Erick Howard

torrence can run the ball if given the chance.i now jd pulled him because he fumbled,and he tried to bounce plays outside.i think jd really blew not playing him more last year.
I'm hoping Torrence is taught how to carry the ball so he doesn't fumble. I bet he could accomplish more by learning that because the talent is there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some info from a friend of mine who is a Hoover football fan and season ticket holder. Howard has tons of talent as a running back, but his true position would be inside linebacker where his size and speed made him a devistating tackler. He didn't play every down on defense during highschool, just the ones that counted. He has been in alot of trouble during his HS career and currently lives with his HS head coach. His mother is a real piece of work. She moved to Vegas for a while and left him with the coach. Since the move things have improved academic wise, but maybe not enough to graduate. He has an older brother who is currently attending Akron. :screwks:
howard may graduate but may not have enough GPA and or test scores to qualify..apparently he has or will take the act multiple times...he is having his hand hled in hs just to qualify...if he has to go prep school and makes it there who knows where he will end up...would be a shame to waste a tough runner like that which akron needs badly at lb..
Is this the so-called trashing post you all are writing about? It didn't even sound critical to me! But I would request the poster correct the spelling and grammar errors and return it for a grade. :rolleyes:
i'll se if mi 3rd grade teecher is stil around...or is that u out theire miss folk?

There is a new pay article on scout.com. Howard talks about Akron and OSU. He makes the statement "even if I make grades I still might go to prep school". He also says some very nice things about Akron but dude wants to wear the scralet and gray. I don't ever see him in a Zip uniform.

There is a new pay article on scout.com. Howard talks about Akron and OSU. He makes the statement "even if I make grades I still might go to prep school". He also says some very nice things about Akron but dude wants to wear the scralet and gray. I don't ever see him in a Zip uniform.
\Saw the same thing. He will never play a down for Akron. He doesn't really want to be here.

Why is noone mentioning one important thing...Why is it not a sure thing that he will get a B average? Is he that big of a slacker or is he just plain stupid? I mean if he really has some sort of learning disability than my bad i dont mean to offend but you cant tell me that he cant get 4 out of 5 B's. That means he could get an A in one and only get 2 B's right (with a C)? How hard is that? It's highschool for crying out loud.Do we want someone on our team that knows he will get a free ride to college and to play football if he just puts mediocre effort towards it but still wont? Because that's all it takes to get a 2.3 for your HS career, MEDIOCRITY.

I don't claim to know what motivates Howard. A lot of posters seem to think they know what makes him tick. I doubt it. I'll venture this much and leave it at that. He doesn't seem to have any passion to be a Zip. We appear to be one of many fall-back positions for him and that leads me to believe he will never play for the Zips. In the grand scheme of things, that may not be a bad thing. You build a program on people who buy into the vision and want to be here, not those who have to be coaxed into it.If Ianello can coach, we'll be OK. We have the talent, we just never had a coach or unified staff.

\Saw the same thing. He will never play a down for Akron. He doesn't really want to be here.
as claude rains said in casablanca...i'm shocked,shocked...etc etc...if you know the movie you'll know...seems like what appears to be,isn't...lets see what happens on the field in september eh?

I said it earlier in this thread and I will say it again. This kid will NEVER put on a UA uniform. Waste of a scholarship. I don't care if he were a 4 time All-American and the #1 recruit in the country, there is no purpose whatsoever in signing a kid who doesn't want to be here and probably can't make the grades to qualify anyways. I am utterly shocked at how soon some people forget the headaches we went through under Brookhardt with kids like this.

I said it earlier in this thread and I will say it again. This kid will NEVER put on a UA uniform. Waste of a scholarship. I don't care if he were a 4 time All-American and the #1 recruit in the country, there is no purpose whatsoever in signing a kid who doesn't want to be here and probably can't make the grades to qualify anyways. I am utterly shocked at how soon some people forget the headaches we went through under Brookhardt with kids like this.
If he comes to UA, we get a Parade All-American. If he doesn't, it didn't cost us squat.If I'm in Vegas and I have a 50/00 chance to win $1million dollars. And there's absolutely no risk...I simply need to say "I accept the gamble"...ummmmm...I take that bet.If you use Brookhart's player retention as an example, you are really, really grasping for straws. Brookhart based two full recruiting classes on kids like Howard. Ianello is basing one single scholarship out of 23 on an at-risk kid.

If he comes to UA, we get a Parade All-American. If he doesn't. it didn't cost us squat.If I'm in Vegas and I have a 50/00 chance to win $1million dollars. And there's absolutely no risk...I simply need to say "I accept the gamble"...ummmmm...I take that bet.If you use Brookhart's player retention as an example, you are really, really grasping for straws. Brookhart based two full recruiting classes on kids like Howard. Ianello is basing one single scholarship out of 23 on an at-risk kid.
I'm betting there is a 20/80 chance you meant to say 50/50.

I'd feel better about kids like Howard if he were "at risk" but appreciative and motivated to ball at UA. He clearly doesn't get it that he's a marginal overall package and that UA offered him a fabulous opportunity. Kids like this have been stroked and coddled by idiot coaches to the point that their egos will not allow them to see the forest for the trees. Playing D-1 football at a MAC program, potentially starring and getting on the field from day one, would provide marvelous opportunities for a kid like this, but of course being the typical meat head, entitled, stroked football star that he is, he can't imagine playing for other than Ohio State. Young man, get your head out of your ass. Get decent grades, work hard, stop listening to your adult fanboys and get your entitled ass on the UA practice field.

I agree one that stands out to me the most is David Harvey he couldnt get the grades in high school and he couldnt get them here either. If you cant get the grades in high school with all that support the chances you will succeed in college are very slim.

If you cant get the grades in high school with all that support....
With all what support?We'll take Howard's school...he goes to a school of 1648 students, his class is 416. 4 principles and 2 counselors. 122 faculty members. Equals 13.5 students for faculty member. These people show up, teach, go home, meet with a parent upon request. After school hours you are on your own.There are no designated people to baby anyone, you have class, and whatever help you get at home. There is far more support available at a University. People work just to support people who struggle, GA's, tutors, study sessions, study groups. Either way you look at it, success is on the individual, they have to want to succeed. But to say that because you didn't make grades in high school you won't in college is ludicrous. And to say that more help exists in High School? That is just plain wrong.

If you cant get the grades in high school with all that support....
With all what support?We'll take Howard's school...he goes to a school of 1648 students, his class is 416. 4 principles and 2 counselors. 122 faculty members. Equals 13.5 students for faculty member. These people show up, teach, go home, meet with a parent upon request. After school hours you are on your own.There are no designated people to baby anyone, you have class, and whatever help you get at home. There is far more support available at a University. People work just to support people who struggle, GA's, tutors, study sessions, study groups. Either way you look at it, success is on the individual, they have to want to succeed. But to say that because you didn't make grades in high school you won't in college is ludicrous. And to say that more help exists in High School? That is just plain wrong.
I never said you wont succeed I said the chances are not good and high school teachers hold your hand and walk you along you have tons of help through college I went to a school just as big and I can tell you from personal experience college was way different than high school to me it was a wake up. Im not saying that he has people following him around telling him the answers to test but compared to college high school was a breeze just my opinion.

I agree one that stands out to me the most is David Harvey he couldnt get the grades in high school and he couldnt get them here either. If you cant get the grades in high school with all that support the chances you will succeed in college are very slim.
He will get far more support at UofA than in high school.Florida State graduates players that are learning disabled (the LD classification is actually a scam they run to get the kids more help). If they can do that, one kid who was a little lazy early on in high school can graduate from UofA.I could care less about his grades. All indications show the kid does not really want to go to UofA.

• 4 months later...
Howards baby momma gave birth to his child a week or so ago. Just one more reason that he will never see the field for anybody.

You'd be surprised how many student-athletes have kids.

I'm sure your right about that. I just don't understand why this kid is making things difficult for himself. A baby is just one more obstacle and distraction.

He has talent, but I question his work ethic and priorities.

Howards baby momma gave birth to his child a week or so ago. Just one more reason that he will never see the field for anybody.

I'm sure your right about that. I just don't understand why this kid is making things difficult for himself. A baby is just one more obstacle and distraction.

I question his intelligence.

If he backs up the girl and kid the way he needs to, and never sees a D1 FB game, seems to me his priorities are fine.

Good luck to them all.

Go Zips.

If he backs up the girl and kid the way he needs to, and never sees a D1 FB game, seems to me his priorities are fine.

Good luck to them all.

Go Zips.

++ on that!! But I bet one guy in a grey vest won't necessarily agree.

Good luck to them all.

Go Zips.

++ on that!! But I bet one guy in a grey vest won't necessarily agree.

I'll take that bet.

I'm fairly certain at the time he was doing the horizontal hokey pokey making things more difficult for himself was not at the top of his thought process.