"Jack" Article

Come on Zips Nation, there are ZERO comments after this article from Monday. The newspapers monitor the amount of comments after a story to gage community interest, and having not one comment makes us look irrelevant.We can't complain about lack of coverage and not do our part.It takes 30 seconds to thank the Plain Dealer. Let them know you support Akron and the MAC, and want to see more articles like this.

Come on Zips Nation, there are ZERO comments after this article from Monday. The newspapers monitor the amount of comments after a story to gage community interest, and having not one comment makes us look irrelevant.We can't complain about lack of coverage and not do our part.It takes 30 seconds to thank the Plain Dealer. Let them know you support Akron and the MAC, and want to see more articles like this.
Trust me...Elton Alexander is on our board daily. I hope he appreciates us linking to his column.Commenting on his column on the PD site won't change anything. Our coverage is what it is.

That's a defeatist attitude Captain. Trust me, we can make a difference in the amount of coverage we receive from local media.

Trust me...Elton Alexander is on our board daily. I hope he appreciates us linking to his column.Commenting on his column on the PD site won't change anything. Our coverage is what it is.

That's a defeatist attitude Captain. Trust me, we can make a difference in the amount of coverage we receive from local media.
I'll go one step further regarding Elton -- About 2 months ago he wore a nice feature on Zeke. In it he mentioned ZipsNation. Well he did, except for one thing...he made a conscious decision to NOT say "ZipsNation." Instead, he chose to say "the Akron fan message board."Elton had a chance to score big with us if he wanted. It wouldn't have hurt anything, and I believe he mentioned Scout.com and Rivals.com in the same column, so it isn't like there's a policy against direct mentions of sports web sites. But, he elected to pass. Thus I'm not going out of my way to help the PD any more than I already do (by links, content, etc.). Beyond that, Elton has been a real jerk to the Zips in the past. Hence why so many people tag him as "Ellen." He's not a real "lovable" guy. He kind of relishes being a poor man's Steven A Smith. Good for him. But it rubs me the wrong way.

I'll go one step further regarding Elton -- About 2 months ago he wore a nice feature on Zeke. In it he mentioned ZipsNation. Well he did, except for one thing...he made a conscious decision to NOT say "ZipsNation." Instead, he chose to say "the Akron fan message board."Elton had a chance to score big with us if he wanted. It wouldn't have hurt anything, and I believe he mentioned Scout.com and Rivals.com in the same column, so it isn't like there's a policy against direct mentions of sports web sites. But, he elected to pass. Thus I'm not going out of my way to help the PD any more than I already do (by links, content, etc.). Beyond that, Elton has been a real jerk to the Zips in the past. Hence why so many people tag him as "Ellen." He's not a real "lovable" guy. He kind of relishes being a poor man's Steven A Smith. Good for him. But it rubs me the wrong way.
You know, I posted on that PD story about Zeke a while back. I signed up a screenname specifically for it. My post said exactly this: "Hey, that Akron fan message board is Zipsnation.org. Thanks for the coverage! GO ZIPS!" The screen name I signed up for was banned immediately. I wrote an email to ask why, and I was never responded to.

You know, I posted on that PD story about Zeke a while back. I signed up a screenname specifically for it. My post said exactly this: "Hey, that Akron fan message board is Zipsnation.org. Thanks for the coverage! GO ZIPS!" The screen name I signed up for was banned immediately. I wrote an email to ask why, and I was never responded to.
Hmm. Do we live in China?

Hmm. Do we live in China?
The answer is simple.The plain dealer has nothing to fear from rivals or scout websites. They don't compete.However loosely you may think the overlap is, the plain dealer website does not want to put a link of from another website with a competitive geographic coverage, even if they serve different purposes.As odd as it may seem, they obviously feel threatened.

Okay, let me get this straight. You don't like Elton Alexander, so you're not going to voice your support of the Zips to Ohio's most important newspaper?It makes no difference whether you care for a reporter or not. Reporters don't own the media. They come and go. The perception of much of the local media is that nobody cares for the MAC. That's why they ignore us. It's all about appealing to their customer base, selling papers and generating ad revenue.Carrying a grudge against an entire newspaper does in no way accomplish, what I am assuming, is the common goal of all of us on this board to get more people interested in the University of Akron. That's why as much as the Beacon Journal has ignored Akron the last 20 years, when they do publish something- anything on the Zips, you let them know they're doing the right thing.

Okay, let me get this straight. You don't like Elton Alexander, so you're not going to voice your support of the Zips to Ohio's most important newspaper?It makes no difference whether you care for a reporter or not. Reporters don't own the media. They come and go. The perception of much of the local media is that nobody cares for the MAC. That's why they ignore us. It's all about appealing to their customer base, selling papers and generating ad revenue.Carrying a grudge against an entire newspaper does in no way accomplish, what I am assuming, is the common goal of all of us on this board to get more people interested in the University of Akron. That's why as much as the Beacon Journal has ignored Akron the last 20 years, when they do publish something- anything on the Zips, you let them know they're doing the right thing.
You go, Don Quixote. You go.JohnLithgow_DonQuixote.jpg