C production

ziptrumpet87

With all the talk on the board about wanting to get SS more time, I thought I'd compare how MB is doing so far vs the other five MAC East Cs.First some general comparisons; MB & SS are about the same height as the others, but they give up 10-20 lbs. Experience-wise, there are 1 sr (Buffalo), 3 jr (BG, Can't, Ohio), 1 soph (MB), and 2 fr (SS, Miami) putting UA C at the bottom third of the experience ladder.The two biggest performers so far are Otis Polk (BG 5.3 pts, 5.9 r, 1.6 blk) and Brandon Parks (Can't 9.3 pts, 6.4 r, .4 blk). MB comes in at 1.9 pts (last), 2.9 r (3rd), .8 blk (2nd). SS comes in at 3.3 pts, 2.3 r, 0 blks, but his playing time is much less so far so I'm not sure one can really get a good picture of his production just based on the stats.I'd be happy to share my sheet; if anyone wants to see it, PM me. I couldn't attach it because of the file type (MSExcel).

I am not sure i am seeing your point behind these stats ZipTrumpet, what conclusion did you draw out of it?As for my argument, here are my stats for Bardo in the last 3 games:MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS UNC Greensbourough 19 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 3 1 0 0 2 2 0 St. Francis 21 1-1 0-0 2-2 1 3 1 0 2 2 3 4 VCU 14 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 4 0 He attempted a single FG in 3 games, (garbage time vs St. Francis), a total of 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 4 TO, and no steals.Here is my argument, i know that talented big guys do not grow on the trees and that you have to work with them. But when someone is with the program in their 3rd year, i expect them to start showing some results. When i watch Bardo, I do not see him dominating on the deffensive side, Humpty (5-10) gets more rebounds, and a total joke on offense.Again, i know he's a big guy and they are not easy to come around and Bardo is a great guy etc... but when you have two other big guys (one real big and one relatively big) who may be able to fill the gap and produce on both sides of the floor, don't you want to give them a chance? I have seen great things from Nik in the limited time he had (why he doesn't play anymore is beyond me). Swiech is becoming a cheerleader on the bench, he played a total of 6 minutes in the season!!!He is not a good deffender? Bardo isn't either. We know what Bardo can give, we won't know about Swiech until we try him. I will bet you money that if given Bardo's minutes, SS will double his rebounds and points production. I am affraid that my posting is starting to look like a "Bash Bardo" thing which is not the goal, i am just frustrated to sit through game after game, where one guy may make things better (may is bolded), but he is not even given a chance, not even in garbage time.I know that KD is the coach and he watches players in practice and he has the team's best interest in mind etc... I am just trying to understand, may be some of you with inside information on this board can help explain things. Is KD trying to push SS out? do we want him to transfer and free a scholarship now that we got Zeke? did he break KD's favourite coffee mug and now he hates him and is punishing him? did he date some adminitsrator's daughter and then dumped her so the boss wants him to suffer? :lol:

I was mainly just trying to show what we have vs the rest of the MAC E. I agree that we should be getting SS some additional playing time, if nothing else in the the games we get up 10+. Both guys are young and they are outweighed by most of the Cs in the East so they will probably need to use them both later in the season.

skhorbotly you have made a lot of good points. No I don't think Swiech dated some adminitsrator's daughter and I don't know about any coffee mug. :lol: I will say this your comment about, "Is KD trying to push SS out? do we want him to transfer and free a scholarship now that we got Zeke?" Makes me nervous and to say it hasn't cross my mine would be a lie. I just feel bad that as you say his is a cheerleader. I as a fan want to see him play his family travels to akron to see him play and leave dissapointed. I remember how much excitement was on this board when SS agreed to come to Akron. Then he was redshirted. we waited a whole another year. He had time to heal and learn the KD system. But know he still is not playing. I just think the it a shame. Steve has talent and yes maybe be lacking defensive play, but right now so is the rest of the team. Steve has proven that he has offensive talent by scoring 10 points in two games. Steve Swiech has the leadership and the motivational skills to drive the zips to victory. Steve reminds me of the movie Rudy, where Rudy trys so hard to get the team ready to play the up coming game, only to watch the team run out of the tunnel. For now he just has to do it from the side line. that my friends is just sad. KD, let Steve run out that tunnel!!!

