UA in the news

Tuition increase this spring.People already saying it's to fund the stadium. :wall:
Damn than every University in the state must have done stadium work this year... :rolleyes::rolleyes: These same people will complain about the high cost of education, and that the school raises tuition when they lose portions of state funding, but they also scream "We're Taxed Enough Already!"You don't get it both ways. You want cheap education, than open your wallet, otherwise quit bitching, good education costs money and Ohio still has one of the top education systems in the country.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/....xml&coll=2PD Article on UA's planned Titanium Bridge. Nothing like it has ever been done before. I hope it gets turned into a landmark.
Actually, I need a bridge over my creek and I have often wondered how much I would need to donate to get a UofA designed bridge? Somehow, I think this one might be out of my price range....

http://www.uakron.edu/im/online-newsroom/p...ld%20experience
More than 200 students applied for NSBRI internships, making the selection of the UA students even more notable since only 18 were chosen to participate. In addition to UA's George and Sulkowki, the 16 other students in the program represent such institutions as Baylor College of Medicine, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Michigan State, Texas A&M and the University of California, Berkeley.
That's good company. I'm jealous of these kids.

The University seems to be on to something major here, between the Titanium bridge and the corrosion program. Corrosion control is something with incredible huge potential (costs the USA $400 billion every year), but nobody has stepped up to start anything. UA is putting themselves in position to become THE leader in this field. We're in the perfect location, in the heart of the Rust Belt, and we already have a top-notch engineering program to use as a foundation.

Does anybody here have any Wikipedia editing skills? I think our titanium bridge would go nicely here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium#Cons...d_architecturalNobody's done anything like this bridge before. Plus it's a nice way to sneak in a mention of UA in someplace unexpected (I love coming across references to UA in seemingly random places).

So what does ".....we are in the ballpark of what our final increases should be." mean? Does that mean they have a target enrollment level? If so, does anyone know what it is? Does each college have their own target enrollment level? If so, some should already be at those levels. If we reach our target enrollment, will we eliminate open enrollment? Good to hear we continue to grow. It's interesting that Can't State is waiting to comment on their enrollment numbers....must be dropping.

So what does ".....we are in the ballpark of what our final increases should be." mean? Does that mean they have a target enrollment level? If so, does anyone know what it is? Does each college have their own target enrollment level? If so, some should already be at those levels. If we reach our target enrollment, will we eliminate open enrollment? Good to hear we continue to grow. It's interesting that Can't State is waiting to comment on their enrollment numbers....must be dropping.
I think they had an estimate for an enrollment increase caused by the Landscape for Learning. I guess we're reaching those numbers now. I think the university could probably hold up to 35,000 students as it currently is (including the dorms and parking deck being built) but any more than that and we would have to expand significantly. Besides, in order to cause an enrollment increase of that size UA would have to add some more major programs, or elevate one or more of our smaller departments to the level of the engineering/business/law schools. Or offer more graduate and doctoral programs, which would also raise our academic profile.

http://targetednews.com/disp_story.php?s_id=997848
MILITARY $372,428 Federal Contract Awarded to University of AkronWASHINGTON, Aug. 22 -- University of Akron, Ohio, won a $372,428 federal contract from the U.S. Air Force Materiel Command, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., for space object and system characterization.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.ohio.com/news/59134427.htmlUA to break ground on the new polymer center on Monday. We're also building a new engineering building and law building next to the railroad tracks on Wolf Ledges.It was great to see all the people wandering around before and after the game, admiring all the improvements to campus. But the Landscape for Learning was all about renovating the existing campus and turning into something to be proud of. The completion of the stadium marks a changing of the type of growth we're seeing. Now we're into the next phase, which is to create entirely new programs and build new facilities to house them in. This is true growth, not just the revitalization we have been seeing.

USAToday article about Akron and Minnesota opening new stadiums today. Amazing to see a national paper even mention us.
Really amazing. Usually when they run stories like this, they will only mention Minnesota's stadium (see ESPN)I'm still waiting for any mention at all from Graham Watson about this. it's her freaking job to cover non-BCS teams but she hasn't even mentioned Akron in passing for at least a month, even as she wrote an article about universities making huge facilities upgrades, instead opting to talk about some sun belt team's new scoreboard.