UA in the news

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't understand…can you explain...

Those two schools are pretty much universally considered to have top 5 computer science departments globally. And then there's MIT at #30 behind Kaplan University of Davenport. Meanwhile, DePaul is #6--I live in Chicago,and Depaul is not #6 in anything . I don't know what kind of methodology could have come up with that ranking.

If one's going to look at individual department rankings, one needs to look at the once-per-decade evaluations by the National Research Council. Those are the gold standard.

It appears that Computer-Science-Schools.com uses presumably valid US Department of Education numbers and then applies a proprietary ranking algorithm that uses 61 different areas of measurement, including such factors as "campus safety." So it's no surprise that these may differ from other rankings that only include the quality of the computer science classes. I was unable to find any description on the website of who is actually performing this service.

Computer-Science-Schools.com Ranking Methodology

Computer-Science-Schools.com rankings have been compiled from the most recent data that has been collected from the schools and issued by the US Department of Education. The data we use is both public and unbiased, and has been presented as a comprehensive ranking guide for both students and parents looking for college information.

The ranking algorithm is based on proprietary, unique formulas that involve 61 academic, financial, and organizational factors and metrics, as well as faculty profiles, student retention rates, and alumni job prospects. The factors are each weighted differently and are then scored to reflect program ratings.

The scores are then normalized so that consideration is given to other characteristics of the school; such as the present student body enrollment, past ranking history of the specific college, and its current trend. The ranking formulas are proprietary and cannot be disclosed; however, we guarantee that all colleges are treated fairly and equally.

Computer-Science-Schools.com 2015 rankings are based on the US Department of Education data sets released in 2014 / 2015. Campus safety ratings are based on 2015 data from American School Search.

It appears that Computer-Science-Schools.com uses presumably valid US Department of Education numbers and then applies a proprietary ranking algorithm that uses 61 different areas of measurement, including such factors as "campus safety." So it's no surprise that these may differ from other rankings that only include the quality of the computer science classes. I was unable to find any description on the website of who is actually performing this service.

In addition….the number of degrees offered seems to weigh heavily…..(I have to say I am surprised but happy). Doesn't this lend itself to us specializing in the areas where we are strong? Being highly ranked at computer science seems like a good place to me.

Stanford –

presently offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in 2 computer programs.

Illinois

presently offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in 5 computer programs.

Akron – Ohio’s Polytechnic University

offering certificates, associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in 10 computer programs.

George Mason

presently offering bachelor's, certificates, master's, and doctoral degrees in 13 computer programs.

Random note, as I haven't seen it mentioned, but the beacon now has a lovely front page graphic on Ohio.com titled "UA Budget Fallout" linking to a pile of stories. While surely some aspects are news, I just don't get how the only truly local news source can root so hard for UA to fail.

Random note, as I haven't seen it mentioned, but the beacon now has a lovely front page graphic on Ohio.com titled "UA Budget Fallout" linking to a pile of stories. While surely some aspects are news, I just don't get how the only truly local news source can root so hard for UA to fail.

With all the ABJ comments scattered throughout various threads in ZipsNation, maybe someone should follow their lead and start a continuing thread on ZipsNation entitled ABJ Quality Fallout. ;)

All I need to know about the ABJ (the Leaking Urinal is what my Dad called it) is that they continue to employ GT, a self-loathing, Akron-hating writer who is unable to write complete sentences. I love it that the PD, which doesn't charge for online content, now features many Akron stories. Between akron.com, thedevilstrip.com and the PD, I can get plenty of Akron news and have little need for ohio.com.

• Like 1

Of course he does...doesn't his foundation and The University have a agreement that calls for him to endorse the U?

I don't know if anyone else caught this....

I was out to dinner with my wife last Saturday when the Aflac Trivia Question came up on the TV during the Suckeyes/NIU football game.

The question was: Who was the only MAC team to defeat OSWho?

I actually always knew that it was the Buchtel College team under the direction of Heisman. I was impressed that they knew that this was the modern-day University of Akron, and referenced this correctly when they were displaying the answer on the screen and talking about it.

A little bit of nice trivia, and nice national publicity with that one.

I actually always knew that it was the Buchtel College team under the direction of Heisman. I was impressed that they knew that this was the modern-day University of Akron, and referenced this correctly when they were displaying the answer on the screen and talking about it

I agree. When Can't played State Ohio University I watched the broadcast, and they INCORRECTLY said that "Can't State was the only MAC school to beat State Ohio University back when it was called Buchtel College"....

It stuck with me because it was a pretty epic failure.

Since the other topic was 'locked'.... Its been pretty obvious that the Leakin' Urinal doesn't have the cozy relationship with UofA it had when LP was Prez. Coverage of football has certainly changed. Maybe part of that is due to the person who was assigned to cover Akron football. Maybe part of it is due to the new regime on Buchtel Ave. In any event,if Bowden starts winning on a regular basis,even the BJ won't ignore it.