Penn State game

ZachTheZip

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about money, what is the cheapest way to get tickets for a current akron student to the game? should I just go through the akron ticket office?
I'd guess you could get scalped tickets on game day for less than face value ...psu fan interest in attending won't be that high for the lowly akron zips.

All this talk about money, what is the cheapest way to get tickets for a current akron student to the game? should I just go through the akron ticket office?
Want to sit with Akron fans? Buy through the ticket office (should have the tickets available by Friday).Want to sit in the best seats? Yeah, go the scalper route and wait to buy until about 11:59 a.m. on that day.

If Akron wins this game, Bobby Bowden might end up with more all time wins than Joe Pa. We could go down in the history books :)
That's funny, UA Fan! Right now, without the forfeits, JoePa is up on Bobby by one game. Even if you guys beat us, I think Penn State will recover enough to win more games than FSU for the rest of 2009. FSU owes Jimbo $5M if he is not coach "by" 2010 (not sure if "by" 2010 means 1 Jan or beginning of spring training or . . . . ). I don't know if FSU will part with that kind of cash just so BB can linger. Joe sure doesn't talk about retiring, and Penn State has not anointed a head coach in waiting. (My pick would be Larry Johnson.)Don't all you Zip fans run up all the prices on the scalped tix. This is my 25th anniversary of my grad year -- I am getting the urge to walk the auld sod again, but don't want to spend my sons' tuition to do so.Am enjoying the conversation with you guys -- looking forward to it heating up as we get closer to 5 Sep.Lions_84 (using the "Lions" part to avoid confusion with JohnnyZip84 -- great minds think alike!)

Want to sit with Akron fans? Buy through the ticket office (should have the tickets available by Friday).Want to sit in the best seats? Yeah, go the scalper route and wait to buy until about 11:59 a.m. on that day.
I stopped by the ticket office today to double check time available and prices... They will only sell tickets for the Penn game to current season ticket holders. No students, alumni, etc. Everyone who is not a Zips season ticket holder has to go through the normal channels (ticketmaster, scalper, etc). Way to support your fans (and students) UA!

If Akron wins this game, Bobby Bowden might end up with more all time wins than Joe Pa. We could go down in the history books :)
That's funny, UA Fan! Right now, without the forfeits, JoePa is up on Bobby by one game. Even if you guys beat us, I think Penn State will recover enough to win more games than FSU for the rest of 2009. FSU owes Jimbo $5M if he is not coach "by" 2010 (not sure if "by" 2010 means 1 Jan or beginning of spring training or . . . . ). I don't know if FSU will part with that kind of cash just so BB can linger. Joe sure doesn't talk about retiring, and Penn State has not anointed a head coach in waiting. (My pick would be Larry Johnson.)Don't all you Zip fans run up all the prices on the scalped tix. This is my 25th anniversary of my grad year -- I am getting the urge to walk the auld sod again, but don't want to spend my sons' tuition to do so.Am enjoying the conversation with you guys -- looking forward to it heating up as we get closer to 5 Sep.Lions_84 (using the "Lions" part to avoid confusion with JohnnyZip84 -- great minds think alike!)
Thanks Lions-84 :wave: I'm not sure there will be enough Akron ticket demand to affect the going rate, but you never know I suppose. That's some interesting speculation on the Bowden/Paterno battle. From what I've read it sounds like Bobby will be leaving after this season regardless. So my money's on Joe. Thinking about Joe's eventual successor lead me to another thought. Will Penn State ever deviate from those awful "practice" uniforms down the road? Hey, I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I also appreciate the power of "tradition" but I've never been a big fan of the plain blue and white. My HS in Pittsburgh used to use the same unis back in the day, but they've moved onto a much more elaborate design since I graduated. I have to figure that the vast majority of PSU fans would prefer to keep the unis as is, but I wonder what you guys here think.

