16 Thoughts on the Wisconsin Game

Captain Kangaroo

1.) Jack played better than I could have dreamed. We'll know if it was a mirage after this week.2.) Andrew Johnson can go from a dead-stop, to full speed quicker than anyone else on the team. Running out of the shotgun like we do, that's a nice trait to have.3.) I'm still not a Dennis Kennedy fan. 4.) Hasan Hazime looked the best of all our DL's. I hope he sees increased PT this Saturday. He was the 5th or 6th option vs. Wisconsin.5.) My prediction of Bryan Williams being the next Dwight Smith is looking great.6.) My prediction of Buffalo and BG sucking is looking suspect.7.) I wonder if placing 4 or 5 DL's on the line at a single time EVER crosses JD's mind? Just once I'd love to see a defensive "Jumbo Package" given a whirl. Last Saturday, what would it have hurt? Could it have been worse than watching PJ Hill run for 10+ yards, 20-something times?8.) Williams, Miller, Bowser and Bruce are a nice 4-receiver set. Put in Jones if we want 5 wide outs. Otherwise, keep him on defense. He looks like Jabari did when he was first converted to WR. Unlike Jabari however, Jones doesn't have 3 years to figure it out.9.) For the first time in recent memory I left a game happy with our offensive play calling. Unlike OSU last season, we tried to win the game and put up some points.10.) Thank GOD the long looks to the side lines before the snap (to get the play call in) appear to be gone. 11.) Jeremy Bruce looks like a Hendry clone with his north-south, bullet-style runs. He'll break a few this year.12.) Igor didn't have many opportunities Saturday, but he's banging the ball. He'll have a huge season if the offense can continue moving the chains.13.) Stec had a great game. He must have worked on something this past off season, because his hang time was the best I've seen. He's no longer just a directional kicker.14.) If he already doesn't have one, Cowles Stewart deserves a scholarship. He played his ass off on Saturday. Unfortunately, he's a freshman so he took a good beating too. Such is the life of a nose tackle.15.) OL made us go 15 yards for a 1st down instead of 10 5 times. That's not how you beat Wisconsin, nor is it how you beat Syracuse. If they aren't in tune this week, we'll lose. I don't care how bad Syracuse is, we'll lose.16.) I almost forgot -- my prediction that Evan Laube rules also is looking pretty good. ;)

1.) Jack played better than I could have dreamed. We'll know if it was a mirage after this week.2.) Andrew Johnson can go from a dead-stop, to full speed quicker than anyone else on the team. Running out of the shotgun like we do, that's a nice trait to have.3.) I'm still not a Dennis Kennedy fan. 4.) Hasan Hazime looked the best of all our DL's. I hope he sees increased PT this Saturday. He was the 5th or 6th option vs. Wisconsin.5.) My prediction of Bryan Williams being the next Dwight Smith is looking great.6.) My prediction of Buffalo and BG sucking is looking suspect.7.) I wonder if placing 4 or 5 DL's on the line at a single time EVER crosses JD's mind? Just once I'd love to see a defensive "Jumbo Package" given a whirl. Last Saturday, what would it have hurt? Could it have been worse than watching PJ Hill run for 10+ yards, 20-something times?8.) Williams, Miller, Bowser and Bruce are a nice 4-receiver set. Put in Jones if we want 5 wide outs. Otherwise, keep him on defense. He looks like Jabari did when he was first converted to WR. Unlike Jabari however, Jones doesn't have 3 years to figure it out.9.) For the first time in recent memory I left a game happy with our offensive play calling. Unlike OSU last season, we tried to win the game and put up some points.10.) Thank GOD the long looks to the side lines before the snap (to get the play call in) appear to be gone. 11.) Jeremy Bruce looks like a Hendry clone with his north-south, bullet-style runs. He'll break a few this year.12.) Igor didn't have many opportunities Saturday, but he's banging the ball. He'll have a huge season if the offense can continue moving the chains.13.) Stec had a great game. He must have worked on something this past off season, because his hang time was the best I've seen. He's no longer just a directional kicker.14.) If he already doesn't have one, Cowles Stewart deserves a scholarship. He played his ass off on Saturday. Unfortunately, he's a freshman so he took a good beating too. Such is the life of a nose tackle.15.) OL made us go 15 yards for a 1st down instead of 10 5 times. That's not how you beat Wisconsin, nor is it how you beat Syracuse. If they aren't in tune this week, we'll lose. I don't care how bad Syracuse is, we'll lose.16.) I almost forgot -- my prediction that Evan Laube rules also is looking pretty good. ;)
The Wisconsin announcers really were impressed with both Igor and Stec. It got me thinking. As I see the schedule unfolding, I see a LOT of very close games in the future. Could our special teams be good enough to win a few of these alone?BTW, I mentioned this on another thread and got the dreaded "crickets". Was even thinking about changing my name to THREAD-KILLER84. :D So anyway, does anyone agree with me that this year's home slate is shaping up to be the finest in the history of the program (top to bottom, on balance)? Sure, VPI was here in '96, but ON BALANCE even that year had some dogs and only had 4 home games.

