What I want to see...

xu9697

1) Where in the world is Coleman Commons? I've haven't been a student now in well over 2 decades, so please educate me.
Coleman Commons
Hineygate:http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/sto...nn.html?sid=102I have since read a more recent article (could not find quicky) that said it was over.Yes, no doubt that Akron has challenges. Miami, OH and Ohio U, as examples, should be places that are awesome for college football...and they rarely if ever are. But I still look at UC and even Syracuse (as bad as they have been) for gameday atmosphere in cities/areas that are SOMEWHAT similar to Akron.The new, on-campus stadium is the key. Do it right right away, make it a destination and hope that the team does well and the program grows.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hineygate, and similar other events, to me, suck. It is just a bunch of yahoos drinking giant cups of cheap beep while listening to 110 decibel music.Those are the ass-clowns that give legit tailgaters a bad name. They're the ones you see on the evening news burning stuff and vomiting on the curb.

Hineygate, and similar other events, to me, suck. It is just a bunch of yahoos drinking giant cups of cheap beep while listening to 110 decibel music.Those are the ass-clowns that give legit tailgaters a bad name. They're the ones you see on the evening news burning stuff and vomiting on the curb.
I have never attended Hineygate AFTER a game...always before. And, very little of what you described has ever been my experience before the game.

I have never attended Hineygate AFTER a game...always before. And, very little of what you described has ever been my experience before the game.
Before or after is irrelevant. It is a mob of people with loud music and big cups of beer. And that's fine...Rockin' on the River has used that same combination to draw mobs to Cuyahoga Falls for 20+ years. It works. But there are drawbacks too. As long as the yahoos who come to the UA for no other reason than to get plastered @ "Old Milwaukee-gate" don't affect me, I'm cool with them.

Before or after is irrelevant. It is a mob of people with loud music and big cups of beer. And that's fine...Rockin' on the River has used that same combination to draw mobs to Cuyahoga Falls for 20+ years. It works. But there are drawbacks too. As long as the yahoos who come to the UA for no other reason than to get plastered @ "Old Milwaukee-gate" don't affect me, I'm cool with them.
Not to get in a slap fest here, but..It is most certainly NOT irrelevant. Yes, it is cups of beer and music. But there has never been a burning couch at Hineygate BEFORE a game, nor have I ever seen anyone vomit BEFORE a game. It may be WAY too many people and WAY overpriced beers, but the atmosphere at Hineygate is nothing but fun, and, NOT out of control. If Akron can replicate it on some scale, folks would be more than happy.Now, with all that said, Akron can draw from what others have done and build their own traditions. And, I would say it is 1,000 times more important to have family friendly and student involved cookouts on Coleman Commons vs. any sort of Hineygate.

I'd prefer Schaefer-gate or Weidemann-gate....It'll make me feel young again. I'll be honest. As a partier myself, I walked by the often-talked-about Hiney-gate while attending the OSWho/Akron football game two years ago. I took a look around, and really didn't see any reason to go in. It looked to me like it was just beer and music...the same thing that was going everywhere else. Plus, our group of Zips fans had already taken enough verbal jabs from the Suckeye fans on the walk towards the stadium already, and I wasn't really in the mood for more of the same from a bunch of drunk southern Ohio morons.

It is most certainly NOT irrelevant. Yes, it is cups of beer and music. But there has never been a burning couch at Hineygate BEFORE a game, nor have I ever seen anyone vomit BEFORE a game. It may be WAY too many people and WAY overpriced beers, but the atmosphere at Hineygate is nothing but fun.
I don't agree with you.
I'll be honest. As a partier myself, I walked by the often-talked-about Hiney-gate while attending the OSWho/Akron football game two years ago. I took a look around, and really didn't see any reason to go in. It looked to me like it was just beer and music...the same thing that was going everywhere else. Plus, our group of Zips fans had already taken enough verbal jabs from the Suckeye fans on the walk towards the stadium already, and I wasn't really in the mood for more of the same from a bunch of drunk southern Ohio morons.
I agree with you.

It is most certainly NOT irrelevant. Yes, it is cups of beer and music. But there has never been a burning couch at Hineygate BEFORE a game, nor have I ever seen anyone vomit BEFORE a game. It may be WAY too many people and WAY overpriced beers, but the atmosphere at Hineygate is nothing but fun.
I don't agree with you.
I'll be honest. As a partier myself, I walked by the often-talked-about Hiney-gate while attending the OSWho/Akron football game two years ago. I took a look around, and really didn't see any reason to go in. It looked to me like it was just beer and music...the same thing that was going everywhere else. Plus, our group of Zips fans had already taken enough verbal jabs from the Suckeye fans on the walk towards the stadium already, and I wasn't really in the mood for more of the same from a bunch of drunk southern Ohio morons.
I agree with you.
Sounds like the typical sour grape, jealous, hate OSU stuff that gets so old on this board. Too bad it has come to that...again.

..... Now, with all that said, Akron can draw from what others have done and build their own traditions. And, I would say it is 1,000 times more important to have family friendly and student involved cookouts on Coleman Commons vs. any sort of Hineygate.
Amen. A family friendly environment will encourage parents to bring their children. Those children are candidates to become lifelong Zips fans who will one day bring their children. That's one way to slowly build a large, loyal fan base.I love the taste of good beer. I savor at least one bottle every day, often more. But I'm also responsible. I don't get sloppy drunk and start cussing in front of women and children. Families and beer can coexist. Heck, in Germany, beer is an integral part of the family experience. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing it. Let's just be sure we get it right for UA.

Sounds like the typical sour grape, jealous, hate OSU stuff that gets so old on this board. Too bad it has come to that...again.
If you are a paranoid OSU fan, that's probably what it looks like. If you're an objective observer, it probably just looks like a Zips fan who's concerned that a poorly organized beer-fest could ruin tailgating for the 99.5% of the responsible, beer-drinking people looking to enjoy a college football game day.*sigh*...when will OSU fan quit viewing everything as an affront to his true love...never, I guess...Howard Hughes was certain about those germs too...

If you are a paranoid OSU fan, that's probably what it looks like. If you're an objective observer, it probably just looks like a Zips fan who's concerned that a poorly organized beer-fest could ruin tailgating for the 99.5% of the responsible, beer-drinking people looking to enjoy a college football game day.*sigh*...when will OSU fan quit viewing everything as an affront to his true love...never, I guess...Howard Hughes was certain about those germs too...
Yes, I am admittedly a fan of both. What would an OSU fan be "paranoid" about when it comes to Akron? I mean, c'mon...let's keep the necessary separation here. I'm simply stating that the going ons that you mention at Hineygate do not happen before a game. What I typically see is 50+ year old fans hanging out and listening to that older group/band that isn't that good (improvement there would be great). I've been there once per year over the last 10-12 years and have never seen "burning couches" that you mention. Just a WELL ORGANIZED event with food, beer, large TVs, less-than-great band and a bunch of people having good, clean fun.In the end, we won't ever agree on this. I think your full of it, you think I'm full of it. Slap fest continues...

..... Now, with all that said, Akron can draw from what others have done and build their own traditions. And, I would say it is 1,000 times more important to have family friendly and student involved cookouts on Coleman Commons vs. any sort of Hineygate.
Amen. A family friendly environment will encourage parents to bring their children. Those children are candidates to become lifelong Zips fans who will one day bring their children. That's one way to slowly build a large, loyal fan base.I love the taste of good beer. I savor at least one bottle every day, often more. But I'm also responsible. I don't get sloppy drunk and start cussing in front of women and children. Families and beer can coexist. Heck, in Germany, beer is an integral part of the family experience. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing it. Let's just be sure we get it right for UA.
The fact of the matter is that the MAC's best chance to gain improved attendance is to make events affordable family fun. And, of course, get better opponents and win games. Now, I'm lucky in that I will probably bring the kids once or twice and do the "family man" thing, and then leave the kids home with family and come the other 3-4 times and act like I did in my college days...well-behaved, just a bit drunk. Can't wait for the season to begin!!!You speak of beer and families mixing..that is typical at a baseball game (say, Indians or Aeros), but not typical at all at a Browns game. My 4+ college football games per year over the last 15 years or so typically have taught me that when it gets a little dicey at a college game, it unfortunately is the 19-22 year olds that are drunk out of their mind that cause the problems. Though not enjoyed, still better than seeing the drunk 30-50 year old idiots at my beloved Browns games (where I can't imagine ever taking my kids to).

I don't agree with you.
I agree with you.
Come on. I even know die-hard Buckeye fans who readily admit that the yahoos from the sticks of Southern Ohio who invade Cowlumbus every weekend create a lot of problems, add fuel to the flames, and are flat-out rude to visiting fans. I've heard too many accounts of incidents to even start to mention them here. But as one example...remember....they had to tear-gas all of those idiots a few years ago to get them off the field after a Michigan game.

What I want to see and hear This is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 15th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.ABJ HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 6, 2009 THE ZIPS” – THE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN The usual roar of Joe Paterno’s Lions was quickly and most decidedly squelched as the 2nd half of the long-awaited season opener got underway against the visiting “CUPCAKES” of The University of Akron. Under the tutelage of JD Brookahart, the fearless ZIPS put a major hurt on the highly touted Nittany Lions as the Zips unleashed a can-o-whoop ass culminating in a stunning come-from-behind upset over Penn State. Yes folks, the streets and pubs of downtown Akron were overflowing well into the night with a raucously exuberant contingent of ZIPS faithful celebrating what will surely be long-remembered by college football fans everywhere. Down 10/0 at halftime, the Zips spirit and toughness was put through the ringer. Down, but Never Out, The Zips quickly came back like a thunderous roar and played like monster-sized/hearted Roos crushing the beaten-up & down Nittany Lions. Final score: University of Akron 35, Penn State 24.Afterwards Afterwards no one was singled out for accolades but the ecstatic JD Brookhart as he praised his team for their fight and touhness. Mobed by players and fans JD could take littel time to comment about this historical win except to thank his coaches for the great preparation they delivered, and thanking his players for playing like he new they could.THAT is what i want to see. Who's with me? Can i get a "Beat Penn's State's Ass" :rock::champs::cheers:

What I want to see and hear This is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 15th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.
I'm right there with you (and as a matter of fact if you go to the game, I will literally be right there with you), but I really hope they decide to have all that spit and fire on the 5th of September, and not wait until the 15th. :D

I don't agree with you.
I agree with you.
Come on. I even know die-hard Buckeye fans who readily admit that the yahoos from the sticks of Southern Ohio who invade Cowlumbus every weekend create a lot of problems, add fuel to the flames, and are flat-out rude to visiting fans. I've heard too many accounts of incidents to even start to mention them here. But as one example...remember....they had to tear-gas all of those idiots a few years ago to get them off the field after a Michigan game.
I was not commenting on the whole entire area or scene. I was commenting on one location BEFORE games.

What I want to see and hearThis is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 15th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.
I'm right there with you (and as a matter of fact if you go to the game, I will literally be right there with you), but I really hope they decide to have all that spit and fire on the 5th of September, and not wait until the 15th. :D
I know. My bad. In my haste to get it all down (under the watchful eye of my boss) I did make a few typos. But "No Fear" I KNOW we can do it. Penn State is our B....! :champs::cheers:

What I want to see and hearThis is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 15th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.
I know. My bad. In my haste to get it all down (under the watchful eye of my boss) I did make a few typos. But "No Fear" I KNOW we can do it. Penn State is our B....! :champs::cheers:
I sure hope Phil has at least as much enthusiasm for the game as his Uncle! Great hearing from you again, drealscout1 :) Your description of the game is surely enjoyable to read. And you even got away from calling the Nittany Lions "Penn" on your 2nd post :D Keep it coming! How's Phil doing, by the way? Hope he's fit as a fiddle.