Time to get ready for Can't

ZachTheZip

It's Can't week! :screwks: :screwks: :screwks: :screwks: :screwks: :screwks: :screwks: Time to stop dwelling on the past. It's flush hunting time!Saturday determines our season. Win, and we can win the East. Lose and it's pretty much over.It's time to learn from our mistakes: Fixing the high snap problem is apparently not a priority for the coaches. It hasn't been fixed through five games now, so Jacq had better work on his jumping skills. The kicking situation is going downhill in a hurry. Special teams coach Brookhart will not be happy. We are down two top running backs. Gary Pride made his debut, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Joe Tuzze is more of a blocking fullback than a ball carrier. If Andrew Johnson can't return soon, will we see some underclassmen step up?We can't blame officiating for anything. We all know MAC refs suck; it's just something we have to live with. Don't put yourself in a position where the game could be decided by a bad call.Matt Rodgers made his debut against Cinci. He played only one down: a handoff that got a few yards. It shows that the coach really is willing to put him in there with the game on the line if Jacq goes down. There was no hesitation on JD's part, even when we didn't know how long Jacq would be out.It's time to move on. Learn from the mistakes and get ready to pound those hippies into the ground. Can't runs an option offense now, which we showed good signs of being able to defend against Army. Having our DL back really makes a difference. You saw JD rotating defensive linemen frequently, and it kept the run defense fresh the whole game, which is something we really need against Can't.JD and his staff will spend countless hours going over the tape from the Cinci game. There is tons to learn from a game where virtually any play could have decided the outcome. Watch carefully to see if some of the mistakes are corrected next week. It's the sign of a good coaching staff. If it's the same old stuff we still might win, but you can't count on beating anybody else.It's time to make our run in the East, to become eventual MAC champs!

If Pride is 100% healthy he would likely provide a huge "change of pace" at RB,with the ability to "bust it" at any given time. With Tuzze getting short yardage plays and DK playing his usually role, this could possibly be an effective trio. On the other hand, if Devoe is unquestionably the most talented option at RB, then I think it's time to shelve the RS year and let him get plenty of reps in practice this week before unleashing him against the flushes.

If Pride is 100% healthy he would likely provide a huge "change of pace" at RB,with the ability to "bust it" at any given time. With Tuzze getting short yardage plays and DK playing his usually role, this could possibly be an effective trio. On the other hand, if Devoe is unquestionably the most talented option at RB, then I think it's time to shelve the RS year and let him get plenty of reps in practice this week before unleashing him against the flushes.
It all comes down to Andrew Johnson's diagnosis. If he will return in a few weeks, I can't see JD burning Devoe's redshirt. If Johnson's out for the season, then we will need him.

Who's in the mood for a never-in-question ass kicking next weekend? Akron is on the rise and Hippie Tech is falling apart, and fast. I'm not expressing false hope here. I really think that after playing so well against very good teams so far, once the Zips play some "normal" crappy MAC teams we're going to see a dominant Zips football team begin to shine. How do posters feel about the prospect of seeing DeVoe play this weekend? I must admit I don't know much about Gary Pride, but I see DeVoe on the sideline and wonder how he might look getting some snaps. I say WHIP IT.Go Zips!SEETEEZIP

you guys make great points.if torrence is the best back then get him on the field.there is seven games left on the season.if you don't play him then what about next year? you would have nobody with any experience coming back at rb.nobody knows about allen yet.if he is ready to play play him.jd needs to win games now,and forget about next year.the only other option is to put williams at rb.

I hear Andrew Johnson is out of the hospital and should be fine. I don't know if he'll be able to play or practice. Devoe has a lot of learning to do to be ready to play. While the pitch and "hot potato" play to Pride about gave me a heart attack, I think he'll be in the game. I am happy with Tuzze getting to carry the ball. I about cried when they tried to pass on 3rd and 1 when he has been consistently able to get the yards we need. While I am often upset with the play calling I thought it was pretty good this week. Refs fault or not we have to cut down the penalties. Come on guys, ya can't blame the coaches for everything. After losing a game we could have easily won I hope the players are hungry and go out and pummel Can't.

if you guys want a good laugh you should head on over to kents forum. some of them are talking about dropping to D1-AA or fcs or whatever the hell you call it now
Not talking smack, but in all honesty, why wouldn't they? It'd be a good move for them. They'd probably do quite well @ that level (though their recruiting would drop off a bit from where it is now) and they wouldn't have to put up w/ weekly humiliations. Their program is literally an embarassment to their university. Again, I'm not talking smack, I'm being real. And as far as competing w/ us in football?... honestly, the death bell tolls for their program and I really believe their decision makers have to know this. The Info is going to give us some of the finest facilities in the entire nation, bar none, and have our sights set on moving up to a bigger conference. Moving down a level wouldn't be a bad move on their part. We could still play them once a year (I like the rivalry) but they'd have a lot more success at D-1AA.

From the uakronkid: "JD and his staff will spend countless hours going over the tape from the Cinci game. There is tons to learn from a game where virtually any play could have decided the outcome. Watch carefully to see if some of the mistakes are corrected next week. It's the sign of a good coaching staff. If it's the same old stuff we still might win, but you can't count on beating anybody else."A very astute observation!

I heard a comedian on the radio the other day (I didn't catch his name) and he was talking about all of the various trophies that college football teams play for - he mentioned the Wagon Wheel and said that UA-Can't State play for that because that was the last time anyone cared who won the game. I was kind of insulted until almost every other game trohpy he mentioned was of BCS schools, then I was kind of proud. :) Go Zips - keep the Wheel!

Looks like the Zips have the right idea.
''There is more emphasis on Can't than any other game throughout the season,'' said senior linebacker Kevin Grant, who ranks 11th nationally in career tackles with 275. ''It's the most pivotal game in our season. A win, especially against Can't, would be a great starting point to finish off the season because, from here on out, it's all conference play.''
They saw action Saturday and were part of a defensive effort that held the Bearcats to 20 points less than their scoring average. The Zips forced and recovered two fumbles against UC, giving them a national-best 10 for the season.Their return, along with the development of an inexperienced secondary, has Brookhart optimistic that defense could be a strong point against the Golden flushes and for the rest of the way.