Butchie Washington

When the Zips played Penn State in 1999 there was a great article in PSU Student newspaper on Butchie Washington (Akron's QB at the time). This was back in the day when the ABJ's "coverage" was a joke. Can you imagine a starting Division 1 QB with a story like this and it took playing at Penn State, in the guy's 4th year at UA, for me to learn about it? Overall, the column is unreal, coming from a student newspaper covering a seemingly "meaningless" nonconference game. In fairness to the ABJ - In Butchie's 5th season, Terry Pluto basically re-wrote this column for Akron fans.

When the Zips played Penn State in 1999 there was a great article in PSU Student newspaper on Butchie Washington (Akron's QB at the time). This was back in the day when the ABJ's "coverage" was a joke. Can you imagine a starting Division 1 QB with a story like this and it took playing at Penn State, in the guy's 4th year at UA, for me to learn about it? Overall, the column is unreal, coming from a student newspaper covering a seemingly "meaningless" nonconference game. In fairness to the ABJ - In Butchie's 5th season, Terry Pluto basically re-wrote this column for Akron fans.
I agree what a wonderfully written article. Very interesting also. I had forgotten that Butchie came from Beechcroft HS down here in Columbus. I wonder shere Butchie is today? I also wonder where some of the other former players are. Obviously i know where some of them are but....

I agree what a wonderfully written article. Very interesting also. I had forgotten that Butchie came from Beechcroft HS down here in Columbus. I wonder where Butchie is today?
Butchie was working with Ashland's QB's for a while. But it appears he's no longer there.I know Nick Sparks is doing well out in Arizona...he and his wife recently had a baby girl. Duane LeFall also lives in Az. Matt Cherry is working in Hollywood. He works on the show "Heroes" (in production, not acting).Brandon Payne was finishing up his degree last Spring.Marques Hayes lives in Wadsworth. I believe he's teaching? He also has a semi-new baby.A lot of great guys from that era, both as players and as people. Too bad they could never get a decent defense. They definitely had a championship-level offense.

Capt'n,Help me out here. How do you have a semi-new baby? Not to worry, though, if he/she is a new Zip that's all that matters. New or old we all know :screwks: