Penn State game

ZachTheZip

Assuming of course certain pieces work out the way we all want. (Bain, Henderson, Sewell, Tonga, Hazime, Lemon)
The running game will be a big factor. Everybody was hurt during the spring, but most of it looked minor and they were held out as a precaution. Alex Allen should have a big day. He has to be ready to go wild after last year.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confidence is contagious. The players reading this (I know you do), know that we as fans are confident in you. I know that you have the ability to beat Penn State or any team in the country if you play to the best of your abilities. Anybody on the team who thinks other wise is a loser with a loser attitude. Don't just go out there to try to win, go out there to actually win. I know you can do it, but I can't play the game for you.

You're reminding me of the OSU game where we trailed 3-2 at the half. I don't think the coaches had a strategy to win that game, the offense was just so conservative it was too safe. But now I think our coaches and our team has come a long way since that game. I think our offense will do what it takes to put up points and surprise PSU and their fans. The Zippers can certainly win this game.

Confidence is contagious. The players reading this (I know you do), know that we as fans are confident in you. I know that you have the ability to beat Penn State or any team in the country if you play to the best of your abilities. Anybody on the team who thinks other wise is a loser with a loser attitude. Don't just go out there to try to win, go out there to actually win. I know you can do it, but I can't play the game for you.

You're reminding me of the OSU game where we trailed 3-2 at the half. I don't think the coaches had a strategy to win that game, the offense was just so conservative it was too safe. But now I think our coaches and our team has come a long way since that game. I think our offense will do what it takes to put up points and surprise PSU and their fans. The Zippers can certainly win this game.
People always underestimate the power of confidence, When you go into a game thinking lets just keep it respectable or close...you get blown out. When you go into a game thinking this is my chance to show the country what I got, you end up beating teams like NCState and Syracuse. Remember Zips your D1 athletes just like them.

When PSU lost to Toledo in 2001, their final record was 5-7. Just to let you know.
Thanks for stopping by, Vikings fan, and good luck to Portland State in the Big Sky this year :wave: Seriously, psu1, we don't get many visitors from BCS conferences here on our modest MAC message board. But you are welcome to stop by any time.Go Zips!!!

I think JD learned a valuable lesson in that game. The team played with more than enough heart to win it, but the coaches were expecting to show up, get beat up, and collect the paycheck. I don't think he'll make that mistake again.Also, Here's a nice, relatively civilized conversation on Sportsline comparing the two teams, with lots of information being shared.