Thanks Lions-84 :wave: I'm not sure there will be enough Akron ticket demand to affect the going rate, but you never know I suppose. That's some interesting speculation on the Bowden/Paterno battle. From what I've read it sounds like Bobby will be leaving after this season regardless. So my money's on Joe. Thinking about Joe's eventual successor lead me to another thought. Will Penn State ever deviate from those awful "practice" uniforms down the road? Hey, I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I also appreciate the power of "tradition" but I've never been a big fan of the plain blue and white. My HS in Pittsburgh used to use the same unis back in the day, but they've moved onto a much more elaborate design since I graduated. I have to figure that the vast majority of PSU fans would prefer to keep the unis as is, but I wonder what you guys here think.
awful "practice" uniforms Johnny, I am in pretty good health, but I have to admit: Reading that part about the uniforms almost brought on a stroke!!!!!!!!!!!! Change the Blue-and-White?!?!?! What's next? Instant replay in CFB? A 40-second clock? How can you even suggest changing one of the most recognizable icons in the history of sports? :blink: I think my daydreaming at my desk is now a nightmare!Seriously, I am one of those beholders you mentioned. I can't imagine seeing/supporting the unis to be changed. It was bad enough when they had numbers on the helmets, for crying out loud. I even like the black shoes!Good thing our department is having a picnic this afternoon . . . I think I am mentally stunned for the rest of the day. :lol: Enjoy the weekend, Zips fans. One more closer to 5 September!!

awful "practice" uniforms Johnny, I am in pretty good health, but I have to admit: Reading that part about the uniforms almost brought on a stroke!!!!!!!!!!!! Change the Blue-and-White?!?!?! What's next? Instant replay in CFB? A 40-second clock? How can you even suggest changing one of the most recognizable icons in the history of sports? :blink: I think my daydreaming at my desk is now a nightmare!Seriously, I am one of those beholders you mentioned. I can't imagine seeing/supporting the unis to be changed. It was bad enough when they had numbers on the helmets, for crying out loud. I even like the black shoes!Good thing our department is having a picnic this afternoon . . . I think I am mentally stunned for the rest of the day. :lol: Enjoy the weekend, Zips fans. One more closer to 5 September!!
Hey, I've passed a milestone with you'all: My posts aren't being pre-screened by a moderator anymore. When do I get promoted to the next level of Zip-dom?

No, Paterno said he wasn't sure what he was going to do with him yet. Bowman has been under a lot of stress since his father passed away. But it wouldn't shock me if he was suspended for a game or 2. But there has not been a word on that yet.

No, Paterno said he wasn't sure what he was going to do with him yet. Bowman has been under a lot of stress since his father passed away. But it wouldn't shock me if he was suspended for a game or 2. But there has not been a word on that yet.
I read that on the horribly designed Pennlive.com forums and they seemed pretty certain that he would be gone. Maybe it was just speculation, but some of the posters were pretty mad about it.

I read that on the horribly designed Pennlive.com forums and they seemed pretty certain that he would be gone. Maybe it was just speculation, but some of the posters were pretty mad about it.
Kid, the most up-to-date article on PennLive seems to be this one from 10 July. Says nothing about a one-game suspension. Would be interested in seeing a link to the story you mentioned. Thanks!http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009...ge_timmons.html

Kid, the most up-to-date article on PennLive seems to be this one from 10 July. Says nothing about a one-game suspension. Would be interested in seeing a link to the story you mentioned. Thanks!http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009...ge_timmons.html
Not a story, but the message boards there. Here's the post istelf. http://www.pennlive.com/forums/psufootball...t?artid=1290050 It was in reply to something else, but the board is so terrible that I can't figure out to link the whole thread.

