70 replies to this topic

#16 Z.I.P.

Z.I.P.

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Think back, folks. When Jeff Boals was introduced as assistant coach, did any of you know anything about him? He was a young guy with little experience at that level. He has developed, under the tutelage of Keith Dambrot, into a coach who is being considered as top assistant at the next step up, a high-major non-BCS type program. If he was able to grow into the position that well, I have to believe KD will find another fine young coach who can do the same. It might be considered a feather-in-the-cap to coach Keith to see another assistant move up in the profession. The next stop for JB would be a HC job at a spot in the high-mid-major area, like Shaka received. Or he might wait a few years and be in line to take over at XU. Given past experience they do change coaches a lot -- especially compared to Akron! :D BUT, on the other hand, if coach Boals could be kept under wraps at the JAR, that would be a small coup. It appears that X is interested at least in large part because of the immediate relationship Jeff has established with specific recruits Xavier needs in order to keep their spot in the pecking order. If we can keep him, it could be a sign that we have a better chance at the Paynes and Weatherspoon than is suspected by many. It might be Akron who moves UP in the pecking order.We need you Jeff. Now if we can just reward you for your work...

#17 ROCK1

ROCK1

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

From the Ohio State Rivals board:Archie Miller has agreed to take over a similar position at Arizona with his brother. Replacing Archie is Jeff Boals from Akron.Boals is one of the best, if not the best, when it comes to recruiting in the state of Ohio, and is a tireless worker. While losing Arch is a blow to OSU, hiring Boals is big time.

#18 WinZip

WinZip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

sighI hope not...

#19 w00t

w00t

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

Well, this is a kick in the taint.

#20 powerofx

powerofx

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

#$%^% you Sean Miller...messing up X while strengthening your boy Matta.

#21 zff

zff

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

With Boals gone where does that leave us the Zeke?

#22 Quickzips

Quickzips

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

I hope these reports are false, but it doesn't look good. The immediate effect is that this certainly hurts our recruiting efforts, particularly in terms of Payne and Weatherspoon. I really hope Zeke is solidly enough in our corner that this wouldn't impact him, but who knows. Definitly not a great day for the Zips, but I guess if we are going to become a high mid-major program we are going to have to learn to deal with days like this.

#23 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

Seems like nearly a lateral move, which would surprise me. X is often a ranked team, but he'd still be an assistant in a non-major conference.

I know I'm looking at this from my Xavier glasses but I think that statement is incorrect. And this is coming from someone that is from Akron, whose family all went to Akron,and who roots for the Zips as their number 2 team. Akron went to the tourney for the first time in 20+ years and has zero NBA players over that time period. XU pays coaches more...has been to 2 elite 8s and one sweet 16 over the past 6 years, plays to a sold out 10k arena, and develops NBA talent - both in the NBA (West, Posey, etc.) and on the roster (potentially Brown, Crawford).Saying its just another non-major team defies the logic as to why he came to UA from RMU...Now if you said that since he's Associate Head coach and will prbably stay at UA until he gets a head coaching gig rather than another assictant gig, I'd buy that.

That is pretty much what I am saying, that I believe his next move would be to some type of head coaching job.But at the same time, don't get the impression here that I am in any way touting the equality of Akron's and Xavier's programs. I'm only stating that I don't see a guy like Jeff leaving for an A-10 assistant job. I think his next move would be much bigger than that.

#24 CraftyMFer

CraftyMFer

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

I hope these reports are false, but it doesn't look good. The immediate effect is that this certainly hurts our recruiting efforts, particularly in terms of Payne and Weatherspoon. I really hope Zeke is solidly enough in our corner that this wouldn't impact him, but who knows. Definitly not a great day for the Zips, but I guess if we are going to become a high mid-major program we are going to have to learn to deal with days like this.

Zeke isnt going anywhere. He would have to sit out next year at a new school and probably pay his own way as well which is HIGHLY unikely.

#25 Zip Watcher

Zip Watcher

One of the Porky's Seven

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

Some brief thoughts on this, after sleeping on the tOSU news regarding JB last night.- First reaction was that it was bad for the Zips over and above just bad because we're losing a great guy. Good coach, good recruiter, great family guy .. he's integral to the complete program. But bad over and above because it could relieve us of any chance to land Weatherspoon or Payne or Payne.- This morning, I think I feel better about it than last night. If Jeff lands at OSU, I think that Payne & JDW might still be in play for Akron. The little that I know about tOSU's recruiting efforts for 2010 indicate that they have 1 spot open, and the position of need appears to be @ PG. They've already landed Sullinger for that class, and if another big isn't the position of need, Payne might not fit at tOSU. Perhaps.- Then if I believe my own BS on point #2, I've arrived at the conclusion that if we're losing Boals, it's better to lose him to tOSU than to XU. Especially if tOSU isn't bringing in another big for 2010. Had JB gone to XU, we'd most definitely be doomed on the Payne front. It's a longshot anyway .. but if Payne is close to Boals, and Boals ended up at XU, which is very much hot after him .. the equation's pretty easy. However, if tOSU isn't hot on a big .. then Payne could still be in play. I think it will be very interesting to see if the visit this weekend still goes down, and if the Rivals update dropping Akron from his list was a harbinger of this move by JB.- Next, I think this move, if confirmed .. should make Zips fans realize that the gap has closed big-time between Akron and the elite mid-majors (Xavier, Gonzaga, Dayton) as well as Akron and the BCS guys. We've landed one BCS talent .. he's signed and coming. We're in the hunt for 2 more for the following year. And a BCS that's been in the title game within the last 3 or 4 years is poaching our recruiter. Aside from the results on the court, which are apparent .. what further evidence do we need that this ship is steaming ahead in the right direction.- Lastly, I think, at least on the basketball side of things, we can drop the notion that the "Zips don't compete against tOSU for recruits." Fact is, they are, and they do compete for the same guys. One day soon, the Zips may just win one of these battles.There's work to be done, the gap still exists, but it's a little bit smaller this spring than last year .. and quite a bit smaller than it was in the spring of 2004.My best to Boals whatever happens. He's been great for the Zips, and he's always been cordial and engaging with the fans, some of us who are obsessed idiots when it comes to Zips hoops. It's a compliment to KD & the program for one of our guys to be pulled up to the bigger leagues.Go Zips!! B) B) B) B) P.S. Jeff, if you are going to Columbus, could you leave a parting gift in the way of a verbal from Payne to UA? We'd love you for it!
In case you missed it: The glory years for Zips hoops are NOW .. and they've just begun.

eZEKiEl 9, May 2008: And I will strike down upon thy shots with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to beat and outscore my brothers. And you will know my name is the Zeke when I lay my hands upon thy shot attempts!

#26 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

Firstly, you guys sound as if without Coach Boals no recruits are going to want to come here. Doesn't Coach Dambrot recruit these kids and build relationships with them too? Would a head coach give that power to a single assistant coach? So much power that if that assistant coach should leave then the program falls apart like a house of cards? I'm not being smart, I'm asking for those "in the know" to let me know how college recruiting works. Why should it matter THAT much if we lose an assistant coach? Our head coach is still here - isn't that why most kids choose one program over another?Secondly, if Coach Boals does indeed bolt for Columbus State (I'm going to puke) then it should make getting a high-quality replacement VERY easy for KD - for it appears Zips are a very quick road to the tip-top of the mountain - first we lose Shaka Smart to Florida and now we lose Boals to Columbus. That HAS to be mouth-watering for any up-and-coming young coach.
Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. Jim Tressel. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#27 Zip Watcher

Zip Watcher

One of the Porky's Seven

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Firstly, you guys sound as if without Coach Boals no recruits are going to want to come here. Doesn't Coach Dambrot recruit these kids and build relationships with them too? Would a head coach give that power to a single assistant coach? So much power that if that assistant coach should leave then the program falls apart like a house of cards? I'm not being smart, I'm asking for those "in the know" to let me know how college recruiting works. Why should it matter THAT much if we lose an assistant coach? Our head coach is still here - isn't that why most kids choose one program over another?Secondly, if Coach Boals does indeed bolt for Columbus State (I'm going to puke) then it should make getting a high-quality replacement VERY easy for KD - for it appears Zips are a very quick road to the tip-top of the mountain - first we lose Shaka Smart to Florida and now we lose Boals to Columbus. That HAS to be mouth-watering for any up-and-coming young coach.

Good points, both. I'm in agreement on both counts.This isn't a house of cards, and it's not coming down because of this. It simply matters because the assistants are the ones that forge the early relationships with some of the guys. KD can't possibly be involved in EVERY meeting with EVERY recruit, so the top 2 or 3 assistants are key to getting the ball rolling.This MAY hurt us with guys that JB has been starting with .. but on the court there should be no effect in 2009-10 as far as personnel, and hopefully minimal in 2010 if the Zips adapt quickly and keep moving.Remember that all of these top guys are hoping to play in the JAR at the end of the month, and will be traveling here to try and do so. That will continue to help.Your second point is a huge one also. We lost Shaka to Clemson, not Florida .. but it's 2 guys in a row that have jumped from UA's bench to BCS, without an A10 or MVC stop in the middle.Go Zips!!! B) B) B)
In case you missed it: The glory years for Zips hoops are NOW .. and they've just begun.

eZEKiEl 9, May 2008: And I will strike down upon thy shots with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to beat and outscore my brothers. And you will know my name is the Zeke when I lay my hands upon thy shot attempts!

#28 w00t

w00t

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Has anything been confirmed for sure by someone at UA, or is it still just hearsay at this point?

#29 GameChngr44

GameChngr44

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

Well...the rumors are TRUE!!! Coach Boals is leaving for Ohio State. He spoke with Zeke last night and Zeke is completely fine with it. I think that unlike the freshman players such as Humpty, Nickoli and the like who have established a deep, deep, and very close relationship with Boals; Zeke on the other hand, although he has and will keep a close friendship with Boals, did not have that "next level" relationship with him as a player/coach. Having said all of that let me say this...Zeke told Coach B that he completely understands the decision he made and that he is fine and that in his "humanity" although he hurts it doesnt mean that he (Zeke) is going to walk away for UA...so for any person who may be wondering...Zeke is here to stay!!!!I personally was very sadden at the news, although I completely understand and respect his decision..(because in the end he HAS to do what is best for him and his family) if the truth be told..it still doesnt take "the sting away" :cry: Zips basketball is going to thrive, prosper and be a force to be reckoned with both now and in the future so keep your heads held high ZipNation...lets say goodbye and good luck to Coach B and lets get ready for 09-10 season and another MAC Championship and NCAA Tourney run! Who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

#MomagerSwagg In Full Effect

#30 w00t

w00t

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

Well...the rumors are TRUE!!! Coach Boals is leaving for Ohio State. He spoke with Zeke last night and Zeke is completely fine with it. I think that unlike the freshman players such as Humpty, Nickoli and the like who have established a deep, deep, and very close relationship with Boals; Zeke on the other hand, although he has and will keep a close friendship with Boals, did not have that "next level" relationship with him as a player/coach. Having said all of that let me say this...Zeke told Coach B that he completely understands the decision he made and that he is fine and that in his "humanity" although he hurts it doesnt mean that he (Zeke) is going to walk away for UA...so for any person who may be wondering...Zeke is here to stay!!!!I personally was very sadden at the news, although I completely understand and respect his decision..(because in the end he HAS to do what is best for him and his family) if the truth be told..it still doesnt take "the sting away" :cry: Zips basketball is going to thrive, prosper and be a force to be reckoned with both now and in the future so keep your heads held high ZipNation...lets say goodbye and good luck to Coach B and lets get ready for 09-10 season and another MAC Championship and NCAA Tourney run! Who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Well there's some speedy confirmation... and despite how much of a bummer this is, I'm with you. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users