1.) Jack played better than I could have dreamed. We'll know if it was a mirage after this week.2.) Andrew Johnson can go from a dead-stop, to full speed quicker than anyone else on the team. Running out of the shotgun like we do, that's a nice trait to have.3.) I'm still not a Dennis Kennedy fan. 4.) Hasan Hazime looked the best of all our DL's. I hope he sees increased PT this Saturday. He was the 5th or 6th option vs. Wisconsin.5.) My prediction of Bryan Williams being the next Dwight Smith is looking great.6.) My prediction of Buffalo and BG sucking is looking suspect.7.) I wonder if placing 4 or 5 DL's on the line at a single time EVER crosses JD's mind? Just once I'd love to see a defensive "Jumbo Package" given a whirl. Last Saturday, what would it have hurt? Could it have been worse than watching PJ Hill run for 10+ yards, 20-something times?8.) Williams, Miller, Bowser and Bruce are a nice 4-receiver set. Put in Jones if we want 5 wide outs. Otherwise, keep him on defense. He looks like Jabari did when he was first converted to WR. Unlike Jabari however, Jones doesn't have 3 years to figure it out.9.) For the first time in recent memory I left a game happy with our offensive play calling. Unlike OSU last season, we tried to win the game and put up some points.10.) Thank GOD the long looks to the side lines before the snap (to get the play call in) appear to be gone. 11.) Jeremy Bruce looks like a Hendry clone with his north-south, bullet-style runs. He'll break a few this year.12.) Igor didn't have many opportunities Saturday, but he's banging the ball. He'll have a huge season if the offense can continue moving the chains.13.) Stec had a great game. He must have worked on something this past off season, because his hang time was the best I've seen. He's no longer just a directional kicker.14.) If he already doesn't have one, Cowles Stewart deserves a scholarship. He played his ass off on Saturday. Unfortunately, he's a freshman so he took a good beating too. Such is the life of a nose tackle. ( You're kidding about this. "He played his ass off" PJ and the other running back ran all over him and the entire D-Line. Wisconsin had 400 plus yards off of our D-line. Where were you? Did you watch the same game we were watching? This kid was huffing and puffing in the 1st quarter. He looked tired when he walked on the field. Harvey looked much better than this kid and played better. They need Bain and Lively in the middle. Would be nice to see how soon they will be back. Also, would be nice to see what their intentions are with this kid Pendeltion. )15.) OL made us go 15 yards for a 1st down instead of 10 5 times. That's not how you beat Wisconsin, nor is it how you beat Syracuse. If they aren't in tune this week, we'll lose. I don't care how bad Syracuse is, we'll lose.16.) I almost forgot -- my prediction that Evan Laube rules also is looking pretty good. ;)

You're kidding about this. "He played his ass off" PJ and the other running back ran all over him and the entire D-Line. Wisconsin had 400 plus yards off of our D-line. Where were you? Did you watch the same game we were watching? This kid was huffing and puffing in the 1st quarter. He looked tired when he walked on the field. Harvey looked much better than this kid and played better. They need Bain and Lively in the middle. Would be nice to see how soon they will be back. Also, would be nice to see what their intentions are with this kid Pendeltion. )
I was at the game, where were you?Look Mr. All-bold, I said "the kid played his ass off." I didn't say "The kid dominated," nor did I say "Boy, we didn't miss Bain or Lively." Stewart worked his ass off in a pretty impossible situation. :rolleyes: He is a redshirt freshman walk on, playing in his first collegiate game, facing a top-notch Big Ten offensive line. He played a lot of minutes. From your air conditioned couch, I'm sure it didn't appear like the kid put in all that much work. From my seat, at the game, it was f*cking H-O-T. Easily 100 degrees on the field. You lug your 310 lbs around the field in 100 degree weather in full pads and push on 315 lb Big 10 linemen all day and tell me if you "look tired when you walk off the field." Pendleton is a walk on that apparently couldn't beat out Stewart for the #2 nose guard job. If you're thinking he's going to be the savior of the 3-3-5, you're nuts. By his lack of PT Saturday, and the past 2 seasons, he ain't going to be a factor.Harvey got shoved around just like everyone else. Hazime was the only one I saw that came close to holding his own.

You're kidding about this. "He played his ass off" PJ and the other running back ran all over him and the entire D-Line. Wisconsin had 400 plus yards off of our D-line. Where were you? Did you watch the same game we were watching? This kid was huffing and puffing in the 1st quarter. He looked tired when he walked on the field. Harvey looked much better than this kid and played better. They need Bain and Lively in the middle. Would be nice to see how soon they will be back. Also, would be nice to see what their intentions are with this kid Pendeltion.
Thanks for stopping by Mrs. Pendleton. We hope your son is able to help the Zips also.Go Zips!

