Payne visiting Akron???

..... And as far as majoring in bussiness, I hope someone let's him know UA has one of the top Bussiness programs in the country per Bussiness Week magazine.
Excellent point.For the first time in the CBA’s history, the college has been ranked by BusinessWeek Magazine as one of the best undergraduate business schools in the nation. In the magazine’s 2009 annual ranking of undergraduate business programs, the CBA was ranked 93rd and is the only business program at a public university in Northeast Ohio to be included in the top 100. There are over 1,600 undergraduate business programs in the U.S.
..... Note: Lets get someone affiliated with the hoops team to drive down to Dayton and give the kid's grandma a ride to the home games! That might take away Dayton's obvious "close to home" advantage.
Just be sure to check the NCAA rule book closely before making any "helpful" moves!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about, the more I believe the zips have the upper hand. The biggest ace in the hole we have is our programs policies on recruiting. KD recruits kids with a strong family background for a reason. If this kid comes to Akron and his grandmother likes how important family is to our program, you'd better believe we will have a good shot.And as far as majoring in bussiness, I hope someone let's him know UA has one of the top Bussiness programs in the country per Bussiness Week magazine.Ultimately, you just have to have let the kid decide. Just like Zeke, some kids just "click" with a certain program. Let's hope that Akron clicks with Payne as well.Note: Lets get someone affiliated with the hoops team to drive down to Dayton and give the kid's grandma a ride to the home games! That might take away Dayton's obvious "close to home" advantage.
Hey that seems like a solid idea to me! I really think he's narrowed his options down and we're in a good position here. We have a chance to put everything we have into recruiting this kid. The only thing I know is we have a lot of ground to make upcross your fingers

A couple of tidbits.I also think OSU is out because they already have signed 2 5 star forwards. Thats not too many minutes.Also Xavier already has JD Weatherspoon committed who was on Payne's AAU team and they are really close.He was also quoted as saying his dream is for his Grandma to see him graduate college and go to the NBA so whoever gets him will have him for a while.Also this was posted on Xaviers boards:"We have one more scholarship between the 2009 and 2010 class. CJ and BJ will graduate this year so that leave two scholarships, one for Parrom and the other one open (Kyryl).The following year Xavier will say goodbye to Jason Love and Derrick Brown. We currenlty have Columbus Northland product SF JD Weatherspoon, and Baltimore City College PF Jordan Latham taking those two spots.Unless Jordan Crawford goes pro after one year, Andrew Taylor gives up his scholarship again, or we have a transfer we are out of scholarships until 2011."So that might rule them out.Only time will tell...

Yes I hear OSU is out, and the short list is now:Dayton Akron Xavier U Cincinnati West Virginia Dayton to me seems the heavy favorite. I view Akron's stock as rising while Xaviers seems to be falling. I don't think UC stands a chance and WVU could be pretty tempting. I worry about the closeness he has with Dayton (team and location) and hope we can get his attention.

Xavier may have just taken another step back in the Payne sweepstakes. Their coach is reportedly jumping ship to take over the head coaching vacancy at Arizona. Coaching changes have a tendency to scare off some recruits.
See: Patrick Nicely. I'm liking our chances with this kid more everyday.

My understanding is the Xavier coach is staying put. Regardless, the chance this kid will pick Akron are about 1 out of 1,000.
Yahoo Sports: Miller Leaving for Arizona.... All I can say is that this Kid is a lot closer to chosing Akron than what the media states. Don't be surprised if he signs. People said the same thing about Zeke Marshall..oh yeah..I DO BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE ZEKE...lol

My understanding is the Xavier coach is staying put. Regardless, the chance this kid will pick Akron are about 1 out of 1,000.
The chances are more like 1-in-5. OSU seems to be focusing on getting a PG for their last scholarship, which means they would be backing off Payne.Also, it's pretty much a done deal that the Xavier coach is leaving for Arizona.

I wouldn't say that our chances our 1 in 5. I think that puts all 6 teams on his supposed short list (us, Dayton, Xavier, OSU, Cincinnati and WVU) on equal footing. I don't think that is the case. All the reports on the kid have Dayton as the frontrunner for his services. If I had to rate our chances I would say more along the lines of 1 in 15-20. I think we are well behind Dayton and probably trailing a couple others right now. His visits here at the end of the month will probably make or break us.

I think if he is as raw as everybody is saying he is, then I don't think WVU would be a good fit for him. He would have to wait two years or so to play.Dayton seems far and away the favorite due to them being a better program overall, being very local to a kid that wants to stay local. However, Akron has a very bright future and he would make an immediate impact here. The thought of playing next to Zeke and with our young talent has to be enticing. Akron could make some runs in the NCAA tourney which would get him a lot more attention than Dayton.

Who knows, Dayton could make a sweet 16 run next year and then Gregory is gone.
I think you've touched on one of Akron's recruiting advantages. Though they will flat-out lie to the faces of their recruits till they are blue in the face about this, both Dayton's and, now obviously, Xavier's coaches are/will be looking to move on to bigger and better things at the first ring of the phone. KD however, is an Akron guy, bleeds blue and gold, wants to see not just the university progress but the entire city as well. He is home here and he's not going anywhere. We're so fortunate to have the stability, vision and leadership that KD provides.

If Akron does manage to sign Adreian Payne, anyone have the skills to hijack the new Info scoreboard and have it continuous play the end of Rocky II?"Yo, Adreian, WE DID IT!"
My recruiting pitch to Adrian - Play at UA and even if you shoot 3-17 from the field the scoreboard will display 50%. Can Dayton's do that?!