Hi, Akron fans! I appreciate being able to read and comment on your site. I try not to be a homer, but present realistic facts and figures to back up my opinions. I have followed CFB in general and the Nittany Lions in particular since 1968, so have a little knowledge of their program.My goal is to discuss, not mock or disparage. I appreciate the same courtesy. If you feel I have crossed the line, let's discuss rationally. Deal?First, let me stress that I admire your enthusiasm. As one of you wrote, if you go to a game thinking you will be beat, odds are great that will happen. Keep rooting for your team, with confidence and flair!Second, tho, let me add that I think Akron COULD probably beat Penn. Although the Quakers are 28 - 22 since the 2004 season, the level of competition in the Ivy League is way down from the glory years of the early 20th century.Oh, wait a second: You guys were talking about beating Penn STATE? Hmmm . . . . I think you will find that somewhat more problematic. The Lions are 40 - 10 over the last four seasons, and play in a conference that, while not to SEC standards, is still probably the second or third toughest D-1 conference. Yes, Penn STATE lost its defensive secondary, a large part of the offensive line, etc., etc. from last season, but there are many indicators they have reloaded at most positions. For example, Aaron Maybin is gone (did you know he started the 2008 season as the THIRD-string DE?); Jack Crawford appears to be ready to step in and succeed at that position. Yes, the three best receivers in the school's history are also gone; however, some of the current players -- Zug, Brackett, Powell, Moye -- have significant playing experience. And, Clark has a full year of experience in running the team.Back to the defensive side: Again, most of Penn State's secondary is gone. If you read more of Penn State background at CBSSports and other places, you will have seen that many fans see this year's secondary as "addition by subtraction", as many of us felt the DBs were the weakest part of the D. There are some players with game experience -- Astorino and Wallace come to mind -- and the "new" players are by-and-large bigger than those who left. Their additional size and skill may make up for game experience.Given the Lions' rebuilt offensive line and out of respect for what appears to be a high-powered Zip offense, I fully expect Penn State's offensive scheme to be pretty vanilla. Lots of Royster and Green coming out of the backfield, looking to exploit the 3-3-5 defense. They have the speed and skill to break loose some long runs, esp. on the outside.Finally, let's not forget the bench depth. Both teams play in the same geographic area -- early September in Happy Valley is obviously not like playing in the Swamp. But, given that is the first game of the season, I expect to see Penn State play a lot of kids, if for no other reason than to keep legs fresh. Not sure Akron has the bench to offset that apparent Penn State advantage.Someone quoted the 2000 Toledo-PSU game. Fair enough to mention that game, but probably also fair to mention that (1) Akron is 1 - 18 all-time against the Big10(11). (2) They are 12 - 21 on the road. (3) Two of those losses came against Penn State, by a combined score of 82 - 26.As I mentioned in the CBSSports thread cited above, the Zip offense is probably the kind of O that can beat Penn State, so I am not suggesting the Zips have no chance to win. As a Penn State fan, I obviously believe Akron will not gain the victory, altho I fully expect this to be a good game.Again, many thanks for letting me drop in. The BigTen Network obviously believes this game will be exciting, as they have already announced they will carry it. Good luck in this game and in your entire season!84

Hi, Akron fans! I appreciate being able to read and comment on your site. I try not to be a homer, but present realistic facts and figures to back up my opinions. I have followed CFB in general and the Nittany Lions in particular since 1968, so have a little knowledge of their program.My goal is to discuss, not mock or disparage. I appreciate the same courtesy. If you feel I have crossed the line, let's discuss rationally. Deal?First, let me stress that I admire your enthusiasm. As one of you wrote, if you go to a game thinking you will be beat, odds are great that will happen. Keep rooting for your team, with confidence and flair!Second, tho, let me add that I think Akron COULD probably beat Penn. Although the Quakers are 28 - 22 since the 2004 season, the level of competition in the Ivy League is way down from the glory years of the early 20th century.Oh, wait a second: You guys were talking about beating Penn STATE? Hmmm . . . . I think you will find that somewhat more problematic. The Lions are 40 - 10 over the last four seasons, and play in a conference that, while not to SEC standards, is still probably the second or third toughest D-1 conference. Yes, Penn STATE lost its defensive secondary, a large part of the offensive line, etc., etc. from last season, but there are many indicators they have reloaded at most positions. For example, Aaron Maybin is gone (did you know he started the 2008 season as the THIRD-string DE?); Jack Crawford appears to be ready to step in and succeed at that position. Yes, the three best receivers in the school's history are also gone; however, some of the current players -- Zug, Brackett, Powell, Moye -- have significant playing experience. And, Clark has a full year of experience in running the team.Back to the defensive side: Again, most of Penn State's secondary is gone. If you read more of Penn State background at CBSSports and other places, you will have seen that many fans see this year's secondary as "addition by subtraction", as many of us felt the DBs were the weakest part of the D. There are some players with game experience -- Astorino and Wallace come to mind -- and the "new" players are by-and-large bigger than those who left. Their additional size and skill may make up for game experience.Given the Lions' rebuilt offensive line and out of respect for what appears to be a high-powered Zip offense, I fully expect Penn State's offensive scheme to be pretty vanilla. Lots of Royster and Green coming out of the backfield, looking to exploit the 3-3-5 defense. They have the speed and skill to break loose some long runs, esp. on the outside.Finally, let's not forget the bench depth. Both teams play in the same geographic area -- early September in Happy Valley is obviously not like playing in the Swamp. But, given that is the first game of the season, I expect to see Penn State play a lot of kids, if for no other reason than to keep legs fresh. Not sure Akron has the bench to offset that apparent Penn State advantage.Someone quoted the 2000 Toledo-PSU game. Fair enough to mention that game, but probably also fair to mention that (1) Akron is 1 - 18 all-time against the Big10(11). (2) They are 12 - 21 on the road. (3) Two of those losses came against Penn State, by a combined score of 82 - 26.As I mentioned in the CBSSports thread cited above, the Zip offense is probably the kind of O that can beat Penn State, so I am not suggesting the Zips have no chance to win. As a Penn State fan, I obviously believe Akron will not gain the victory, altho I fully expect this to be a good game.Again, many thanks for letting me drop in. The BigTen Network obviously believes this game will be exciting, as they have already announced they will carry it. Good luck in this game and in your entire season!84
Welcome 84 :wave: If that number signifies a graduation class, then I am from the same vintage (the difference being UA variety, of course). I'm also a native Pennsylvanian, who became a college football fanatic even prior to being a Zip follower when I first came to school here. If you can fondly recall the days of ABC college football on a leaf-blown, fall Saturday afternoon, culminated by the incomparable Prudential College Football Scoreboard (Ohio U grad Dave Dials running the show), then we have common ground indeed. In the interest of full disclosure, however, I must mention that there was another team in Pennsylvania that caught my fancy at an early age and I was fortunate to have experienced several of their home games in the National Championshop year of 1976. I wound up taking a slightly unusual path towards a pursuit in engineering, deciding that I'd be better off a few hours from home in Akron as opposed to being a "commuter". I haven't regretted my decision in the least.But we were supposed to be talking about the UA-PSU game. I am glad to see that you will at least offer that there is a "chance" Akron could pull off the upset. It seems as though quite a few of your fellow PSU fans do not share this opinion. Note, when I say "chance" I am not assigning any particular probability. I think it's been a little misunderstood, that when some of us Zip fans think we have a "chance" in this game that it somehow follows that we "expect" to win. I doubt there are many Zip fans who would say the probability of a Zip victory is 0.5 or above (of course, it's the coaches job to make sure that the PLAYERS believe this however). On the other hand, I don't think you'd find many Zip fans who would put the probability at 0.0, where it seems some of the PSU fans think it should be. Most of us are fully aware of the task at hand. Penn State is a powerful program (you had the decency to leave out the 70-24 debacle in 1999.......you could have said THREE of Akron's Big-10 losses were to PSU by a combined 152-40) and it will take exceptional effort and execution on the part of the Zips to make this a game, and it will most likely take a sub-par performance by the Lions to put the upset within reach. For everyone's sake, I hope the Zips play well and if the Nittany Lions still manage to win the game handily, then you'll get nothing but congratulations from me.BTW, while the Big-10 is obviously significantly stronger than the MAC, I'd still take the Big-12 or PAC-10 over the Big-10 a this point. It's just an opinion.Edit: After thinking about it, I've decided the PAC-10 and Big-10 are about equal. But neither is up to the SEC or Bg 12.

I fully expect Penn State's offensive scheme to be pretty vanilla. Lots of Royster and Green coming out of the backfield, looking to exploit the 3-3-5 defense.
I expect the same, IF the Zips can stop the run early, I would hope to make a game out of it.

I was wondering if any of our Penn St visitors could help us with one of the original questions brought up in this thread. That is, how much is Akron getting for this game? The only figure ($800,000) I can find is based purely on conjecture (link). I know Florida Atlantic got that figure recently. If anyone can confirm or deny, please do.Link (scroll a little past half way)

I don’t know why we have suddenly seemed to bastardize our rhetoric to gentlemanly standards with our conversations with the PSU fans (Lions 84 et al) on this board and the others (Sporstline, ESPN). Everyone knows that 1. Football is not a gentleman’s game; and 2. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the faithful fans among us know that PSU is our B…ch.! We don’t need to apologize or temper our enthusiasm or belittle our “chances”. Our ZIPS are notpretty confident”. The are pretty f….in Monsterly Confident.!!! The 2009 Zips are for real and will beat Penn State this year. After we get through with them, the Nittany Lion’s going to look more like the cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. (hehe)! It’s gonna be just like last year’s Rose Bowl for the Lions (a close game but no cigar!) GO ZIPS!!!!!! :rock::gun:

Hey JohnnyZip84! Yep, guilty as charged -- 1984 is my graduation year from Penn State. Probably have you by a couple years as I served in the Army for four years prior to attending State. Matter of fact, I was Army basic training, followed by Infantry School, then went to the Basic Airborne Course during the 1976 CFB season, so I thankfully missed Dorsett and Pitt running rampant.Here's how I see Akron pulling off the upset: Given the inexperience of our defensive secondary and the power of the Zip passing game, the Zips should come out throwing some intermediate passes -- we tend to play a Cover 2, and our DBs give receivers an 8 - 10 yard cushion. If successful, that may force the Lion LB's to drop off to provide some additional pass coverage. That in turn might open up the Akron running game. The right mix of running and passing should move the ball, scoring points AND keeping the PSU offense off the field.On defense (and I have seen reports Akron uses a 3-3 or a 3-4), the Zips will probably have to gamble somewhat. Lots of stunts, blitzes, etc. to confuse the Lions' inexperienced offensive line. I don't think Clark will get rattled, but he might could be forced to rely more on his own legs -- the Zip defense could dial in on him. That could hold down the Lions' offensive movement/scoring.Can't argue with your evaluation of the Big10(11) vis-a-vis other conferences. Wish it were stronger, but things tend to run in cycles. I hope by the time the Big10(11) returns as the premiere CFB conference that Penn State will continue to be at or near the top of it.A pleasure talking with you, sir!84

DReal, it's probably not really my place to lecture you since I am a guest on your site, but I would like to respond to your post if I may. Part of the answer to your rant may be that folks such as JohnnyZip and me may have enough age/miles on us that we realize, as you pointed out, football is not a gentleman's sport, but it is a SPORT. There are many other things in life that are much more serious. I buried my 82-year-old Dad -- he and my Mom had celebrated 60 years of marriage in November -- on 4 Jan of this year; do you think I really cared about the Rose Bowl at that point?Following the Army schools I just outlined, I went on to attend and graduate from the Special Forces Qualification Course (some people better recognize Special Forces by our headgear -- the Green Beret) and then spent three years on active duty A-teams. Later I was in a Special Forces National Guard unit for Desert Storm I. Worked in Iraq for fifteen months from March 2006 - May 2007 as an analyst with the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction. My trailer in Baghdad was in the Riverside camp -- so called because it abutted the river. I could lie in my cot and hear the car bombs going off in other parts of Baghdad. After awhile, I found myself holding my breath after the first one -- the bad guys would set one off, then wait until people rushed to help before setting off a second, more powerful one.If I was guilty of asking any Zip fan to temper his/her enthusiasm or apologize for supporting his/her team, I apologize. To be more succinct: Can Akron beat Penn State? Sure. WILL it happen? Personally, I don't think you will get good odds on that scenario. Still, I wish the Zips all the best. I have been dismissive of Penn State's OOC schedule this year; the more I read about the Zips, the better I feel they will give the Lions a good game.Good day to you.P.S. Johnny, not sure what the payout to Akron is; will try to find out and post here or on the CBS site.

I think it is 500,000, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks for the input, PSU1. I was going to post on the CBSSports site -- somebody probably knows the exact number . . . .
That sounds low to me. I realize that each contract situation is different, but I think we got $650,000 from Wisconsin last year.

I think it is 500,000, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks for the input, PSU1. I was going to post on the CBSSports site -- somebody probably knows the exact number . . . .
That sounds low to me. I realize that each contract situation is different, but I think we got $650,000 from Wisconsin last year.
I was thinking the same thing. Wisconsin was $650k for a contract that was made quite a few years in advance. This game is a last-minute addition to the schedule, so I imagine the going rate should be a bit higher.