If Stewart consistently outplays Pendleton in practice, then I suppose he has earned not only the scholly but the PT as well. I do happen to think this bodes well for our depth once Bain can play, because I think Pendleton HAS shown some moments in the past backing up Robinson. In particular, he made some nice plays in the Can't game last year.The beating these kids on the DL took on Saturday had just as much to do with UW's typically strong OL as anything else. And dare I add that a strong Big 10 OL is even perhaps a little "stronger" at home against a non-BCS conference school? What's the old adage, you can call holding on just about any play? Give a set of talented, strong, huge kids license to "push the boundaries" and before long they're playing at an even higher level.

1.) Jack played better than I could have dreamed. We'll know if it was a mirage after this week.
If by Jack you mean Chris Jacquemain, I think he could have gotten a much better result. Barely overthrew two passes and had two passes dropped. Mid-season those are likely to be completions.If three of those four passes had been completed on Saturday, the game would have gone down the wire. Good luck the rest of the season. And have fun.

You're kidding about this. "He played his ass off" PJ and the other running back ran all over him and the entire D-Line. Wisconsin had 400 plus yards off of our D-line. Where were you? Did you watch the same game we were watching? This kid was huffing and puffing in the 1st quarter. He looked tired when he walked on the field. Harvey looked much better than this kid and played better. They need Bain and Lively in the middle. Would be nice to see how soon they will be back. Also, would be nice to see what their intentions are with this kid Pendeltion. )
I was at the game, where were you?Look Mr. All-bold, I said "the kid played his ass off." I didn't say "The kid dominated," nor did I say "Boy, we didn't miss Bain or Lively." Stewart worked his ass off in a pretty impossible situation. :rolleyes: He is a redshirt freshman walk on, playing in his first collegiate game, facing a top-notch Big Ten offensive line. He played a lot of minutes. From your air conditioned couch, I'm sure it didn't appear like the kid put in all that much work. From my seat, at the game, it was f*cking H-O-T. Easily 100 degrees on the field. You lug your 310 lbs around the field in 100 degree weather in full pads and push on 315 lb Big 10 linemen all day and tell me if you "look tired when you walk off the field." Pendleton is a walk on that apparently couldn't beat out Stewart for the #2 nose guard job. If you're thinking he's going to be the savior of the 3-3-5, you're nuts. By his lack of PT Saturday, and the past 2 seasons, he ain't going to be a factor.Harvey got shoved around just like everyone else. Hazime was the only one I saw that came close to holding his own.

13.) Stec had a great game. He must have worked on something this past off season, because his hang time was the best I've seen. He's no longer just a directional kicker.The way I saw it, Stec had the same type of game he has had the last couple of years, no better than a good high school punter. He had a few good kicks early, but when he tried to place one inside the 20 from the 38, he got an 18 yard shank. He could have blasted it out of the end zone with the same results. Then he followed it with a 34 yarder. Same as last year, he kicks well early, then loses distance later. I have to wonder about his conditioning. Consistently inconsistent.That said, I was pleased with Jacq's play. After a couple of "to the sideline" throws, the play callers realized we could throw north and south with decent results. DK is just too small to run up the middle. We took advantage of turnovers, but killed momentum with stupid penalties. And BTW, I was there!

1.) Jack played better than I could have dreamed. We'll know if it was a mirage after this week.
I agree with this, although it still seems like he doesn't want to give the ball up on handoffs. His handoffs from the shotgun do not look very fluid. I realize he probably has the option NOT to hand off, but it just looks like when he does, they're (QB/RB) fighting for the ball. I will be interesting to see which Jack shows up this week, though. If he can string together 2 decent games in a row, we may have something.

1.) Jack played better than I could have dreamed. We'll know if it was a mirage after this week.7.) Just once I'd love to see a defensive "Jumbo Package" Could it have been worse than watching PJ Hill run for 10+ yards, 20-something times?9.) Unlike OSU last season, we tried to win the game and put up some points.10.) Thank GOD the long looks to the side lines before the snap (to get the play call in) appear to be gone.
Nice list.My comment on #1, I don't remember CJ having such a quick release, he must have REALLY worked on this. Hope it continues.My comment on #7, unofficially (because I lost my notes), I think 5 different rushers went for 7+ yard gains 17 times.31.jpgMy comment on #9, what a different attack that was in comparison.My comment on #10, man I hope this continues. The other thing I would like to see stop is the RB moving from left to right or right to left just before the snap of the ball. Stop all the motion until we stop false starting every third play. The only team we are confusing is our own.