Dambrot says 'yes' to Duquesne this time

On 3/25/2017 at 10:17 PM, UAZip0510 said:

YSU hires Jerrod Calhoun.  McFadden was a finalist.

To those who want a "Shake Up" in our staff, maybe this would have been a good thing for you if Rick left?  I'm not seeing anything about this anywhere except a "reportedly" statement from the highly-recognized source called Hoop Dirt?  YSU isn't even saying anything about the hire itself until sometime today. 

Now I'm seeing people wanting some young ex-players of ours who have never coached before to be our next coach?  This is getting crazy, guys. 

It really makes you appreciate the longevity and success we've achieved with having Keith here for so long.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, akzipper said:

It worries me that this was tweeted before he actually met with them. And why meet with them AGAIN unless you are interested in the job. It looked bad a few years ago when he met with them, and it looks even worse now. 

Perhaps as leverage to get more money and years added to his current contact.

21 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Perhaps as leverage to get more money and years added to his current contact.

I'd use it as leverage to get a new arena built. Only problem is that Duquesne's arena is actually worse than the JAR.

Imagine going from recruiting against Kent State, to recruiting against Pitt and RMU. Two teams that are much more talented and have better facilities than Duq. Good luck with that.

Edited by akzipper

12 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Interesting that Robby is at Pitt now.

I'm wondering how a monumental career decision would be influenced at all by the fact that your kid is playing a sport in the same city for another school......and for only ONE year.  

Funny, but it's surely a coincidence.  That crossed my mind too.  

Now.......If Keith was being pursued for the PITT job, that might be an entirely different story.  :D

25 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I'd use it as leverage to get a new arena built. Only problem is that Duquesne's arena is actually worse than the JAR.

Imagine going from recruiting against Kent State, to recruiting against Pitt and RMU. Two teams that are much more talented and have better facilities than Duq. Good luck with that.

Duquesne just approved a $40M renovation to the Palumbo Center. I wouldn't really say they compete for many recruits with RMU. They're definitely not more talented than Duquesne. For shits and giggles - Duquesne beat Pitt this year as well. Pitt also has like 5 total returning players after a mass exodus.. If the timing was ever right for Duquesne to do something with their program, this is it.

Edited by zippy5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If Keith was being pursued for the PITT job, that might be an entirely different story.  :D

You can walk from Pitt to Duquesne. If he lived in Shadyside with Tomlin, he would be closer to Pitt. 

31 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

You can walk from Pitt to Duquesne. 

No, I wasn't mistaken about the distance between Duquesne and Pitt.  I meant that the extra perk of seeing his son next year would be nice for him if he was being pursued for the certainly much-more-lucrative PItt job.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I'm wondering how a monumental career decision would be influenced at all by the fact that your kid is playing a sport in the same city for another school......and for only ONE year.  

Funny, but it's surely a coincidence.  That crossed my mind too.  

Now.......If Keith was being pursued for the PITT job, that might be an entirely different story.  :D

I bring it up more because the story always told is how his mom taught at UA, he went to UA, his kids went to UA, and that it's a big factor in why he has stayed.  If he leaves I'm certain Robby being at Pitt isn't the reason, but little things can certainly add up.

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

To those who want a "Shake Up" in our staff, maybe this would have been a good thing for you if Rick left?  I'm not seeing anything about this anywhere except a "reportedly" statement from the highly-recognized source called Hoop Dirt?  YSU isn't even saying anything about the hire itself until sometime today. 

Now I'm seeing people wanting some young ex-players of ours who have never coached before to be our next coach?  This is getting crazy, guys. 

It really makes you appreciate the longevity and success we've achieved with having Keith here for so long.  

DO NOT believe McFadden was a finalist. More of a formality to please YTown groups.  A shake up is definitely needed. And IM sorry, but NO ONE on staff right now is a coach or HC material.  NO ONE is involved with supporters like myself that wants to continue to donate $.  Even as a guy on the business side, I see 0 personality/relationship and I can see the conflict of relating to the players during the games.  And all we talk about and complain about is raising $$$ for an arena upgrade.  Like I have said many times, KD needs help. Love he has stayed here this long and wish many more.

But DU is planning 40M in arena upgrades to one that is just as nice as the JAR already, if not better.  Probably over 1M per year. Closer to son... yada yada yada.  Is UA willing to poor more $ to keep KD? There goes $ that we all should be going to area makeovers or whatever.  

• Like 1

Why would Akron add money to his contract?... I would guess the program would be better off financially to have him grab  bigger $ elsewhere, and his assistants, lose all their games, and draw 1,000 fans per game. College sports are a business-- and at Akron they are all bad businesses....very bad businesses.  I cant believe that a total spending freeze, or significant cuts within the athletic dept hasn't taken place...maybe it's coming?

Edited by morris buttermaker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

DO NOT believe McFadden was a finalist. More of a formality to please YTown groups.  A shake up is definitely needed. And IM sorry, but NO ONE on staff right now is a coach or HC material.  NO ONE is involved with supporters like myself that wants to continue to donate $.  Even as a guy on the business side, I see 0 personality/relationship and I can see the conflict of relating to the players during the games.  And all we talk about and complain about is raising $$$ for an arena upgrade.  Like I have said many times, KD needs help. Love he has stayed here this long and wish many more.

But DU is planning 40M in arena upgrades to one that is just as nice as the JAR already, if not better.  Probably over 1M per year. Closer to son... yada yada yada.  Is UA willing to poor more $ to keep KD? There goes $ that we all should be going to area makeovers or whatever.  

Incorrect based on what I heard.  

I don't think this is only about money for KD.  It matters, but I think going to the A10, having a bigger budget to work with, arena renovation, etc are bigger factors.  

With Robbie transferring to a Pittsburgh school, Josh leaving, the Dukes making renovations to their arena, and 4 years of not making the NCAA tournament, it may be tempting.  I do not think it would be good move since in todays climate if you are a new coach and are not successful immediately, it seems like you could be gone and looking for another job.  KD is firmly planted in Akron and could stay here till he is 65.

We have had a number of MAC coaches move to bigger and better things.  Have any of them lasted?  

McFadden was never a finalist anywhere and Dambrot shall not be getting any additional raises.

He makes a $1M a year and he has the most comfortable situation a coach can ever dream about. He has the freedom to hire his buddies as assistants and schedule whoever he wants and keep his job until he retires. I think he is too smart to finish his career losing at Duquesne.  

49 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Why would Akron add money to his contract?... I would guess the program would be better off financially to have him grab  bigger $ elsewhere, and his assistants, lose all their games, and draw 1,000 fans per game. College sports are a business-- and at Akron they are all bad businesses....very bad businesses.  I cant believe that a total spending freeze, or significant cuts within the athletic dept hasn't taken place...maybe it's coming?

Agree! They would be better off calling his "Bluff". I don't believe he will leave.  And I don't think anyone thinks so. 

41 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

I don't think this is only about money for KD.  It matters, but I think going to the A10, having a bigger budget to work with, arena renovation, etc are bigger factors.  

In this case, he is gone. DU has ALL of that.  and will nearly DOUBLE his salary.  

19 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

McFadden was never a finalist anywhere and Dambrot shall not be getting any additional raises.

He makes a $1M a year and he has the most comfortable situation a coach can ever dream about. He has the freedom to hire his buddies as assistants and schedule whoever he wants and keep his job until he retires. I think he is too smart to finish his career losing at Duquesne.  

Agree with all! Except $1M per year.  He did this year, but that won't continue. DU will double his salary easy. If it doesn't work out, he will be smart enough to add enough years to his contract, and he will retire.  He won't be hurt.  7 years there with 1.2M compared to 7 with 600K and a better budget to work with. 

1 hour ago, Blackburn said:

But DU is planning 40M in arena upgrades to one that is just as nice as the JAR already, if not better.  

Have you been to Dayton Arena?  I have.  A big concrete hole in the ground with seats.  Everything in that place is old and dungeon-looking.  For example, if you sit low enough you can't even get cell. phone reception.  You can bitch about the JAR, but I can think of plenty of better comparisons if you wish to view the JAR unfavorably to other arenas.  

59 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Why would Akron add money to his contract?

Just take the 12k NIT bonus as your indication.  Nobody at Akron wants to lose him.  We'll do what we can to keep him.  And he doesn't want to go. 

2 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

I bring it up more because the story always told is how his mom taught at UA, he went to UA, his kids went to UA, and that it's a big factor in why he has stayed.  If he leaves I'm certain Robby being at Pitt isn't the reason, but little things can certainly add up.

Yes, I guess Robby no longer being here would remove one of his connections to Akron.  

Edited by skip-zip

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Have you been to Dayton Arena?  I have.  A big concrete hole in the ground with seats.  Everything in that place is old and dungeon-looking.  For example, if you sit low enough you can't even get cell. phone reception.  You can bitch about the JAR, but I can think of plenty of better comparisons if you wish to view the JAR unfavorably to other arenas.  

DU = Duquesne, not Dayton.

From everything I've heard, Dayton is an incredible place to watch a CBB game.

48 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Dayton's arena is so horrible that the NCAA decides to play the 'first four' games there every season :rolleyes:

Dayton is very supportive of the Tournament.  The locals are the reason that there are sellout crowds every year.  And they have the size with 13,000 capacity, and no conflicts to worry about with the large NBA/Concert arenas that are often used in the first rounds of the tournament.  

The favorable ends there.  Please, go there and report back.  You'll see exactly what i described above.  

Sorry guys about the mix up between Dayton and Duquesne.  Maybe I thought about that because the Dayton job is open too.  But Dayton is, in fact, in the middle of a multi-million dollar upgrade that will occur in 3 phases.   Trust me.  It needs it.  

Edited by skip-zip