. Suffice it to say that the GenAd contract is a much better, air tight, deal for an underclassman.Any experts out there?
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but as I understand it, the GenAd contract is the better deal. Usually, the pay is higher, plus the player has a guaranteed stipend to return to college and finish his degree at a later date, if he so chooses.

The home grown rule allows MLS to sign those so designated players without them having to enter the draft. I believe the rule states that they have to live in a specific geographic area relative to where the MLS franchise is (maybe 100 miles?) and they need to have been in the MLS teams' academy program for at least one year. I know that at least the Seattle Sounders will offer the" back to college to get the degree thing" for home grown guys so I imagine all the others will do the same. The GenAd contracts,I think, are for four years at 100k a year and are typically only offered to the 10 or so "best " players in the country. They home grown contracts do not come with any financial stipulation as far as I know so the league minimum is at least a starting point.

Perhaps Porter is managing the squad as one would a professional side. Whoever impresses during practices earns the playing time in the first 11, lending no gravity whatsoever to scholarship structure or previous accolades. Consequently, it is likely the lineup will change match to match for the rest of the campaign. Although I can understand Porter managing this way, it does not bode well for a championship season. On the bright side, it is unlikely any player besides Mattocks will turn professional during the off-season. It sure would be great if Darren elected to stay on another year, but I do not see it. :( At this point, neither Barson nor Caldwell can secure a Generation Adidas contract.
I can only hope Caleb is not using the "Robin Fraser method", and neither developing young talent, not giving experienced players the opportunity to star, as our young ex-Zips players @ Home Depot Center are experiencing.On the draft side -- the MLS draft guru (forget his name) has come out with his first draft list of the top 25 players available, and only Darren Mottocks is included. I still believe Barson should be a high DP.

The home grown rule allows MLS to sign those so designated players without them having to enter the draft. I believe the rule states that they have to live in a specific geographic area relative to where the MLS franchise is (maybe 100 miles?) and they need to have been in the MLS teams' academy program for at least one year. I know that at least the Seattle Sounders will offer the" back to college to get the degree thing" for home grown guys so I imagine all the others will do the same. The GenAd contracts,I think, are for four years at 100k a year and are typically only offered to the 10 or so "best " players in the country. They home grown contracts do not come with any financial stipulation as far as I know so the league minimum is at least a starting point.
There is no set amount -- it's negotiated. Zakuani got like $175K, which was a record. My question is -- do they get a market "salary" on top of the GA $$?

Perhaps Porter is managing the squad as one would a professional side. Whoever impresses during practices earns the playing time in the first 11, lending no gravity whatsoever to scholarship structure or previous accolades. Consequently, it is likely the lineup will change match to match for the rest of the campaign. Although I can understand Porter managing this way, it does not bode well for a championship season. On the bright side, it is unlikely any player besides Mattocks will turn professional during the off-season. It sure would be great if Darren elected to stay on another year, but I do not see it. :( At this point, neither Barson nor Caldwell can secure a Generation Adidas contract.
I can only hope Caleb is not using the "Robin Fraser method", and neither developing young talent, not giving experienced players the opportunity to star, as our young ex-Zips players @ Home Depot Center are experiencing.On the draft side -- the MLS draft guru (forget his name) has come out with his first draft list of the top 25 players available, and only Darren Mottocks is included. I still believe Barson should be a high DP.
I believe you're thinking of Ives Galarcep and the reason he didn't have them on his list is because they are already affiliated with MLS clubs and could sign with them if they wanted. That is actually where I got the idea that Barson and Caldwell would not have to receive GA contracts to leave early. The reason this hasn't happened too much yet is because the MLS academy system is relatively new so there haven't been that many college age players who have met the criteria to sign as a homegrown. But for example, last year Ethan White left Maryland early to sign as a homegrown with DC United and Aaron Horton left Louisville early to sign with the Crew. Neither of these players had GA contracts and going forward if some of our players are eager enough to go pro without getting offered a GA contract, they can do so. I don't know how much time each of these players have invested in their academy teams, or how much is mandated, but Scotty has played for New England, Chad, Eric Stevenson, Wils Trapp and I think Tommy Schmidt have all played for Columbus, Bryan Gallego is a product of the Red Bulls Academy, and of course DeAndre played for the Sounders Academy. I think any of them could leave without receiving a GA contract if they wanted. That's about as much as I know, for what it's worth. Maybe bisbe knows more than me.

The other thing worth mentioning is that we've been playing both saturday/wednesday games a few weeks in a row and some of the changes might have just been about keeping certain players fresh
That's not what Andy Chiu's girlfriend said.
I don't get if that's a joke or not.
Ha kept you waiting all day. It was a joke for Ando but no one else would really get it. At the game the other day he and I were talking about the lineup and I said something about Andy Chiu and how he is Asian and a girl in front of us turned around and said she was his girlfriend. It was uncomfortable.