Josh Egner Commit Thread

According to his coach, Egner also had offers from Wright State, Eastern Michigan, Western Carolina, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and several other mid-majors. The item near the bottom of this Canton Rep story also notes that Egner could wait it out and see if his athleticism gets him into a major program. Don't know if that's just hometown optimism or if he really does have the potential to blossom into a major program talent. Canton Rep Link

I like this quote from Rasor's blog:"The coaching staff likes Egner's athleticism — that he plays above the rim. "That's a great thing. I was getting a little tired of players who seemed scared to go up strong and dunk the ball. That's probably what I missed most about Romeo Travis and a healthy Jeremiah Wood. Go up angry and strong and rip the rim down! Break someone's wrist if they try to block you! (Or at least draw the foul.)

Just as a little note, this puts a big obstacle in the way of Daryl Roberts getting a scholarship for his senior year. At this point we have 2 graduates next year, Chris McKnight and Jimmy Conyers. We now have verbals from Michael Green and Josh Egner to take up those two scholarships. Unless someone transfers out (which is always a possibility looking at our youth and our depth chart) there won't be a scholarship open for Daryl.Our 2010-11 roster as of right now (listed alphabetically by position)PG's: Hitchens, Steward, SullivanSG's: McClanahan, McNees, Peterson, RobertsSF's: Egner, Green, Brett McKnightPF's: Cvetinovic, ParrishC's: Bardo, Marshall, SwiechLooking at that it really makes a lot more sense to me why we've gone after guys like Green and Egner. When you look at what we have available at SF and even PF we are pretty thin after this year. From what I understand both of these guys are more combo-forwards. We know we've got two players in B.McK and Nik, but beyond that Parrish is still an unknown and we have NO depth at either forward spot. One or both of these guys will have to come in and play significant minutes right from the getgo.

• 2 weeks later...

have followed the Polar Bears as I live in Jackson, Egner will be strong, athleticism improvement over last two years is outstanding, and he is fundamentally sound. I believe he is physically ahead of his teammamte Henninger, who is more polished skill-wise right now, but the future upside for Egner is higher. Glad to see him become a Zip, I don't think the nation will be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

Egner was recently evaluated by the ESPN recruiting service. They gave him a grade of 84, which translates to "83-86: Mid-major prospect. Player should be a solid contributor and two- or three-year starter at a mid-major program."

July, 2009: Josh is an athletic four man that runs the floor hard in transition. He finishes with dunks in traffic or with his right hand lay-up. He needs to work on his left hand finishes and must improve the use of his body to become a better finisher. Josh was able to drive the ball hard from the high post area with one dribble and was explosive when attacking the basket, but must also work on his jump shot so he can be a threat past 15ft. Egner did a great job of attacking the offensive glass and would not accept a block out. He was able to grab rebounds in traffic at the highest point and leap back up for the finish on the offensive end. Josh will need to become more fluid with the ball in passing and dribbling to reach his greatest potential at Akron University.
"Akron University" :chair: c'mon ESPN.Anyway, he sems like a prospect, but KD has a way of getting players to reach their full potential and even go beyond it.He has a full year to improve those areas of his game before coming here.

• 5 months later...