RPI Watch

zippy5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought, RPI will still be important when it comes to NCAA tournament seeding, so winning out from here is still an important goal.

Live RPI shows the Zips loss only dropped them from 61 to 63 (ORU's win moved them up from 46 to 40).

Lots of other games going on that will also affect RPI. But it appears that the Zips can still finish this season with their best RPI ever. Previous best was 67 in 2006-07.

Just for reference purposes, how much would we have risen had we beaten ORU ? Because, that was really out last chance to make any meaningful jump in RPI since every team we play the remainder of the year would have somewhat-lower to much-lower RPIs.

I still see an ORU win as only keeping extremely remote chances of an At-Large bid alive.

@skip-zip, you can see for yourself where RPIForecast projected the Zips' final RPI to be based on various projected final records. These are all speculative approximations, and I really doubt the Zips could ever have risen as high as the 20s. But if the Zips had won today and every other regular season and MAC tournament game, I think they could have been awfully close to 30.

Zips on RPIForecast.com

Zips fans often talk about the lack of respect UA gets. Well, at least we can say that the Zips are respected by the mathematical formula used to calculate RPI.

The Zips were ranked #59 prior to the ORU game. Today, despite losing to both ORU and OU, the Zips are ranked #58 on Live RPI.

Even though the Zips' 19-9 record (RPI only includes D-I games) is not spectacular, the higher SOS this season is helping keep the Zips ranked higher in RPI than they've ever been before.

While the Zips' home loss to Buffalo briefly dropped them back into the 70s, the road win over Can't brought them right back to #61 on Live RPI. Two neutral court wins at the Q over decent MAC teams would probably put them back in the mid-50s.

While RPI helps determine NCAA tournament seeding, I doubt that a mid-50s RPI would be enough to get them above the #14 seed where Lunardi continues to project them. But at least that would be one step up from last season's #15 seed. And it would be the highest final season RPI ever recorded by a Zips team.

While the Zips' home loss to Buffalo briefly dropped them back into the 70s, the road win over Can't brought them right back to #61 on Live RPI. Two neutral court wins at the Q over decent MAC teams would probably put them back in the mid-50s.

While RPI helps determine NCAA tournament seeding, I doubt that a mid-50s RPI would be enough to get them above the #14 seed where Lunardi continues to project them. But at least that would be one step up from last season's #15 seed. And it would be the highest final season RPI ever recorded by a Zips team.

It would stink being the #1 team in the MAC and only getting one seed higher than our 6th place MAC team got last year. However, I don't know how you can really get much higher with a 50-60 RPI and 10 losses.

Surprisingly, the Zips' win over Can't on a neutral court plus other tournament action has resulted in the Zips leaping all the way up to #51 tonight on Live RPI.

A win over OU should push the Zips up into the 40s, which would be by far their best ever RPI at the end of a regular season.

This would all but guarantee a #14 seed, and possibly a #13.

Just gotta beat the Bobkitties now.

Yet another amazing RPI number for the Zips. After losing to OU on a neutral court, the Zips dropped from #51 only to #55, and OU leaped up from the 60s to #47.

That #55 is the highest RPI the Zips have ever had after the conclusion of the MAC tournament.

For perspective, Oral Roberts had the highest RPI of any team that did not receive an at-large NCAA tournament bid this year, and ORU's final RPI is #51.

So we Zips fans should look at the 2011-2012 season as a major breakthrough it terms of one of the key elements in being considered for an at-large NCAA tournament bid. Just a couple of more wins (West Virginia, VCU, etc.) could have pushed the Zips into the magic zone of being in the at-large discussion.

The key was OOC SOS. The Zips ended up with the 39th best OOC SOS in the country, and that helped offset the MAC West factor and give the Zips an overall SOS of #81.

So the Zips' scheduling this season finally reached critical mass. We need to schedule as good or better from now on. If we win a few more, we're serious at-large contenders.

We're almost there.

Yet another amazing RPI number for the Zips. After losing to OU on a neutral court, the Zips dropped from #51 only to #55, and OU leaped up from the 60s to #47.

That #55 is the highest RPI the Zips have ever had after the conclusion of the MAC tournament.

For perspective, Oral Roberts had the highest RPI of any team that did not receive an at-large NCAA tournament bid this year, and ORU's final RPI is #51.

So we Zips fans should look at the 2011-2012 season as a major breakthrough it terms of one of the key elements in being considered for an at-large NCAA tournament bid. Just a couple of more wins (West Virginia, VCU, etc.) could have pushed the Zips into the magic zone of being in the at-large discussion.

The key was OOC SOS. The Zips ended up with the 39th best OOC SOS in the country, and that helped offset the MAC West factor and give the Zips an overall SOS of #81.

So the Zips' scheduling this season finally reached critical mass. We need to schedule as good or better from now on. If we win a few more, we're serious at-large contenders.

We're almost there.

Yep, the kind of schedule the Zips played was perfect for reasonably getting at-large consideration.

KD didn't go all Charlie Coles and schedule everybody and their momma. At the same time, he didn't go typical KD and schedule mostly bad directional schools and HBCUs.

Let's get the same type of schedule next year, but simply win a majority of those games (a lack of suspensions will help. too). If any three (and maybe two) of these games: @Valpo, @MTSU, @CSU, @Oral Roberts or vs. VCU go the Zips' way, they are in. Only the MTSU game wasn't close and that was at the height of the suspensions/injuries.

And that's not even counting WVU.

We need to schedule as good or better from now on. If we win a few more, we're serious at-large contenders.

We're almost there.

Yep. Don't take our foot off the pedal now !!

I know Iona's At-Large is getting some criticism right now. They didn't have any Top-50 wins, and I believe we didn't either. But they did have a #41 RPI. So, it would seem that being Top-40 in the RPI might be the MINIMUM number for us to get into any serious discussion. Maybe a few big wins can get you in with a lower number, since I believe the lowest team to get in had a #53 RPI.

It's interesting to look at this. Gives us some kind of guide, at least.