Band-related New Info Traditions

Blue & Gold

We haven't visited this topic in a while, but, to anyone in the marching band, and everyone part of the ZipsNation, what pregame plans is the university putting together? We'll be opening the Info before we know it, so I'm assuming our athletic department has spent countless hours, and many sleepless nights, researching, brainstorming and planning the entire game day experience, right? :rolleyes: Pregame band session in the JAR? Military-style, drum-cadence-driven parade from the JAR to the Info? Anything? Again, I haven't heard a peep on this subject in a very long time and the silence has me more than a bit concerned.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know at the very least we will be marching over in that direction starting at Guzzetta Hall. The march through campus is something a lot of schools have gotten to do, but it was obviously impossible with the Rubber Bowl. I haven't heard anything about an OSUesque skull session. It's kind of hard to get details since Mr. Karriker will be coming back next year. I'll see what I can find out for you.

We haven't visited this topic in a while, but, to anyone in the marching band, and everyone part of the ZipsNation, what pregame plans is the university putting together? We'll be opening the Info before we know it, so I'm assuming our athletic department has spent countless hours, and many sleepless nights, researching, brainstorming and planning the entire game day experience, right? :rolleyes: Pregame band session in the JAR? Military-style, drum-cadence-driven parade from the JAR to the Info? Anything? Again, I haven't heard a peep on this subject in a very long time and the silence has me more than a bit concerned.
If I can get jalapenos with my nachos @ Infocision I will consider the University's planning to have been a major success.

For football games fans love the military-style marching band. We should definitely change our style to be more military. Save the more artistic pieces for the band concerts. For football games, naturally, go military.The kick-a$$ drum cadences are possibly the greatest thing that marching bands can pull off to get the crowd jacked. Check out Columbus State's drum cadence during the band entrance:

I hope our administrators note how jacked the crowd is. It's due to the drum cadence (which is difficult to hear in this clip). It's because they are there to see a bone-crushing football game - they want to be jacked up. Military style. The crowd is absolutely NOT jacked up to hear OSU's band play Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. The skull session consists of the band entering to the drum cadence and then, following the band making their way to their seats, the playing of the OSU fight song. After that the band plays about 20 minutes of whatever. It should be duly noted that the drum-cadence-led entrance and the playing of the fight song is FAR AND AWAY the only exciting part of the show. After the playing of the fight song, many people start to file out of the skull session, or just kinda sit there and look at their watches. The rest of the show is BORING. Sorry, we're not there to hear a band concert, we're there to watch some smash-mouthed football! I am assuming we are going to do a skull session in the JAR, or in Memorial Hall, before the games at the Info. I REALLY HOPE I'M NOT ASSUMING TOO MUCH. The skull session musical selections should be very adolescent-friendly (fight song, alma matter, popular movie scores?). In the clip above, check out all the blue-uniform-clad kids sitting in the front rows of the bleachers as OSU's band comes marching in. That's a visiting high school band. OSU brings in a few different high school bands each week to sit in on the skull session and to play with their band. WHAT A RECRUITING TOOL!!! Lord have mercy. I guarantee almost every pimply-faced high school band nerd that participates in an OSU skull session now dreams of being a part of that band over the next few years. We need to do the same.

In the clip above, check out all the blue-uniform-clad kids sitting in the front rows of the bleachers as OSU's band comes marching in. That's a visiting high school band. OSU brings in a few different high school bands each week to sit in on the skull session and to play with their band. WHAT A RECRUITING TOOL!!! Lord have mercy. I guarantee almost every pimply-faced high school band nerd that participates in an OSU skull session now dreams of being a part of that band over the next few years. We need to do the same.
Ever heard of Bands in the Bowl?

I know at the very least we will be marching over in that direction starting at Guzzetta Hall. The march through campus is something a lot of schools have gotten to do, but it was obviously impossible with the Rubber Bowl. I haven't heard anything about an OSUesque skull session. It's kind of hard to get details since Mr. Karriker will be coming back next year. I'll see what I can find out for you.
Thanks! Guzzetta hall would be a good venue for our own skull session! I'm afraid if we'd start out in the JAR it would be waaaaay too empty. An empty venue would have the opposite effect of what we're looking for. Guzzetta would fill up much more quickly and possibly be a hot ticket. If we'd ever out grow Guzzetta, we could possibly move to Memorial Hall, or E.J. If we outgrow those venues (and it might take a number of years to do that, but these are brand new traditions we're starting) then we could make a move to the JAR.Could you guys march into Guzzetta like OSU marches into St. John Arena? I've seen that in person a number of times and, I'll tell you what, I am NO OSU fan, but when you're there watching it, even a Wolverine would get jacked for OSU football. It is that emotive! (Hyperbole)Also, man, I think it's so important to have room for those high schoolers in there. They're soooo impressionable that if they get goosebumps watching the crowd cheer for you guys in a skull session, they're going to want to come to UA and be a part of that!!

In the clip above, check out all the blue-uniform-clad kids sitting in the front rows of the bleachers as OSU's band comes marching in. That's a visiting high school band. OSU brings in a few different high school bands each week to sit in on the skull session and to play with their band. WHAT A RECRUITING TOOL!!! Lord have mercy. I guarantee almost every pimply-faced high school band nerd that participates in an OSU skull session now dreams of being a part of that band over the next few years. We need to do the same.
Ever heard of Bands in the Bowl?
Oh, absolutely! And that is awesome when you guys do that! But if we could work those high schoolers into a skull session it would blow their minds! During the band's entrance in those skull sessions you honestly just wanna go hit something (or someone ;) )! They're insane. Usually during high school games everyone takes a restroom break during the halftime show. Too bad, because those band kids put a TON of work into what they do. However, at the skull session, they are the center of attention. It's great stuff.

Have you ever been in Guzzetta Hall? The music area is absolutely falling apart. We have music rehearsal either in the recital hall with all the band members standing in the seats and the director on the stage or in Room 09 where the director stands on the instrument lockers in the front of the room and no percussion because they don't fit. We don't have any kind of facilities to speak of. They can't even have large ensemble concerts in Guzzetta anymore because the groups don't fit on the recital hall stage. Go in there and take a look around. There are about 40 practice rooms for a couple hundred music majors plus who ever else wants to use them. Most of the sound systems in the classrooms either don't or barely work. The elevators never work. Our school owned instruments (especially tubas) are falling apart. They put a fresh coat of paint on the walls this year but that's about the only upgrade they've done in years. We out grew that building, and our funding a long time ago. I was kind of hoping they would put a new room for the band in the stadium like they did at Minnesota. Wishful thinking I guess.

Have you ever been in Guzzetta Hall? The music area is absolutely falling apart. We have music rehearsal either in the recital hall with all the band members standing in the seats and the director on the stage or in Room 09 where the director stands on the instrument lockers in the front of the room and no percussion because they don't fit. We don't have any kind of facilities to speak of. They can't even have large ensemble concerts in Guzzetta anymore because the groups don't fit on the recital hall stage. Go in there and take a look around. There are about 40 practice rooms for a couple hundred music majors plus who ever else wants to use them. Most of the sound systems in the classrooms either don't or barely work. The elevators never work. Our school owned instruments (especially tubas) are falling apart. They put a fresh coat of paint on the walls this year but that's about the only upgrade they've done in years. We out grew that building, and our funding a long time ago. I was kind of hoping they would put a new room for the band in the stadium like they did at Minnesota. Wishful thinking I guess.
Ha! No, I've never been in Guzzetta Hall. But, for some reason I thought they had just renovated Guzzetta, or added onto it, or something, within the last 2 or 3 years? Obviously, I was totally mistaken! Lol. E.J. Thomas then?

Ha! No, I've never been in Guzzetta Hall. But, for some reason I thought they had just renovated Guzzetta, or added onto it, or something, within the last 2 or 3 years? Obviously, I was totally mistaken! Lol. E.J. Thomas then?
They built an addition for the dance studios. The music department was totally ignored when it came to necessary upgrades and it's falling apart.

They built an addition for the dance studios. The music department was totally ignored when it came to necessary upgrades and it's falling apart.
Well then maybe the band could run through a couple of pregame dance routines to get the crowd jacked. :blink:

I'd be cool to have the band march through campus and wake everyone up for the game. Really build up the excitement and make sure the whole day has a special feel to it. Would be almost like a UAkron parade.
You're absolutely right! I'm hoping that those in charge are busy planning the entire game day morning so that the entire day has, as you say, a special feel to it. I pray that those in charge are not simply sitting around just thinking the new stadium will suffice and do all the work for them. We need to make game day a truly eventful DAY. We don't just want to look forward to a football game. We want to look forward to the day. The football game should simply be the climax of a great day.

i kind of hope they get rid of the big inflatable helmet they had at the rubber bowl...i always thought it was a bit cheesy. they gotta keep the fireworks tho, even use more!
Is the team supposed to run on to the field from the new end zone facility? I like it when teams gather in an end zone & mosh around & hit each other and scream at each other & then, following the team captains, bum rush the 50 yard line through a tunnel of band members & mosh some more! Dang, I've got goosebumps just sitting here. I am so ready for football!!!

They need to have entertainment all over campus, whether it's a parade, bands, food, a pep rally, whatever: Just get people out of their dorm rooms and into the game! We could maybe get a decent band that people would be excited about to have a concert at EJ, followed by a pep rally and then a huge parade through campus with zippy and all his antics. Hey maybe even some free food from our food services here. Then end the festivities maybe 2 hours before so students can make their own traditions (tailgating and whatever else).The entire campus needs to be PACKED...and not just with UAkron students, but visitors and recruits as well. Charge up the energy and surge the Info.

I don't like the idea of doing the pre-pregame sessions (sorry just can't bring myself to use an OSU name) in the guzz or EJ because it's just a tad to far away from the stadium and everything else going on. I would like to see it start either in the JAR or Memorial. I agree that those might be to big but we could shut down one side and have everyone on the other side while shutting the curtains up top like they do for the womens game. I was in band a number of years and I've said to people before that they should keep the more artsy things for concert band. HOWEVER I would like them to find the fine line so that the band can continue to play songs that aren't easy cheesy arrangements (like that band to the east) play popular stuff yes but just find some way to not play popular and stupid. I also hope that the band has some way of making a cool entrence to the stadium so they don't have to just stand around and mingle like they did outside the gate of the old bowl. and even though not everyone agrees with me on this I think it would be awesome to see the old tire drum come back (even if it's a polymer tire) it's just that the band needs some gimik (sp?) I love them to death but as of now they just kinda melt in with all the other bands and have nothing that really stands out. atleast now that I'm not there to make them the sexiest band in the land ;)

If I can get jalapenos with my nachos @ Infocision I will consider the University's planning to have been a major success.
i asked a person at the concessions window at the JAR this year if i could get jalapeno's on my nachos and she informed me that "they dont carry them anymore". I asked why and was told "because they were too hot for people".True story.

For football games fans love the military-style marching band. We should definitely change our style to be more military. Save the more artistic pieces for the band concerts. For football games, naturally, go military.The kick-a$ drum cadences are possibly the greatest thing that marching bands can pull off to get the crowd jacked. Check out Columbus State's drum cadence during the band entrance:
I hope our administrators note how jacked the crowd is. It's due to the drum cadence (which is difficult to hear in this clip). It's because they are there to see a bone-crushing football game - they want to be jacked up. Military style. The crowd is absolutely NOT jacked up to hear OSU's band play Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. The skull session consists of the band entering to the drum cadence and then, following the band making their way to their seats, the playing of the OSU fight song. After that the band plays about 20 minutes of whatever. It should be duly noted that the drum-cadence-led entrance and the playing of the fight song is FAR AND AWAY the only exciting part of the show. After the playing of the fight song, many people start to file out of the skull session, or just kinda sit there and look at their watches. The rest of the show is BORING. Sorry, we're not there to hear a band concert, we're there to watch some smash-mouthed football! I am assuming we are going to do a skull session in the JAR, or in Memorial Hall, before the games at the Info. I REALLY HOPE I'M NOT ASSUMING TOO MUCH. The skull session musical selections should be very adolescent-friendly (fight song, alma matter, popular movie scores?). In the clip above, check out all the blue-uniform-clad kids sitting in the front rows of the bleachers as OSU's band comes marching in. That's a visiting high school band. OSU brings in a few different high school bands each week to sit in on the skull session and to play with their band. WHAT A RECRUITING TOOL!!! Lord have mercy. I guarantee almost every pimply-faced high school band nerd that participates in an OSU skull session now dreams of being a part of that band over the next few years. We need to do the same.
Funny you mention that. I have been to several Ohio University football games over the past few years and they do a pregame thing by their union and then march to the stadium like Ohio State. And very similarly they bring in highschool bands as well but from what i have heard they dont invite them, they just show up. I actually went to their season ending "show/performance" and it was in a sold out theater with about 20 busloads worth of local high school bands all mimicking their every move dancing along. It was astounding. If a terrible football program like OU can build a following with their marching band, it's shocking that we cannot. It just takes the right direction and right approach to it all. Basically, sorry to say but our band lacks the professionalism and the cohesiveness of the more popular bands like Columbus State, USC, Ohio University,...etc.It's easy to see when you go to a game and they are not all uniform in every way. A good example was the last game at the Rubber Bowl when the band lined the sideline and half of them were joking around and fooling around on the sideline when such an important ceremony was occuring just 20-30 yards from them.

i asked a person at the concessions window at the JAR this year if i could get jalapeno's on my nachos and she informed me that "they dont carry them anymore". I asked why and was told "because they were too hot for people".True story.
Can the melted cheese be far behind?At least the chips sold are round, so you don't need to worry about cutting your mouth on any sharp triangle corners.

Wow. You'll just have to go "Nacho Drag" from now on. :)

Doors on the bathroom stalls would be a nice tradition to start.....