Not a story, but the message boards there. Here's the post istelf. http://www.pennlive.com/forums/psufootball...t?artid=1290050 It was in reply to something else, but the board is so terrible that I can't figure out to link the whole thread.
YIKES! You are right, Kid -- one ugly site to try to navigate in. Obviously some of us will keep checking other sources, to see what we can find out. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm pumped. It's 3 1/2 months away, but I'm ready for football season to start.Rasor's Penn State previewI think we'll have a better chance to beat them than we've ever had before. We have a mostly veteran team who won't be scared or in awe of their crowd. Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their place, and you can bet that he's doing all he can to get us ready to beat his old rival. Our strengths will be up against their weaknesses. A win there would give us the confidence to beat any other team on the schedule. They're our only truly difficult match up. ARE YOU READING THIS, ZIPS FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES? I want a win. There's no reason why you won't go out there and shock the entire state of Pennsylvania. I've heard that some of you don't think you can win. If that's true, the get the hell off the team and never come back. You are here to play Division I football against the highest level of competition. If you can't handle that, we'll find someone who will. This is what you signed up for. Anything less than 100% effort is a disgrace. You can win. You have all the ability you need to win.As for the fans, talk it up. Get under their fans' skins. Show that you have confidence in your team. Don't let them put you down as a weak opponent when we're clearly the best opponent on their non-conference schedule. Nothing can put doubt into their minds faster than a confident opposing fan base.Pennlive forumScout forumRivals forumESPN game discussionThey still haven't has any serious discussion us. Now's the perfect time to catch them off guard.It's go time! PSUcks! The Nittany Housecats are going down. Get angry! :gun::gun:
I for one am absolutely with you. "THE ROO" FEARS NO ONE!! I don't need to read razor's opinion. I Know we can beat Penn. Penn is our B...ch. You know I'm fired up. Just read my previous post below. I firmly believe that one of the most imortant things that our coaching staff can do to prepare us for Penn is to wipe out any semblance of doubt that any player has of our capability at winning that game. If we come prepared mentally to win, we have a Very Damn Good chance of winning. We DO have the talent to beat them. If I was the coach, I wouldn't put any player on the field that did not demonstrate a fiire in his heart and the determination to WIN. To me it seems a No-Brainer. Team Confidence is of paramount import to winning this game. Do not short-change this team. We have a lot of talent with an explosive mix of some key players. I just hope JD and staff get the message. I want this win so bad, I can already taste it. Bring them Penn State Suckers on. I can't wait.If we come out mentally ready to win, we will put a "stink" on Penn that wil be smelt long and far. Meanwhile, The Roo will come out "Smelling Like A Rose". I 'll say it again. Penn is our Bi...ch. We can and we will prove it. Mark my words. BEAT PENN STATE'S ASS!!!!! :rock::champs: Penn Sucks (big time!) :gun: MY PREVIOUS POSTThis is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 5th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.ABJ HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 6, 2009THE ZIPS" – THE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWNThe usual roar of Joe Paterno's Lions was quickly and most decidedly squelched as the 2nd half of the long-awaited season opener got underway against the visiting "CUPCAKES" of The University of Akron. Under the tutelage of JD Brookahart, the fearless ZIPS put a major hurt on the highly touted Nittany Lions as the Zips unleashed a can-o-whoop ass culminating in a stunning come-from-behind upset over Penn State. Yes folks, the streets and pubs of downtown Akron were overflowing well into the night with a raucously exuberant contingent of ZIPS faithful celebrating what will surely be long-remembered by college football fans everywhere.Down 10/0 at halftime, the Zips spirit and toughness was put through the ringer. Down, but Never Out, The Zips quickly came back like a thunderous roar and played like monster-sized/hearted Roos crushing the beaten-up & down Nittany Lions. Final score: University of Akron 35, Penn State 24.Afterwards Afterwards no one was singled out for accolades but the ecstatic JD Brookhart as he praised his team for their fight and touhness. Mobed by players and fans JD could take littel time to comment about this historical win except to thank his coaches for the great preparation they delivered, and thanking his players for playing like he new they could.THAT is what i want to see. Who's with me? Can i get a "Beat Penn's State's Ass" :rock::champs::cheers:

