ESPN2 TV Game

GoZips

Looks more and more like the Zips national TV appearance on ESPN2 will be against either Marshall or Miami. This from an unidentified source. Some effort appearantly was made to secure a prime time opponent. Look for said potential opponent to play a two for one against the Zips in the near future. A second prime time opponent is also in the mix. More news as it happens.

From what I know, this game would be played AFTER the HS regular season. The playoffs will be underway, but the game would not compete with many, if any local HS games. I did not know anything about Cleveland being considered as a possible game location?

MT mentioned the near certainty of a nationally televised ESPN game at Brookhart's press conference.

My information is a month old, so things may have evolved?

Guest Guest_Captain Kangaroo

20k in Cleveland Browns Stadium would be a bust. For a game like that, I'm sure Marshall would bring 12k+ themselves.

The local hype regarding Charlie Frye will be L-A-R-G-E this season! Everyone in NE Ohio is going to know his name. If a game like this were to be played, the PD would be all over it like they were the MAC Hoops Tourney. There would be downtown billboards...hype on local sports talk shows...etc.

UAM wouldn't pull the trigger on this unless there was a commitment to its success at the highest level. "Success" is a minimum 30k.

With a new coach...with Frye losing his top 3 WR's...scheduling such a game would be a risk (how many people would show up if Akron is 2-6 and Frye is injured...or if there is a monsoon?) Then again...the Rubber Bowl would likely remain open. If things looked like they weren't going to pan-out, the game could always be moved back to Akron at a moment's notice. UAM wouldn't let that happen, however!

:rock:

I can see 30K as well. It will take some gimmicks but its not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe have some Browns there to sign autographs, maybe Jason Taylor will come in for Akron, Chad Pennington for Marshall, etc. Question is, will 30K still look empty? Browns stadium holds 73K. You gotta use the lower sections only or the place will look barren.

Maybe Zipnation.org can rent out a luxury suite for the game :cheers: ?

UC Bearcats used to play a substantial number of their home games not in Nippert Stadium (on campus) but in riverfront Stadium. Been there for a game or two...talk about empty!

I thinik the dice are worth throwing if thats what the deal is. I agree with my boy, the Bowl sux for TV with all the loight poles. My seats on the 40 for last 5 years were right behind a light pole. I did a loot of leaning! :rofl:

Per Vandelay sports, the speculation about a Cleveland Stadium appears all for naught. The game will probably end up at the Rubber Bowl.

In my heart, it seems like it is just too soon in JD's tenure to accept the risk of a Stadium flop...and there is a substantial risk. Once our program reaches the level of, say, Toledo (9+ wins year-in-year-out) I think something like that would be viable, and awesome.

Talking about hypeing Frye in 2004 -- there is a huge wall billboard in downtown Cleveland - if you are standing at Prospect and E. 9th Street next to Pannini's and looking towards the Gund. It woud look great with a Charlie Frye for Heisman billboard. It currently has a Dick's add and previously had a TIDE add.

One of the biggest mistakes UAM has made (not necessarily the current staff, but overall) is not doing enough to tap into the Cleveland population for attendance. When the Browns were gone we were the only game in town and still nothing. Send undergrads to the tailgating for Browns games with flyers with Frye and Heisman good for 2 for 1 tickets to see the next great QB from Ohio. I could see a matching billboard downtown Akron somewhere -- the side of the Mayflower or something. Start the hype machine today -- sell out the first game (win it) and have a chance to fill it up every week going forward. If JD and his boys beat Penn State -- and the hype machine is running full bore before that -- it could be the toughest ticket in town. Ohioans love football, but we can't fill the Rubber Bowl because we target the credit union and the boy scouts etc. Why not target football fans?

We just realeased our 2004 football schedule. Its way way tougher than last year's but honestly I would rather have the tougher schedule.

Some notables:

The marshall game will be on ESPN on Friday November 5th at the rubber bowl

The Can't State game is still on a Thursday which is good

Three of our last games are at home

We are playing Ball State at home

As far as Frye goes, UA marketing should jump all over this. This is a chance to put people in the stands. I wonder what else UA marketing will come up with? In 2003 it was the rubber city classic. I can't wait for spring ball. I can't wait for those new facilities to be finished. I can't wait until the kickoff at penn state. I can't wait!!