A smart coach evaluates his individual players by how well the team performs when each individual is on the court versus when he's on the bench. It's pretty easy to do by simply looking at the play-by-play, noting when a player is subbed in and out, and whether the team has plus or minus points versus the opposing team for each segment.A detailed analysis of the Rhode Island game play-by-play on gozips.com shows that the Zips outscored URI by 4 points during the 24 minutes that Bardo was on the floor, and were outscored by 33 points during the 16 minutes that Bardo was on the bench.Any question why KD appreciates Bardo, and why Zips fans should, too?20:00 (0-0) Bardo starts15:37 SUB OUT: BARDO, Mike (7-8) -1 with Bardo in12:26 SUB IN: BARDO, Mike (7-15) -7 with Bardo out03:22 SUB OUT: BARDO, Mike (21-32) -3 with Bardo in02:33 SUB IN: BARDO, Mike (23-34) 0 with Bardo out00:33 SUB OUT: BARDO, Mike (23-36) -2 with Bardo in00:00 (25-36) +2 with Bardo out20:00 (25-36) Bardo starts18:02 SUB OUT: BARDO, Mike (32-38) +5 with Bardo in13:36 SUB IN : BARDO, Mike (32-51) -13 with Bardo out11:03 SUB OUT: BARDO, Mike (38-51) +6 with Bardo in08:39 SUB IN: BARDO, Mike (40-59) -6 with Bardo out04:40 SUB OUT: BARDO, Mike (47-67) -1 with Bardo in00:00 (50-79) -9 with Bardo outTotals:-1 with Bardo in-3 with Bardo in-2 with Bardo in+5 with Bardo in+6 with Bardo in-1 with Bardo in+4 with Bardo in-7 with Bardo out0 with Bardo out+2 with Bardo out-13 with Bardo out-6 with Bardo out-9 with Bardo out-33 with Bardo out-33 +4 = -29 (final margin)

Bardo's major contributions mostly don't show up on the stat sheets. He does lead the Zips in blocked shots, however.What he does is shut down the opposing team's center. Look at the play-by-plays of the other team's low post production when he's in compared to when he's out. He might not score many points, but he won't let his defensive assignment score many, either. While I would love to see him develop into a scoring threat, defense buys playing time with KD so don't expect him to be benched any time soon.

Bardo's major contributions mostly don't show up on the stat sheets. He does lead the Zips in blocked shots, however.What he does is shut down the opposing team's center. Look at the play-by-plays of the other team's low post production when he's in compared to when he's out. He might not score many points, but he won't let his defensive assignment score many, either. While I would love to see him develop into a scoring threat, defense buys playing time with KD so don't expect him to be benched any time soon.
If that is the case the we can expect the zips to loose more games then.

nbs95--Have you any objectivity or are you just a Sweich shill? We all want to see Sweich play, but do you really think KD is sabotaging his team's chance of winning on purpose? I want to see Sweich play too, but I'll trust KD to let me see it when Sweich's ready to contribute.

If that is the case the we can expect the zips to loose more games then.
There is no doubt in my mind that if steve was ready to play, KD would play him. He is not playing him therefore he is not ready. End of discussion.

I did a quick analysis of Bardo's contribution to the team in four games against quality opponents in addition to Pitt -- Dayton, VCU, Niagra and Eastern Kentucky:Pittsburgh:Bardo in: +4Bardo out: -33Zips lose by 29DaytonBardo in: +1Bardo out: -5Zips lose by 4VCUBardo in: +8Bardo out: -12Zips lose by 4NiagraBardo in: +11Bardo out: -7Zips win by 4Eastern KentuckyBardo in: -5Bardo out: -7Zips lose by 12Totals for the 5 gamesBardo in: +19Bardo out: -64In all cases, the Zips did better when Bardo was on the floor than when he was on the bench, although there wasn't much difference in the Eastern Kentucky game.

Ditka steps in to provide low post threat.Zips 138 Sweaters 55
LOL... makes you wonder though, does Ditka have a post move so good that not even Ditka could defend it?
Chuck Norris could defend it!Because of Miami's style of play, if we end up playing their tempo, I don't think we would lose by a lot. I'm hoping for an explosion from McNees again!
McNees can shoot 3's all night if he is on. that rearly happens though.

In all respect yes Bardo did well. However, those status are just him. There is no other team member like SS or Nik to compare.your status are one sided.
Of course my stats are one sided. They address only the specific question I was trying to answer for myself of how good the Zips are when Bardo is on the floor versus when he is on the bench. The simple box score doesn't tell the whole story, so I did a more thorough analysis.It's a bit time consuming to go through the play-by-play and calculate the plus and minus scores when a player is in or out. But anyone reading this should feel free to do the same with any other player to see how the team's performance compares when that player is on the floor or on the bench.The more data analyzed, the more informed our opinions.

Those stats are interesting... so if Bardo played the whole 40 minutes in all games we would have been undefeated? :lol: Here's how i explain this, Bardo is the only Center KD is playing. When Bardo is out, we are playing with no Center (whether 2 PFs or 2 SFs etc...)My conclusion would be that when the zips play a center (even when that center has terrible stat lines) we are doing better than playing with no center. So, when KD wants to give Bardo a break, how about throwing in another center? who by the way cannot have a worse stat line than Bardo.

We would have still lost to Eastern Kentucky, which outscored us whether Bardo was in or out. Also, I wouldn't make the leap that just putting in any center makes a team better. Many teams in both college and the NBA play long stretches without a center. It's called "playing small," and usually consists of 2 or 3 forwards and 2 or 3 guards. It's because there aren't that many good bigs who play center well. Most teams consider themselves fortunate to have one.I trust KD to do what he thinks is best for the team. I believe that if he thought the team could produce the same results with Swiech on the floor as with Bardo, he'd simply sub them back and forth and keep one of the two centers in most of the time. Like others here, I think Swiech has some potential. But I've only seen him play for a few minutes, so I haven't seen enough to make a call. KD has seen Swiech for endless hours in practice. That's where a player makes his case for game time.

• 9 years later...