Marcus Butler - Evansville Transfer

He would have to be a walk-on, right? Seems like there's not a scholi available for him at the moment:

Myers

Collins

McFadden

Preston

Futch

Peterson

Travis

Wood

Joyce

Milum

Walther

Middleton

Subtract Myers, Collins & McFadden .. leaves 9 scholi players next season.

3 Signees and Nick Dials get the Zips back to 13.

If the kid's paying his own way and proves to be a good citizen, I'm all for the redemption opportunity. Zero tolerance has to be the name of the game. Evansville isn't exactly high D1 these days .. perhaps he's just a role player down the road. From what people say about Conyers .. there's going to be some talent at the 2 in the next few years.

I also heard Goddard has a chance to get a scholi next year....

There were some breakin's over Christmas break, some of the players.... hope Butler wasnt around for those! ;-(

Guest ***GUEST_Z.I.P.***

Dru Joyce was a walk-on last year -- did he receive a scholarship? I thought that was an understanding between Dambrot and the Joyce family, that he would pay his own way. One thing for sure -- if this guy is on board, it leaves Mr Eargle out in the cold. Is Butler enrolled at Akron? If so, I assume he'd be eligible in the Spring semester of 2006 - or at the end of fall '05.

Just a quick rise of the eyebrows on this though: Why so much less concern for Butler's actions, which must have been premeditated, and Marcus Raines' who acted apparently in the heat of the moment?

Just a quick rise of the eyebrows on this though: Why so much less concern for Butler's actions, which must have been premeditated, and Marcus Raines' who acted apparently in the heat of the moment?

I don't know .. maybe because a guy DIED?!

Theft .. B&E, etc. are pretty different from Manslaughter in my book.

I also heard Goddard has a chance to get a scholi next year....

There were some breakin's over Christmas break, some of the players.... hope Butler wasnt around for those! ;-(

Sorry to say, I don't think I would spend a scholarship on Goddard. He seems to have a limited role with the team if KD continues to build his uptempo defensive system. I like having him around because he can shoot lights out on the 3 and I bet he plays a big role one of these games coming up but still limited overall.

By the way -- Has anyone seen any stats on this guy ? A lot talk here about an unknown. All I know is he is guard size and appeared out of nowhere on Saturday.

He was Ohio Division IV Player of the Year in 2004. 25ppg at the HS level. He would be eligible next season as a So., I believe?

AP's Division III, IV All-Ohio teams

The Associated Press

COLUMBUS - A freshman and a senior are the top honorees on the 2003-2004 Associated Press Division III and IV boys All-Ohio high school basketball teams announced Tuesday.

O.J. Mayo of Cincinnati North College Hill - already being touted as "The Next LeBron" - was the player of the year in Division III. Mansfield St. Peter's Marcus Butler grabbed the same honor in Division IV, based on the recommendations of a state panel of sports writers and broadcasters.

Mayo transferred to North College Hill after starring on the varsity of his Kentucky high school team during seventh and eighth grade. He had an immediate impact at North College Hill, which went from 2-18 a year ago to 20-0 this season and a No. 1 ranking the final regular-season AP poll.

The 6-foot-6 Mayo averaged 30.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, 7.7 assists and 5.2 steals a game for North College Hill while shooting 60 percent from the field, 38 percent on 3-pointers and 80 percent at the line.

The Division III coaches of the year are Joe Bline of Johnstown Monroe, who in his first year guided his team to a 20-0 record, its first league championship since 1981 and its first district win since 1985, along with veteran Norm Persin. Persin drew up the Xs and Os as Chesapeake made a long run in the tournament after yet another successful regular season.

