What I want to see...

xu9697

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. City and county support of the team. It would go a long way if the city made some gesture along the lines of "Akron declares the Zips the official D-1 collegiate program of Akron." Yes it's tacky but it proves the point that the community supports the school. 2. Make the Carrol St. and Buchtel St. bridges official gateways to the campus. A bit like the North Canton/Stark County Hall of Fame Bridge.3. Our own media outlets (Z 88) to actually carry the play by play on game day. I'm sorry it's a saturday and you are the University's station, carry coverage of the athletic events.4. Invite Jason Taylor and other successful players back as "honorary captains". Let them know we respect the fact that they helped get us to this point.5. Change the light pole banners on Exchange St from the current faded yellow and blue to more appropriate athletic's banners. 6. Game day signage and banners all across campus. Especially after the 3 weeks of away games. Don't let people forget.7. 6 commercials that air the night before each home game on ABC, CBS, FOX, & NBC during the evening news (prime time local spots are way to expensive).

2. Make the Carrol St. and Buchtel St. bridges official gateways to the campus. A bit like the North Canton/Stark County Hall of Fame Bridge.
EXACTLY! Thank you!I sure hope the athletic department is reading this. Every one of those ideas are awesome.

Anywho...how about a big banner of Chris Jacq in Public Square in downtown Cleveland?
God help us... :eek:
I have to laugh at that too.I'll say it again, after being around this football program for 30 years...It's simple.....Something BIG has to happen on the field. If not, we're trying to sell the general public on coming to games against MAC teams, which means nothing to most people.......and I still doubt if most of the casual area college football fans even know that we even play D-1A (I even personally know people who I have had to educate). Our recent bowl appearance is a plus. So is our recent wins over NC State and Syracuse. But in order for the Akron public to become REGULAR Akron football fans, even bigger things need to happen. Especially with the Suckeyes playing for national championships right down the road.

2. Make the Carrol St. and Buchtel St. bridges official gateways to the campus. A bit like the North Canton/Stark County Hall of Fame Bridge.
EXACTLY! Thank you!I sure hope the athletic department is reading this. Every one of those ideas are awesome.
Thanks, that particular one would require state money to make the bridges grand entrances, but it only makes sense for the University, City and State. Redo the facade of the bridges into the red brick as seen all over campus, and have a steel and glass covering with the University seal in the middle panel and the Athletic departments A-Roo on each side. Give the school the ability to change out two panels on each bridge for top student athlete recognition or to promote an upcoming game etc.

I think you still have to promote your "stars" on the team. NBA/NFL marketing = success NHL marketing = failure.60-foot tall Dan LeFevour banner idea is awesome. If we had Dan, that would be PERFECT!Remember the ten story Joey Harrington banner in times square? Great marketing.

4. Invite Jason Taylor and other successful players back as "honorary captains". Let them know we respect the fact that they helped get us to this point.
Excellent idea. Tough sometimes with NFL schedules, but Taylor, Frye, Hixon would be a nice start.I know this is not the place for it, but here goes: there is room for both Akron and Ohio State!!! Think not? I will use Cincinnati (again) as an example. Plenty of Buckeye fans down there who also support UC. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It is one of the great beauties of college athletics..you can like different teams for different reasons. For example, my Dad went to BC and played football there= I am a BC fan (plus the city is great). I grew up an OSU fan, have family that have gone there, etc. and so I remain a fan. I went to Xavier, so I am a Xavier fan. And, since moving back to Cleveland area in 2001, I have grown into a very diligent Akron fan (both of the school, the sports and the city).So, forget about worrying about OSU when marketing Akron. It can be done. I don't want to break out into the "in this economy" crap, but I can go see good high quality Division I football 6 times this year, 1 hour away for the grand total of $175+ gas. That is 4 tickets for each game ($150 family package) and a parking pass ($25). And NO, this is not the only reason I go. But, this can definitely be attractive for others.I already will be bringing an ND grad, a Can't grad and my mother & step-father who usually travel to 1 OSU game per year with us. No OSU game for any of us this year..that alone would cost me $175 for 2 tickets.So bring on the Chris Jacq billboard (he is a Cleveland area kid, and I believe he will have a great season) on Public Square or Playhouse Square or near Progressive/Q!!!

So bring on the Chris Jacq billboard (he is a Cleveland area kid, and I believe he will have a great season) on Public Square or Playhouse Square or near Progressive/Q!!!
I'm starting to see your angle...maybe we could add a catchy marketing line like:"Browns Fans - If you liked Ken Dorsey, you'll love this guy!" Or maybe "Jacquemaine for Heisemaine"?Or "The Best QB in the MAC...Until the 4th Quarter"Or - "Not Walt Harris' Fault"If you don't like slogans, just make certain to have a giant Matt Rodgers Fat Head ready by about week #5.No way you pin your marketing hopes on Jacquemaine. That's like basing your retirement on winning the Power Ball.

I like all the ideas that have been brought up. I think it would be cool to have a big kangaroo statue in front of the stadium. Have Drum Studies design it since they are only a couple blocks from campus. When Akron played NC State, they had a really neat rock formation with a pack of wolves. Each wolf meant something like "courage", "loyalty" etc. It doesn't have to be a group of kangaroos (that would be awesome), but I just thought something like that would be neat to have. Some teams also touch something before they enter the field. Clemson touches a rock, Michigan touches their banner, ND touches a sign with a saying as they go out. There's a lot of traditions that can be started. The team does come down a ramp/maze since they'll come from the field house. Found that out from the tour of the stadium. I am excited for the start of the Info era.

