So long, Sun Grill!

ZachTheZip

Posting from the terminals in the JAR.Apparently, the reason Spicer Street was closed today because the Sun was scheduled to be demolished. It weas 90% rubble by the time I drove past it at 10:30.Bye bye, Sun! :wave:
It was rubble when I used to go there in the 80's. ;)
Great news about the Sun grill! I think someone else had already posted something explaining the whole street closing though.What's the status on the Chopstix restaurant and Aroma coffee? Are those staying or no?

Posting from the terminals in the JAR.Apparently, the reason Spicer Street was closed today because the Sun was scheduled to be demolished. It weas 90% rubble by the time I drove past it at 10:30.Bye bye, Sun! :wave:
Great news about the Sun grill! I think someone else had already posted something explaining the whole street closing though.What's the status on the Chopstix restaurant and Aroma coffee? Are those staying or no?
No, they settled out of court IIRC. Probably just have to wait for them to move out and then officially take possession.

Ahhhhh. The city is just a wee little bit nicer this afternoon with the Sun gone. We drove by on the way from the Zips/Ca/unt game, on our way down to OBC for a couple high quality brews. It was really cool to see that corner empty, soon to be filled with UA cheer!Go Zips!Great game today!SeeTeeZip

I wish I could drove the wrecker. Or would be nice if someone could have taken posted pictures.Goodbye and good riddance. :wave: I hear the last holdout tennant is finally being evicted from the warehouse. (Per Summit county probate records)Didn't know why he wasted money fighting an eviction when his landlord sold the property and gave him proper notice to vacate. I can't wait until Manny's :john: are history.Although Manny is now trying to alter his deal to get the same deal Jackson got. Lifetime no eminent domain instead of just 15 years. (Per Summit county probate records and friend I have at the ABJ who's been talking to Manny Attorney)I guess he thinks he going to live forever or he's looking out for other family members to take his business. :rolleyes:

No, they settled out of court IIRC. Probably just have to wait for them to move out and then officially take possession.
They're gone by mid-March.But, Manny is fighting to redo the deal. He wants a lifetime no eminent domain deal at his new location across from the Brown St Fields, instead of the 15 years he originally agreed to.They've been filing motions in court.I seriously doubt that holds it up too long since they already had an agreement in place That Judge Spicer had approved.Manny just going through buyer's remorse on the eminent domain part of the deal. Manny needs the monies for the new place he already purchased and is already fixing up.He'll cave as UofA is filing motions to enforce the agreement which more then likely means the agreement was binding.

They're gone by mid-March.But, Manny is fighting to redo the deal. He wants a lifetime no eminent domain deal at his new location across from the Brown St Fields, instead of the 15 years he originally agreed to.They've been filing motions in court.I seriously doubt that holds it up too long since they already had an agreement in place That Judge Spicer had approved.Manny just going through buyer's remorse on the eniment domain part of the deal. Manny needs the monies for the new place he already purchased and is already fixing up.He'll cave as UofA is filing motions to enforce the agreement which more then likely means the agreement was binding.
Great news. Thanks for the info! I'm still wondering why UA agreed not to use Eminent domain on some head shop like the "odd corner". Whatever, at least Manny's outta here.

I am going to take pictures of Manny's :john: being torn down. I am so sick of looking at that place and knowing that owner has been nothing but a royal pain in the a$$ with this whole process.
You got that right. Manny had already purchased the new locations where he's moving in February of last year per Summit county records. He dragged this out claiming he didn't want to move, knowing he already brought new buildings and was grandstanding for more money IMO.Manny waits right until the jury is about to be seated and takes the same deal he could have gotten a year ago. :rolleyes: The only people who made monies were his attorneys and associated costs. :rolleyes: Manny coming out of this with the same amount when you add up his final take from both agreements.Then a couple of weeks after the agreement. He changes his mind on 15 year eminent domain part and now wants the lifetime eminent domain deal they gave Jackson when they brought odd corner and Jackson moved across the street.UofA has filed motions to enforce the original agreement and here's hoping Judge Spicer tells Manny he's stuck with that deal. He suppose to vacate by March 15th per the settlement.

I really hope Judge spicer sides with UA on this one. To this day I cannot get my head around how one person can be so selfish. He's already got a new place to move to, he's going to get money, and he already got eminent domain immunity for 15 years. What the hell else does he want? Next thing we know, he's going to be asking for exclusive sinage on the stadium or something like that. Honestly, I don't think he is going to get anywhere with this anyways. The settlement was made and agreed upon and I can't see any judge anywhere allowing him to get a lifetime immunity after he's already agreed to the details of the settlement. Its like buying a car for $20k and then going back a week later and telling them you want to buy it for $2k less. All they're going to do is show you the door and tell you to GTFO.Ugh... that guy just needs to go away. He's done nothing but stall the best thing to happen to the city of akron in a long time. Good riddance, sir, good riddance.

They're gone by mid-March.But, Manny is fighting to redo the deal. He wants a lifetime no eminent domain deal at his new location across from the Brown St Fields, instead of the 15 years he originally agreed to.They've been filing motions in court.I seriously doubt that holds it up too long since they already had an agreement in place That Judge Spicer had approved.Manny just going through buyer's remorse on the eniment domain part of the deal. Manny needs the monies for the new place he already purchased and is already fixing up.He'll cave as UofA is filing motions to enforce the agreement which more then likely means the agreement was binding.
Great news. Thanks for the info! I'm still wondering why UA agreed not to use Eminent domain on some head shop like the "odd corner". Whatever, at least Manny's outta here.
UA may have agreed to not use eminent domain, but that doesn't stop the city from using it if they need it. Hmmm... street widening project anyone?

Where excatly is Manny's new location? I'm not aware of any unused commercial locations around the Buchtel Field area.
I saw a story in the ABJ with him in front of a lot with a house on it. Believe it was just behind the plasma place.
He purchased a couple houses at the corner of Wheeler and Brown. He in the process of renovating them and said in the article he be ready to re-open by mid-summer.