Zips story from today's ABJ

Blue & Gold

Here's a McManamon story on the potential ramifications of the Zips win over Cuse from today's ABJ. Good story.http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/28042249.htmlPM references the media's shock and the Cuse's whinning about how they lost to Akron. He defends Akron well by stating..."Syracuse can talk all it wants about its failures, and there were many, but UA did not win because Syracuse did a Fosbury Flop. UA won because it did a lot right and deserved to win."And I think McManamon is spot-on with his view of what this means for the Akron program..."But whether the game is a new low for Syracuse — as King wrote — or the most recent new high for the Zips pretty much depends on how things go from here."

Akron won because they were the better team. It's pretty simple.The NY media isn't willing to wrap their heads around that, the the only way we will be able to get them to do so is to keep winning. Beat Ball State, don't screw up against Army, and then take your momentum back home and take out another Big East school in Cinci. Beating Cinci is our last real chance at a major win in the regular season, and the last chance at gaining media exposure beyond a few blogs and angry columnists.Winning against Ball State is crucial. It starts us off with a win in the MAC, it builds momentum after beating Syracuse, it opens the home games with a win, and it shows that we are a real contender.

What a great win for the Zips-- I was watching on my PC with a friend that went to 'cuse. I have to admit, I kept waiting for the collapse. But we really closed the game in a way and with an authority that I don't think we have seen before. The last TD was a knife to the heart and a gutsy call. Jac played great-- he deserves HUGE kudos for elevating his game so much. Not sure if anyone saw it, but he was a featured player in the NYTimes on Sunday including a picture (they call out 3 or 4 performers of the week and he was first).

Nice article, but I did catch one mistake that I'm sure many Zip fans noticed as well. The loss to Central following the NC State win was played in Mount Pleasant.
I caught that as well. But when the BJ does a good story like that on the Zips, I don't get too hung up about a small error.
Agreed. In fact I was trying to post "kudos" on the site (and I am registered) but I seem to be encountering technical difficulties. Maybe we all are as I haven't seen one comment yet.Update: it seems to be working now.

I hate to say it, but I really expected a win at Syracuse and I didn't see it as the upset it is being portrayed as. What I don't expect is a win this week against a very good BSU team. A win this week (like it or not) will be far more impressive to me than the win against Syracuse.
I was the same way BZ. Though sitting in the stands as 'cuse tied they game at 28, my brain shifted to thoughts of a "Brookhart Second Half." Boy did they prove me wrong. Let's hope it's the beginning of a trend of closing games out strong. A lot of people made money off the Zips this week, as evidence of the shift in the line from 7 to as low as 3.5. Let's hope we see that line shift the same way this week. It amuses me that people are making such a huge deal over a Ball State team that hasn't been good forever. They have a solid QB/WR combo in Davis and Love, but that's it. That's one sprained ankle from being mediocre. The Zips will pull this one out in front of a very friendly 22k+ crowd.