Count me in on the giant Kangaroo bandwagon!! And good point about the start of new traditions...this season cannot start soon enough. B)

I like all the ideas that have been brought up. I think it would be cool to have a big kangaroo statue in front of the stadium. Have Drum Studies design it since they are only a couple blocks from campus. When Akron played NC State, they had a really neat rock formation with a pack of wolves. Each wolf meant something like "courage", "loyalty" etc. It doesn't have to be a group of kangaroos (that would be awesome), but I just thought something like that would be neat to have. Some teams also touch something before they enter the field. Clemson touches a rock, Michigan touches their banner, ND touches a sign with a saying as they go out. There's a lot of traditions that can be started. The team does come down a ramp/maze since they'll come from the field house. Found that out from the tour of the stadium. I am excited for the start of the Info era.

1. I would love for the U to get as much mileage as legally possible out of the Coach John Heisman connection. Seriously, that is serious name recognition that our program can benefit from. 2. The fact that our school is so close in proximity to the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the great great football heritage in NE Ohio is another unique angle that is worth exploring. 3. We have four months to start "manufacturing" the "Tradition of Akron Football." I want to see ample room in and around the Info for: *Tons of Framed black and white photographs *Old uniforms displayed*Nonstop well produced video highlight reels on tons of monitors throughout the stadium*Noteworthy players and coaches profiled in a highly visible monument area alongside the field house*Kangaroo sculptures EVERYWHERE...lets give the art students free reign to be creative.Perception is reality. We may not have a winning history, but heck, it IS a LONG history. And there is plenty to be proud of here. And oh yeah....JACQUEMAINE FOR HEISEMAINE. :wave:

Count me in on the giant Kangaroo bandwagon!! And good point about the start of new traditions...this season cannot start soon enough. B)
I'd love to see a big kangaroo on top of the scoreboard, like the bronco in denver!!! or have 2 on either side of the players entrance! that would be freaking awesome. Anyone up for going to McDonalds and stealing that one for the stadium??? hahaPut 2 roos on either side, have smoke machines and have the team run out in between them behind the cheerleaders running with the gold A-K-R-O-N flags. We need to get some sweet intro videos like they have for the basketball games. I think something like texas has would be cool.
I know its kinda cheesy but we can use something like that but show like kangaroos running around akron and make it a lot cooler! I mean look at how sweet the new stadium site is, get those guys to make a kick a** into videoWe could even do something like the cavs?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIaNj5Mvmsget the MVP to be in our vid too!

I like the John Heisman connection, especially the part where he coached UA (then Buchtel College) to a 12-6 victory over Ohio State during the 1893-4 season.
How about the following slogan.........."Only 116 years since our last victory over THE Ohio State University."

So bring on the Chris Jacq billboard (he is a Cleveland area kid, and I believe he will have a great season) on Public Square or Playhouse Square or near Progressive/Q!!!
I'm starting to see your angle...maybe we could add a catchy marketing line like:"Browns Fans - If you liked Ken Dorsey, you'll love this guy!" Or maybe "Jacquemaine for Heisemaine"?Or "The Best QB in the MAC...Until the 4th Quarter"Or - "Not Walt Harris' Fault"If you don't like slogans, just make certain to have a giant Matt Rodgers Fat Head ready by about week #5.No way you pin your marketing hopes on Jacquemaine. That's like basing your retirement on winning the Power Ball.
wow, thats tough..thought i was critical...nothing like winning i guess..

Well done! The funniest post on here in quite some time! NICE!

Comments about Chris Jacq aside, I did find the perfect spot in downtown Cleveland for the Akron billboard. East 9th & Prospect, across from Panini's, Winking Lizard, The Clevelander, etc. Side of a parking garage attached to the Ameritrust building (wish I had a camera while walking yesterday). Perfect spot for the banner!!! Banner= season schedule, ticket information, Chris Jacq, Bowser and Sewell. Better?

Comments about Chris Jacq aside, I did find the perfect spot in downtown Cleveland for the Akron billboard. East 9th & Prospect, across from Panini's, Winking Lizard, The Clevelander, etc. Side of a parking garage attached to the Ameritrust building (wish I had a camera while walking yesterday). Perfect spot for the banner!!! Banner= season schedule, ticket information, Chris Jacq, Bowser and Sewell. Better?
They way some of these people are, the banner should read..."Zips...Where apathy happens."

Banner= season schedule, ticket information, Chris Jacq, Bowser and Sewell. Better?
I like it. Remember the basketball magnet schedule/poster that had Wood, Dru and Romeo on it? It was done in the image of the Fantastic Four? Something cool like that.

Banner= season schedule, ticket information, Chris Jacq, Bowser and Sewell. Better?
I like it. Remember the basketball magnet schedule/poster that had Wood, Dru and Romeo on it? It was done in the image of the Fantastic Four? Something cool like that.
That one still is on the fridge. It was very well done. So, we know there is potenial there!!!

Ok so I just went home to Erie, PA yesterday for the summer and I saw a Can't state billboard on one of our busiest streets. i mean you have to be kidding me, It wasn't for football or anything sports related, but I got a quick glance and I saw the Can't logo with the sun?!? IDK if anyone knows what i'm talking about. So idk why they got the nerve to put that up, but it ruined my day. I mean I was pumped when I saw the ad for UA at the Q near the upper deck, but in my hometown 2hrs away I still have to see sh*t for Can't??? I want to know how much an ad would run, not saying I could afford it, but I would LOVE to put an UA one there, and then one for football on the billboard above it!!

So how much do you think it would take to put a UA athletic banner put on the Can't State Urban Institute building on that corner?
It would be too much taking into account how much billboard advertising returns.Here is a better idea. Take half the money they spend on billboards and flush it down the toilet. Take the other half and spend it on scholarships for students. No matter what, half of the money will be spent wisely in lieu of ALL the money being flushed down the toilet on billboards.