Joining Mayo on the Division III first team are Bellaire's Nate Davis (6-2, soph., 19.0); Ryan Gerber of Sugarcreek Garaway (6-1, sr., 19.5); Josh Smith of Johnstown Monroe (5-11, sr., 17.7); Piketon's Kyle Vulgamore (6-3, sr., 16.3); Shawn Shriver of Collins Western Reserve (6-0, sr., 19.8); Ricky Jackson of Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas (6-6, soph., 20.1); Lisbon David Anderson's Lucian Smith (6-0, sr., 21.9); Richard Semrau of Rocky River Lutheran West (6-9, soph., 23.2); David Lighty of Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph (6-5, soph., 19.4); and Kyle Gehle of Versailles (6-1, sr., 20.9).

Gehle's Versailles team (26-0) takes on Davis' Bellaire squad (22-4) in the second Division III state semifinal on Thursday afternoon. Loudonville (23-2) plays St. Henry (20-5) in the tournament's first game, with the winners deciding the title Saturday.

Butler, Division IV's top player, averaged 25.6 points, 10 rebounds and 6.8 assists for a team that climbed all the way to the regional finals. The 6-3 senior, who has signed to play at Evansville next season, was a co-player of the year a year ago in the small-school division.

The coaches of the year are South Webster's Marc Kreischer, Steve Parquhar of Cincinnati Lockland and Arlington's Jason Vermillion.

Kreischer guided the Jeeps (22-3) to the state semifinals against Holgate (18-7) on Friday afternoon. In the first semifinal of the day, Maria Stein Marion Local (17-9) plays Sebring McKinley (24-1). The title game is Saturday.

Parquhar led Lockland to an 18-2 record - its first winning season in 14 years. Vermillion was at the helm as Arlington went 20-0 and won the AP poll crown.

Butler is joined on the first team by Sebring McKinley's David Scarpitti (6-1, sr., 13.0); Dusty Smith of Centerburg (6-3, sr., 16.2); Fort Loramie's Jordan Pleiman (6-8, sr., 22.1); Shawn Hacker of Ironton St. Joseph (6-7, sr., 27.2); Samuel Rutherford of New Matamoras Frontier (5-11, sr., 22.8); Lorain Catholic's Brandon Neal (6-3, sr., 21.3); and Matt Hackenberg of Canton Heritage Christian (5-10, sr., 16.3).

Figure this one out----- From the article in Evansville

"Butler and Fletcher were scholarship players and Merfeld’s only freshmen recruits. Butler was a two-time Ohio Division IV Player of the Year and an honor roll student at Saint Peter’s High School in Mansfield, Ohio. "

I guess Saint Peter's aint a Harvard prep school...

I gotta believe that KD knows what he is doing -- after all, so far so good. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

http://tsn.indystar.com/default.asp?c=star.../A86PL13547.htm

See stats on Marcus Butler above, looks like he only played in 2 games... not impressive at all...

btw don't agree on your opinion of Goddard but I'm from his hometown, as far as I know, no one has seen a shooter like him around here, not only that, give him some minutes in the game consecutively and watch what he can do besides shoot the 3, you saw a glimpse of it on saturday..... his passing....

Not to be critical of the kid's ability or of Evansville in general, but isn't this guy moving way up in the hoops food chain to come from Evansville to UA?

Did UA have any interest when he was coming out of high school? I'm thinking he's a walk-on ... hope he gets his $#%& together and grabs a good degree @ UA.

Perhaps he'll help us out in the long run, but hopefully he'll help the team in practices now ..

Hey, a guy from Evansville, commiting crimes coming to Akron? Anybody remember Akron and our fans going to Evansville for the small college roundball tourneys?

It seems that the Vendome(?) Hotel hated Akron students during those years(Tony Laterza teams). Our fans used to (drink heavily!!! and) wreck the place (sand-filled cigarette urns in the hallways for beach parties,water balloons for passing police cars from hotel windows, for example) and the Evansville police were beseiged with problems emanating from our fans (comitting crimes!!!)

I know it is a bit off topic, but my brother who attended in those years sure had fond memories of Evansville. Unfortunately, we always wound up losing to the Purple Aces, perennial champs for a period of time.