JENNA WON!!!!

zippyrifle32

if i remember correctly, winning gives her an automatic appointment on the national team... or maybe that's the national development team. anyways, she will have future opportunities to train under the national coach and compete for our country. the door is now open for her to possibly be representing the us in the olympics some day.

resultsIT'S OFFICIAL... JENNA COMPTON IS THE 2009 NATIONAL AIR RIFLE CHAMPION!!! she beat out second place by 6 tenths of a point in the final!
Excuse me, but are positions 2 through 8 all men? This is a great victory in many ways! I'm wiping away a tear for the University of Akron's newest NATIONAL CHAMPION. We luv ya Jen!!!!! :wave:

WOW! WOW! WOW! I have to tell you, I never, never thought I would see this day come!! I knew the Rifle team would someday produce national champions, I just figured it would take another 10 - 15 years! Congrats Jenna! You have made many, many Akron Alumni PROUD! LOOK FOR THE GUY WITH THE AKRON RIFLE HAT ON TONIGHT!!!

Way to go Jenna!Now that we have 2 national champions in individual sports. Third time is a charm, right? A team sport is next... Men's soccer next year?
BASKETBALL this year!BELIEVE!!!!!!!!
Hey Zippy won mascot of the year, i'd count that as a national championship! haha

This is going to have a HUGE impact on recruiting! IMO, this is the spark the Rifle Team needed to believe they can shoot with the best and bust into the championship match as a team. I still can't believe she won. I know many are probably going to think this is crazy, but in my book, this is WAY, WAY, WAY bigger than the BB team winning the MAC tourney! Now...where's the article in the ABJ??? It's not every day UA crowns a NATIONAL CHAMPION!!

there was a small paragraph on the second page of the sports sectionstory

Colleges: Zips' Compton wins title• University of Akron freshman Jenna Compton became just the second athlete in school history to win a national championship, and the first to do so for the rifle squad, as she won the NCAA collegiate individual air rifle championship Saturday afternoon at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth. With the victory, Compton becomes the first UA athlete to capture a national championship since Christi Smith, who won the 1990 outdoor heptathlon national title.

Looks like the big event was sold out. If you want tickets for next year I recommend getting your name on the waiting list now. :blink:
it looks really empty because it is, but you also have to remember that due to safety reasons, they have to keep at least every seat from the firing point extended and forward empty. 2649_560414567734_18308994_34522325_2111960_n.jpg

Looks like the big event was sold out. If you want tickets for next year I recommend getting your name on the waiting list now. :blink:
it looks really empty because it is, but you also have to remember that due to safety reasons, they have to keep at least every seat from the firing point extended and forward empty. 2649_560414567734_18308994_34522325_2111960_n.jpg
Actually, aren't we using this as a template for the new UA range??? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I really think the Beacon is serious about turning the corner on Zips' sports coverage. Tom Gaffney wrote a nice (albeit tardy) article about Jenna's accomplishment in today's paper (Link).LinkMay I offer a belated congratulations to Jenna myself. Great job!!! You even had Steve French and the rest of the WNIR morning show talking about you this morning :)

Wow, I really think the Beacon is serious about turning the corner on Zips' sports coverage. Tom Gaffney wrote a nice (albeit tardy) article about Jenna's accomplishment in today's paper (Link).LinkMay I offer a belated congratulations to Jenna myself. Great job!!! You even had Steve French and the rest of the WNIR morning show talking about you this morning :)
Yea, I was thinking the same thing about the ABJ. Of course, I was cursing them when they didn't have an article about her accomplishments. That was a great story too.