GT Article on Emerging Secondary

johnnyzip84

Link

Win or lose, I'm really looking forward to seeing a secondary that plays virtually all man-to-man defense. The passive strategy of the last 4-5 years was hard to watch. Of course if the pass rush and the run defense don't steadily improve, any improvement in the secondary might not have much of an overall effect on team performance.

The MAC is a passing league above all else. Pass rush is a concern, but a good secondary can make a huge difference. Run defense is really an afterthought.

Opponents Rushing yards against the Zips 2011 - 2635 - 219 yards a game. Passing - 2491 - 207 yards a game.

Trust me, Run Defense is not an "afterthought".

In high school, we played strictly man defense. Man to man defense puts a lot of pressure on the secondary. I viewed the secondary as the weakest spot of the defense last season (defensive line could be debatable as well). I dont know if we have the athletes capable of playing man to man the majority of the time. Better hope we get a solid pass rush, I think the secondary will need the help.

I believe that most of our secondary concerns were due to 2 things...

1. Scheme. We always played zone and the guys looked lost. Tight ends were running free by 20 yards. That has nothing to do with athleticism. That is all coaching.

2. Lack of a pass rush. This is partly because of #1 above.

Coach Bowden wouldn't be playing this way if he didn't feel that we had the guys to do it. From his perspective, it sounds like it is one of the deeper spots on the team.