It's Offical

akzipper

AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron football program will have a new leader in 2012, as Director of Athletics Tom Wistrcill announced Saturday that Rob Ianello will not return as head coach.

"Earlier today, I informed Coach Ianello that he has been relieved of his duties, effective immediately," Wistrcill said. "In some areas, the program has made considerable progress under his leadership. Unfortunately, the results on the field fell far short of our expectations. After a comprehensive evaluation, I have determined that our football program needs to move in a new direction."

Hopefully that direction is UP and not down to Div II

he only thing more disappointing than our season, is who they decide to replace him.

I hate to say this but I think we still have some rough waters ahead of us. With the relief we feel now that he's been let go, the disappointment we will feel when they announce the new coach will be BAD. I just don't have faith that they will make a good hire and the general public will answer the announcement with...."who?". Just like we did with Ianello, and just like us Browns fans did with Pat Shurmur.

Oh NE ohio if only people cared about soccer...

Not sure how to change the topic title? I misspelled the dang thing out of excitement

GOZIPS announcement

Personally, I would be more than happy to change the offical spelling of the word than to change one thing about this posting. Many thanks to the ZNo members who appear to be the only people connected to this program that know how to achieve a goal.

he only thing more disappointing than our season, is who they decide to replace him.

I hate to say this but I think we still have some rough waters ahead of us. With the relief we feel now that he's been let go, the disappointment we will feel when they announce the new coach will be BAD. I just don't have faith that they will make a good hire and the general public will answer the announcement with...."who?". Just like we did with Ianello, and just like us Browns fans did with Pat Shurmur.

Oh NE ohio if only people cared about soccer...

[/quote

On the OSU board insiders are saying Fickel is the guy.

I just don't have faith that they will make a good hire and the general public will answer the announcement with...."who?". Just like we did with Ianello, and just like us Browns fans did with Pat Shurmur.

As we said two years ago, this is the ONE hiring that Proenza CANNOT afford to screw up. He did JUST THAT, after ignoring all quality suggestions, including Luke Fickell, when his single-minded AD zeroed in on one dufus.

If the mistake is repeated, we call for Proenza's job, in addition to Wistrcill--who should, by all rights, be gone now, as well.

The hire must be a credible "name," a charismatic person who Akronites will CONNECT WITH INSTANTLY, someone who will immediately bring excitement to campus before he coaches his first game. Someone who delivers hope, an established pattern of winning, someone the players will run thru a brick wall for...someone who will UNITE a highly-fractured fanbase--students, alumni, colleagues, the community. It's a tall order, and it CANNOT BE BOTCHED AGAIN!!!

AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron football program will have a new leader in 2012, as Director of Athletics Tom Wistrcill announced Saturday that Rob Ianello will not return as head coach.

"Earlier today, I informed Coach Ianello that he has been relieved of his duties, effective immediately," Wistrcill said. "In some areas, the program has made considerable progress under his leadership. Unfortunately, the results on the field fell far short of our expectations. After a comprehensive evaluation, I have determined that our football program needs to move in a new direction."

Hopefully that direction is UP and not down to Div II

Wonder how much they will try to raise ticket prices to cover all that salary?

I had to laugh at the part when the AD said, "In some areas, the program has made considerable progress under his leadership." Progress in what? Being terrible for two full seasons?

Now I hope the right guy is hired to turn around the football program. With this AD, I'm not sure he would. He's going to hire another one of his buddies. Please TW and hire someone with experience and not a friend of yours. Let the hunt for a new coach begin.

I just looked at RI's wiki entry to see if it had been updated to reflect his firing. It hasn't, but someone has edited it so the first paragraph reads: "He is somehow still the head coach at tThe University of Akron despite being the worst coach in NCAA history."

As hard as this has to be for him, this has to be a huge weight off his shoulders at the same time. He, of all people, had to know that he was in way, way over his head. He'll land on his feet as an assistant next year, never to be a head coach again.