Erick Howard

Everything I read about this kid just doesn't sound like he's got any real hope for making it here. It seems like the kid doesn't want to be here, is only coming here as an absolute last resort and would rather coast on his natural talents on the field than put in the work in the classroom to get himself eligible. You can talk about all the academic support programs you want, but if the kid doesn't want to be here, and doesn't want to put the effort in, it won't make a difference. I hope I'm wrong, but I just feel like I've watched this movie before and didn't enjoy the ending. Maybe there is a better, alternate ending on the DVD extras I'm not aware of.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howard probably isn't going to be eligible right away next fall, but he can get in school and get eligible for 2011. Morgan Williams did the same thing at Toledo, and he got eligible. His first year on the field he rushed for over 1,000 yards.By the way, Howard supposedly is visiting Can't State this weekend, but I don't see him signing there. Can't State does not have open enrollment so he wouldn't be able to get into there anyway.I agree with Captain Kangaroo. If a guy like Erick Howard wants to come to your school and try to get eligible, you take him.
Heck some of those qualifier kids could just as easily be the next Jacquemain.I say welcome Erick, and here's to you being the next Chester Taylor.
I agree. Let's welcome the kid to the Zips and wish him the best for a knockout spring semester @ Hoover so that he has the opportunity to begin his career with the Zips uninterrupted by paperwork and eligibility delays.Go Zips!

Howard probably isn't going to be eligible right away next fall, but he can get in school and get eligible for 2011. Morgan Williams did the same thing at Toledo, and he got eligible. His first year on the field he rushed for over 1,000 yards.By the way, Howard supposedly is visiting Can't State this weekend, but I don't see him signing there. Can't State does not have open enrollment so he wouldn't be able to get into there anyway.I agree with Captain Kangaroo. If a guy like Erick Howard wants to come to your school and try to get eligible, you take him.
Heck some of those qualifier kids could just as easily be the next Jacquemain.I say welcome Erick, and here's to you being the next Chester Taylor.
I agree. Let's welcome the kid to the Zips and wish him the best for a knockout spring semester @ Hoover so that he has the opportunity to begin his career with the Zips uninterrupted by paperwork and eligibility delays.Go Zips!
Can we offer tutoring services? I'll take the first shift :D

Yeah I thought about that last night. I don't know if there are NCAA regulations that prevent it (sure they have rules about it somewhere) but if he signs an LOI before hand, it couldn't be considered recruit tampering.

Yeah I thought about that last night. I don't know if there are NCAA regulations that prevent it (sure they have rules about it somewhere) but if he signs an LOI before hand, it couldn't be considered recruit tampering.
I bet he would not be overly excited about receiving help.

Everything I read about this kid just doesn't sound like he's got any real hope for making it here. It seems like the kid doesn't want to be here, is only coming here as an absolute last resort and would rather coast on his natural talents on the field than put in the work in the classroom to get himself eligible. You can talk about all the academic support programs you want, but if the kid doesn't want to be here, and doesn't want to put the effort in, it won't make a difference. I hope I'm wrong, but I just feel like I've watched this movie before and didn't enjoy the ending. Maybe there is a better, alternate ending on the DVD extras I'm not aware of.
I look at it this way.....Ianello was late into the game this year and most of the really good recruits are already taken. He is going to fill his class out regardless of whether Erick Howard comes to UA. Would you rather fill out our classes with borderline D1 level players or would you rather take a chance on a BCS kid or two? In my opinion, I go for the homerun. Chances are the borderline D1 level kid never steps on the field anyway, so what do you really have to lose?

Derrick Tarver (leading JUCO scorer in the nation),
Ahhhhhhh, Derrick Tarver.... He was the most predictable player in Zips BB history. If he got the ball past half court, a shot was going up. The team was terrible so you had to be entertained by something, and his strange brand of basketball was it.

My understanding is we have about 12 commitments so far. 13 spots to go. With only 5 days to go! Erich Howard may be a gamble but hes local and we can use local kids/local support. (By the way- can Bobby Hendry help us with this one??) He verbally committed to UA. He went on to visit Toledo and maybe Can't. So what. Hes a 17/18 yr old wide eyed kid thats getting the red carpet treatment, you cant blame him for that. If as pointed out he is a non qualifier it would be far easier for him to live at home and pay his own first year at UA than at Toledo. Still CK's review of our Mr football/Mr basketball athletes is undeniable. Ill add Antoine Lavendar( Mr Basketball) from Sandusky to that list.

was reading up on rivals yesterday and they had some topics on recruiting in ohio. the question was who has recruited ohio the best out of the mac schools and they both said akron and if howard signs akron by a big gap. that is really good to read. the stadium is starting to pay off and ri is starting to finish what jd started this year with a very solid class :screwks:

was reading up on rivals yesterday and they had some topics on recruiting in ohio. the question was who has recruited ohio the best out of the mac schools and they both said akron and if howard signs akron by a big gap. that is really good to read. the stadium is starting to pay off and ri is starting to finish what jd started this year with a very solid class :screwks:
Was that article based on this year alone, or recent years too?

I wish I were young and impressionable so I could get excited over this commitment. I've just been burnt too many times...
We could say the same thing about the football team season after season, yet we are thrilled to death at the start of every new season even though they usually end in disappointment. Why are we excited every year? Because we never know what is going to happen. I will stay optomistic with Howard for the time being.

Here's hoping we can lock up a few more WRs. Only 25% of the verbals so far are WRs. If we can get that figure up to 50% we will be able to use the 6 wide out offense more.

Here's hoping we can lock up a few more WRs. Only 25% of the verbals so far are WRs. If we can get that figure up to 50% we will be able to use the 6 wide out offense more.
Lol. I'm also thrilled in seeing so few DL's & OL's. What a waste of schollies they are. People used to think the game was won & lost @ the line of scrimmage. I'm glad to see we've outgrown that archaic notion.

I wish I were young and impressionable so I could get excited over this commitment. I've just been burnt too many times...
We could say the same thing about the football team season after season, yet we are thrilled to death at the start of every new season even though they usually end in disappointment. Why are we excited every year? Because we never know what is going to happen. I will stay optomistic with Howard for the time being.
we can also say the same thing about this years basketball team...although I saw them being a flop this season

We could say the same thing about the football team season after season, yet we are thrilled to death at the start of every new season even though they usually end in disappointment. Why are we excited every year? Because we never know what is going to happen.
I understand your feelings, but the main reason I am excited this year is change. I was tired of watching both of our schemes fail. Both of those are changing this year. For a true freshman, I thought PN16 looked great at the end of last year. I think he is the real deal and I'm looking forward to his progress this year. Like it has been written many times here, I think there is talent on this team, and I'm hoping the new staff will get the most out of the talent we have. It's sports, you never know what's going to happen, if you did, you would be rich.

Howard told the Canton Repository recently that he needed B averages in four of his five classes to be able to join the Zips for fall practice.Hoover coach Don Hertler Jr. said Wednesday morning that Howard's status won't be known until June 1, when Howard's final transcript is available.It could go longer than that. The NCAA allows an athlete to enroll in one summer class to apply to his GPA.''He's taking the ACT at least one more time,'' Hertler said. ''He's got to have a great second semester. We'll have to wait and see how he finishes.''If Howard's last-gasp academic push fails and he's declared a Proposition 48, he could attend UA this fall but would have to pay his own way and not participate in football. Or he could attend a junior college or a prep school like Fork Union Military Academy, which would open the door for the Tressels of the world to go after him. That would happen next year in the case of a prep school, or in two years after Howard graduated from junior college.''We've done our research on the young man, we've checked him out,'' Ianello said. ''Part of the process is to do a thorough academic evaluation, visit with their counselor, talk to them in terms of academics. Young men all over the country still have work to do to get into college. I'm sure our class is no different.''The full story can be found here.