2013 offers

And we are also getting valuable playing time from freshman like Andrew Pratt, Conner Hundley, Amani Davis, etc.... I have no problem with picking up a few juco guys, I just hope it isn't the bulk of our classes. We need to start building depth by getting freshman in here.

I am kind of surprised that there would be as much second guessing about recruiting at this point in the season. We all see what this staff has done with the players that were already here, as well as the true freshmen that they were able to find and bring into the program with about 3 weeks before signing day.

I personally am going to continue trusting that this staff knows a hell of a lot more than I do about building a winning football team.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am kind of surprised that there would be as much second guessing about recruiting at this point in the season. We all see what this staff has done with the players that were already here, as well as the true freshmen that they were able to find and bring into the program with about 3 weeks before signing day.

I personally am going to continue trusting that this staff knows a hell of a lot more than I do about building a winning football team.

I am not second guessing at all. I totally trust coach Bowden. Obviously, coach Bowden would prefer to take as many talented high school kids as possible. My point was that it seems like we aren't getting enough of those type kids YET, so he is filling those holes with juco's. I read all of the recruiting sites and I don't see many kids with Akron on their top priority list. I am sure this will change in the next year or so when kids see the wins and the gaudy offensive stats.

I've never posted in one of the recruiting threads but saw this on ESPN today. Anyone heard anything about Heath Harding?

It might not be against the stiffest of competition, but 20 yards per carry is still 20 yards per carry. That is what Dayton (Ohio) Christian senior athlete Heath Harding is doing this season.

Entering this past weekend’s game, Harding was leading a 6-0 Dayton Christian squad, carrying the ball 64 times for more than 1,200 yards and 22 total touchdowns.

Last week, Akron became the latest program to offer the 5-foot-10, 170-pound running back/cornerback. Actually, Harding said the Akron offer has been out there for a while, but he just did not know it.

• 4 weeks later...
I like the formula. 25% JUCO and 75% other (primarily Fr.'s).

You can't build a progrum on JUCO's and transfers, but you can fill some gaping holes pretty well while you're building the progrum.

I agree. My percentage might be a little higher next year with around 33%, but 25% is still a good number. I'd start out at 33% of the recruiting class and then try to taper that percent down to around 10% in four years and keep that at a permanent level.

I agree there is a need to go heavier on JUCO for the near term. There is a big missing piece of information however: how many of the non-qualifiers from the 2012 class will be on the team next year? IIRC there were about 5 or 6 players, some of them highly touted (Arlington McClinton comes to mind), who didn't qualify in 2012 but may surprise in 2013. The last I heard, someone posted here that Arlington was enrolled and in class at UA. There are also a few guys (James Price being one) who had been on the team, but ran into grade issues at UA. I wonder if GT can shed some light?

I've never posted in one of the recruiting threads but saw this on ESPN today. Anyone heard anything about Heath Harding?

It might not be against the stiffest of competition, but 20 yards per carry is still 20 yards per carry. That is what Dayton (Ohio) Christian senior athlete Heath Harding is doing this season.

Entering this past weekend’s game, Harding was leading a 6-0 Dayton Christian squad, carrying the ball 64 times for more than 1,200 yards and 22 total touchdowns.

Last week, Akron became the latest program to offer the 5-foot-10, 170-pound running back/cornerback. Actually, Harding said the Akron offer has been out there for a while, but he just did not know it.

We should definitely make our offers directly to recruits so they don't have to stumble upon them somewhere out there.

We should definitely make our offers directly to recruits so they don't have to stumble upon them somewhere out there.

Too many NCAA restrictions about how you can contact a player and when. We usually just tell their coach, who relays it to the player. Every school does it this way.

The problem is that the high school coaches may or may not decide to actually tell the player. Maybe they don't want their player to go to Akron, so they never bother telling them that we're offering a scholarship.

Too many NCAA restrictions about how you can contact a player and when. We usually just tell their coach, who relays it to the player. Every school does it this way.

The problem is that the high school coaches may or may not decide to actually tell the player. Maybe they don't want their player to go to Akron, so they never bother telling them that we're offering a scholarship.

My sons coach is a little like that. I keep telling him I want my youngest to go to Akron with his brother. Coach then springs on me a few big ten schools like him and he has talked to them. I dont think he would of ever told me that if I wouldn't of mentioned Akron. So much negativity about Akron really pisses me off. The school is freekin beautiful. Any who ,Akron hasnt showed any interest in my youngest. I think his lack of a good 40 time has hurt him. On the other hand , there is so much talent in the surrounding area I cant believe Akron cant land these recruits. All you hear about is the D Bookers. Coventry has a OT on there team Tyler Butler. 6'5'' 310 lbs. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/547277/highlights .Is he getting offers?

My sons coach is a little like that. I keep telling him I want my youngest to go to Akron with his brother. Coach then springs on me a few big ten schools like him and he has talked to them. I dont think he would of ever told me that if I wouldn't of mentioned Akron. So much negativity about Akron really pisses me off. The school is freekin beautiful. Any who ,Akron hasnt showed any interest in my youngest. I think his lack of a good 40 time has hurt him. On the other hand , there is so much talent in the surrounding area I cant believe Akron cant land these recruits. All you hear about is the D Bookers. Coventry has a OT on there team Tyler Butler. 6'5'' 310 lbs. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/547277/highlights .Is he getting offers?

That's a big boy!

Is your older son redshirting this season?

That's a big boy!

Is your older son redshirting this season?

No, he wasnt eligible this year to participate. He has been training hard all year. Been to a few AU home games and he believes .Cant wait to see how he stacks up against the other guys. Just a FYI. If you guys want to see him play next week he will be playing for Springfields Alumni game vs Tallmage. The admission is 10 bucks but I have 10 tickets for half price at my work. Just stop by 2613 rhoadesdale ave , Akron Ohio 44312 330-734-0300. 11-18-12 @ 7pmgame time http://www.facebook.com/pages/Springfield-...=ts&fref=ts Dont forget the turkey day game at STV STM Thanksgiving day 10am. All presale tickets go to the schools. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003025748798

Alumni Trailer,

Other vids of Dillon.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.php/view...mp;name=DillonM

I know some guys hate it when parents do this but I am proud to show his accomplishments.

I like the formula. 25% JUCO and 75% other (primarily Fr.'s).

You can't build a progrum on JUCO's and transfers, but you can fill some gaping holes pretty well while you're building the progrum.

I found out that we should apparently expect the exact opposite ratio for this year only. Got to get the ship righted first before the long term plan pays dividends.

I think the coaches might be finished recruiting for the 2013 class. The focus now appears to be on offering players for 2014.

It kind of makes sense. We have only 14 seniors graduating. We have seven or eight known verbal commitments and I think six or seven greyshirts who signed last year but aren't on the roster yet and will count against the 2013 scholarship total. Add in a few unannounced JUCO guys, and you have a complete, if small, recruiting class.