I'm pumped. It's 3 1/2 months away, but I'm ready for football season to start.Rasor's Penn State previewI think we'll have a better chance to beat them than we've ever had before. We have a mostly veteran team who won't be scared or in awe of their crowd. Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their place, and you can bet that he's doing all he can to get us ready to beat his old rival. Our strengths will be up against their weaknesses. A win there would give us the confidence to beat any other team on the schedule. They're our only truly difficult match up. ARE YOU READING THIS, ZIPS FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES? I want a win. There's no reason why you won't go out there and shock the entire state of Pennsylvania. I've heard that some of you don't think you can win. If that's true, the get the hell off the team and never come back. You are here to play Division I football against the highest level of competition. If you can't handle that, we'll find someone who will. This is what you signed up for. Anything less than 100% effort is a disgrace. You can win. You have all the ability you need to win.As for the fans, talk it up. Get under their fans' skins. Show that you have confidence in your team. Don't let them put you down as a weak opponent when we're clearly the best opponent on their non-conference schedule. Nothing can put doubt into their minds faster than a confident opposing fan base.Pennlive forumScout forumRivals forumESPN game discussionThey still haven't has any serious discussion us. Now's the perfect time to catch them off guard.It's go time! PSUcks! The Nittany Housecats are going down. Get angry! :gun::gun:
I for one am absolutely with you. "THE ROO" FEARS NO ONE!! I don't need to read razor's opinion. I Know we can beat Penn. Penn is our B...ch. You know I'm fired up. Just read my previous post below. I firmly believe that one of the most imortant things that our coaching staff can do to prepare us for Penn is to wipe out any semblance of doubt that any player has of our capability at winning that game. If we come prepared mentally to win, we have a Very Damn Good chance of winning. We DO have the talent to beat them. If I was the coach, I wouldn't put any player on the field that did not demonstrate a fiire in his heart and the determination to WIN. To me it seems a No-Brainer. Team Confidence is of paramount import to winning this game. Do not short-change this team. We have a lot of talent with an explosive mix of some key players. I just hope JD and staff get the message. I want this win so bad, I can already taste it. Bring them Penn State Suckers on. I can't wait.If we come out mentally ready to win, we will put a "stink" on Penn that wil be smelt long and far. Meanwhile, The Roo will come out "Smelling Like A Rose". I 'll say it again. Penn is our Bi...ch. We can and we will prove it. Mark my words. BEAT PENN STATE'S ASS!!!!! :rock::champs: Penn Sucks (big time!) :gun: MY PREVIOUS POSTThis is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 5th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.ABJ HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 6, 2009THE ZIPS" – THE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWNThe usual roar of Joe Paterno's Lions was quickly and most decidedly squelched as the 2nd half of the long-awaited season opener got underway against the visiting "CUPCAKES" of The University of Akron. Under the tutelage of JD Brookahart, the fearless ZIPS put a major hurt on the highly touted Nittany Lions as the Zips unleashed a can-o-whoop ass culminating in a stunning come-from-behind upset over Penn State. Yes folks, the streets and pubs of downtown Akron were overflowing well into the night with a raucously exuberant contingent of ZIPS faithful celebrating what will surely be long-remembered by college football fans everywhere.Down 10/0 at halftime, the Zips spirit and toughness was put through the ringer. Down, but Never Out, The Zips quickly came back like a thunderous roar and played like monster-sized/hearted Roos crushing the beaten-up & down Nittany Lions. Final score: University of Akron 35, Penn State 24.Afterwards Afterwards no one was singled out for accolades but the ecstatic JD Brookhart as he praised his team for their fight and touhness. Mobed by players and fans JD could take littel time to comment about this historical win except to thank his coaches for the great preparation they delivered, and thanking his players for playing like he new they could.THAT is what i want to see. Who's with me? Can i get a "Beat Penn's State's Ass" :rock::champs::cheers:

It's really just penn state. You can't really say that about them. I mean teams like the Yankees, Browns, Celtics, Lakers have iconic uniforms to go along with success in sports history. If ask anyone in the world they would know exactly who the Yankees are because of their classic logos and pinstripes. But no one will see a plain white helmet and know thats for Penn State.

Sean Lee ComebackWhen the Nittany Lions kick off preseason practice Aug. 10, it will have been 16 months since Lee previously took part in full-contact drills. And by the time the fifth-year senior co-captain from Upper St. Clair High School finally slips on his No. 45 jersey for the Sept. 5 non-conference opener against Akron, it will have been more than 20 months since he last played in a game.No player on Penn State's roster is more eager for the start of two-a-day practices than Lee, who had surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in April 2008. Now he is a nervous bundle of energy who admits he has struggled to control his emotions. "I can't wait to be playing football again, smelling the grass in August, putting the pads on, getting the little nicks on your nose from hitting, busting your fingers a little bit," he said. "I just am ready to go through it again. "Whenever I look at the [preseason] magazines or anything college football, thinking about the season, I get hyped up, worked up. Sometimes, if College Football Live is on [ESPN], I have to change the channel because my adrenaline starts running so much." Lee, 6 feet 2, 236 pounds, was primed for a big senior year last season. As a junior, he was named a first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly and finished second in the Big Ten Conference in tackles (138) behind former teammate Dan Connor. Lee also was named defensive MVP of the Alamo Bowl in December 2007 and NFLDraftScout.com ranked him as the top outside linebacker in the 2009 NFL draft, as well as the No. 6 player overall. But those projections were cast aside when Lee was injured while blitzing quarterback Daryll Clark in a scrimmage April 11, 2008.20090720wap_seanlee_330.jpgPenn State's Sean Lee, right, with Maurice Evans during a football practice at State College in March of 2008.

"Penn State is our B...ch" Funny stuff.. 3-0 ,152-50..Good luck and lets' pray for no injuries..
Where is Penn State anyways? Is it even near a Beach? (hehe). But seriously, I'm wishing for an exciting game with no injuries. I'm hoping both teams play well and I expect a win by the Zips. What Beach?? :cheers: