Miami Game

taxpayer

I would have guessed Gilliam had 4-6 points in this game. He was the leading scorer with 14. None of the MAC West teams can knock the Zips out of a top 4 seed now. A win against BGSU and top four is guaranteed. The last MAC team to start 11-1 in league play was the Can't State Elite 8 squad so that's a nice sign too. And while I am thinking about it, I really like that the Bracketbusters gives a break from league play.

When you have 9 players who could all be starters, and there is continuous substitution, you eventually start wearing the other team down. This becomes more obvious in the second half as the other team's players have been challenged by one wave of fresh, quality players after another. So, yes, the Zips are definitely a second half team.

One interesting stat tonight is that Gilliam played 30 minutes -- second only to Rico's 32 minutes. I believe that's the most minutes Gilliam has played in any game this season. He's been slowly building up his PT as the season has gone on by continually improving his defense. There was never any doubt about his offense. KD acknowledged in the post-game interview that Gilliam played a good game.

Tree obviously had another good game. But Harney has been struggling a little. A few times tonight he flipped the ball up at the bucket and missed badly. This is in contrast to his early season performance, when he was a consistently strong finisher. Hopefully it's just a little bump in the road and he'll return to his early season form.

Attendance:

Awful. It was particularly sickening to see the tons of no-shows in the lower sections. And a sparse attendance in the upper sections. With the no-shows that were actually counted in that 3,000 "announced attendance", I bet there may not have been 2,000 people there tonight. Absolutely pathetic for a Top-60 team.

Charlie's Meltdown:

I have no idea how he got nose to nose with an official and tongue lashed him for a good 30 seconds, and did not get a T ????

And I sure wish I knew what Charlie was saying to Quincy. He started pointing his finger and really was yelling at him. All I know is that Qunicy turned away and laughed.

I really thought Charlie was going to have another heart attack.

When you have 9 players who could all be starters, and there is continuous substitution, you eventually start wearing the other team down. This becomes more obvious in the second half as the other team's players have been challenged by one wave of fresh, quality players after another. So, yes, the Zips are definitely a second half team.

One interesting stat tonight is that Gilliam played 30 minutes -- second only to Rico's 32 minutes. I believe that's the most minutes Gilliam has played in any game this season. He's been slowly building up his PT as the season has gone on by continually improving his defense. There was never any doubt about his offense. KD acknowledged in the post-game interview that Gilliam played a good game.

Tree obviously had another good game. But Harney has been struggling a little. A few times tonight he flipped the ball up at the bucket and missed badly. This is in contrast to his early season performance, when he was a consistently strong finisher. Hopefully it's just a little bump in the road and he'll return to his early season form.

If Tree plays 40 minutes for a season he might lead the country in rebounds. A few more minutes and he would have had the double double. He is a monster under the boards.

Very impressed with Tree tonight. Thought he played hard, rebounded well and finished when had the opportunity.

He's starting to come around on defense too. He arguably got the better of his matchup with Mavunga, and the Zips weren't having to bring help for him every time down the floor. At this point I am liking Tree more than Harney who seems to not care about defense one lick and is starting to look out of sorts on offense as well.

Attendance is what it is. It was a Wednesday night game, which tends to draw less fans as it is. Add in that most fans can't stand watching Charlie ball and you are set up for a poor attendance night.

Very impressed with Tree tonight. Thought he played hard, rebounded well and finished when had the opportunity.
That's why he got the Steve French's MVP of the game. Well deserved.

He should play more down the stretch when we have tougher games, he needs to take some minutes away from somebody.

That's why he got the Steve French's MVP of the game. Well deserved.

He should play more down the stretch when we have tougher games, he needs to take some minutes away from somebody.

Here's the problem. He is the only player capable of filling in for Zeke right now. So, using him for too many minutes elsewhere is a big, big gamble if Zeke gets in foul trouble. I think the fact that you never see Zeke and Treadwell on the floor at the same time is by design.

He's starting to come around on defense too. He arguably got the better of his matchup with Mavunga, and the Zips weren't having to bring help for him every time down the floor. At this point I am liking Tree more than Harney who seems to not care about defense one lick and is starting to look out of sorts on offense as well.

Attendance is what it is. It was a Wednesday night game, which tends to draw less fans as it is. Add in that most fans can't stand watching Charlie ball and you are set up for a poor attendance night.

I was able to watch some of the game online tonight. Tree's matchup with Mavunga is what stood out to me. He went toe-to-toe with possibly the single best player in the league - freshman -vs- senior - and did just fine. The sky is the limit for Tree.

Also, though I was planning on coming tonight, as I've previously stated, I don't invite friends or take guests to the Miami game anymore. As we all know, Miami plays a boring brand of basketball. W's are important, but none-the-less, a night of basketball is supposed to be an entertaining evening. I've been personally embarrassed by those ugly Miami games too many times.

Bye, bye, Charlie!

Oh, and btw, I really like Miami's 6'8" F Jon Harris. He's from Twinsburg & I was able to see him play in the Summit -vs- Stark County All-Star Game a couple years back against Josh Egner. He was the best player on the floor that night. He's smooth with the ball, 6'8" and can hit the three off a stop-n-pop. If Charlie Coles retires, I wonder if Jon would be interested in transfering to UA?

If Tree plays 40 minutes for a season he might lead the country in rebounds. A few more minutes and he would have had the double double. He is a monster under the boards.

it's very possible. he is very active and it seems like he actually " likes" to rebound the ball along with being blessed with the ability.

:wave: Yes, I would like to know what the coach said to Q. Their 3 pointers were shut down. The team played well BUT they still cam do better. Just keep working very hard. This next game will be a tough one they can beat OR but will need to play their best ball, which they can.

I wish I could be at the game, I will be watching. GO ZIPS beat OR.

Miami postgame wrap from George Thomas.

Someone had commented about Charlie Coles saying something to Quincy. Well, according to the article, it sounds as though Charlie may have been frustrated because Q so effectively shut down Miami's 3-ball.

Miami postgame wrap from George Thomas.

Someone had commented about Charlie Coles saying something to Quincy. Well, according to the article, it sounds as though Charlie may have been frustrated because Q so effectively shut down Miami's 3-ball.

It was right after the techinical was called on that Miami player after he and Alex got in a little altercation. Quncy was standing on that side of the floor near the Miami bench as the refs were sorting everything out, and Charlie was pointing his finger and yelling at him looking like his head was going to pop off. It lasted a little while. Quincy seemed to turn away and laugh. And that was right before Charlie got nose to nose with the official.

I just wonder what that was all about.

Yes, Quincy was watching #14 like a HAWK in the 2nd half.

It was right after the techinical was called on that Miami player after he and Alex got in a little altercation. Quncy was standing on that side of the floor near the Miami bench as the refs were sorting everything out, and Charlie was pointing his finger and yelling at him looking like his head was going to pop off. It lasted a little while. Quincy seemed to turn away and laugh. And that was right before Charlie got nose to nose with the official.

I just wonder what that was all about.

Yes, Quincy was watching #14 like a HAWK in the 2nd half.

I got the complete, and I mean complete, opposite perspective from that conversation. It appeared that Q and Coles was just talking, Dambrot looked over and did not do anything because there was nothing to be angry about.

Coles was upset after he found out that a T was called on his player, which was after the conversation with Q. Coles was talking to him during the meeting with the officals, and when the T was announced, that was when he exploded.