UA in the news

Wow... Joe is still going strong! He is an Akron treasure... and one of the main... if not THE main... reasons for UA's renown in polymer science. The program was already very good, but landing him in 1970 began a cascading process of attracting even more of the world's greatest minds in polymer chemistry and engineering (and that's not an exaggeration) to Akron. To top it off, he's just a heckuva nice man. I've had the honor and pleasure to meet him several times.

Wow... Joe is still going strong! He is an Akron treasure... and one of the main... if not THE main... reasons for UA's renown in polymer science. The program was already very good, but landing him in 1970 began a cascading process of attracting even more of the world's greatest minds in polymer chemistry and engineering (and that's not an exaggeration) to Akron. To top it off, he's just a heckuva nice man. I've had the honor and pleasure to meet him several times.

Never had the pleasure of meeting him myself, but I was already blown away in awe by the PD story. Your additional information just amazes me even more. Thanks for posting '82 and thanks for all of your hard work, Joe! :bow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
UA workers looking to unionize.

"Zips Days" at downtown barbershop. I like the idea. I'm looking a bit shaggy and might have to check it out.

Not a fan of unionizing. Not looking forward to my tuition going up at an even higher rate than it already does.

As for the barbershop, awesome idea, but I have never paid for a haircut in my life ;)

• 3 weeks later...

http://fox8.com/2012/10/19/local-corporati...-share-secrets/

AKRON, Ohio — The Canton-based Timken Corporation’s research laboratory has literally been moved from the Timken research facilities in North Canton onto the campus of The University of Akron where the company will be sharing some of its corporate secrets.

• 1 month later...

New dorms with retail on Exchange

"LRC Realty also won Council's okay to build two five-story student housing units near the University of Akron. One unit will include 19,000 square feet of first-floor retail on Exchange Street. The two units together will encompass a city block, house more than 500 students and cost more than $40 million to build."

In the West Side Leader, they say it is the block bounded by Exchange, Sumner, Torrey, and Allyn. I hope the businesses that are there currently have been offered spots in the retail area of this.

That block has Penn Station, a trophy store, and a phone shop. Everything else is just abandoned buildings.

This is the same location that was rumored to see a new Chipotle and Five Guys moving in.

I honestly would not be sad to see any of those buildings or stores along Exchange demolished, from route 8 to Mcdonalds. That entire south of the street has been a bit of an eyesore, and and honestly not very fun to walk down at night. Build new storefront/housing complexes all the way down the street and if the Subway, Taco Bell, Euro, FedEx Office, etc want to move in fine. If not let them go somewhere else...

I honestly would not be sad to see any of those buildings or stores along Exchange demolished, from route 8 to Mcdonalds. That entire south of the street has been a bit of an eyesore, and and honestly not very fun to walk down at night. Build new storefront/housing complexes all the way down the street and if the Subway, Taco Bell, Euro, FedEx Office, etc want to move in fine. If not let them go somewhere else...

EuroGyro just tore down and rebuilt recently. The new building is pretty nice.

What really needs to go are the drivethroughs. Drivethroughs scream "ghetto".

EuroGyro just tore down and rebuilt recently. The new building is pretty nice.

What really needs to go are the drivethroughs. Drivethroughs scream "ghetto".

The drive-thru places and small convenience stores need to go.

Places like this...

xy_0F050298-E59E-49D5-9274-20C9A1F43ACC__.JPG

I'm all for small businesses, but that area deserves more respectable tenants with nice buildings. Having so many residence halls being built, there's no question there will be a demand for stores and restaurants in that area. It's definitely not the commuter school it used to be. The only time they may hurt is when class in not in session.

The University Park Alliance needs to use Knights Plaza at UCF as inspiration. I've never been there, but from pictures I've seen and what I've heard it's awesome. 20 different storefronts build in an area adjacent to their Arena.

The drive-thru places and small convenience stores need to go.

Places like this...

xy_0F050298-E59E-49D5-9274-20C9A1F43ACC__.JPG

I'm all for small businesses, but that area deserves more respectable tenants with nice buildings. Having so many residence halls being built, there's no question there will be a demand for stores and restaurants in that area. It's definitely not the commuter school it used to be. The only time they may hurt is when class in not in session.

The University Park Alliance needs to use Knights Plaza at UCF as inspiration. I've never been there, but from pictures I've seen and what I've heard it's awesome. 20 different storefronts build in an area adjacent to their Arena.

That little mess in the photo won't be gone for a long time. I believe UA agreed to not pursue acquisition of that property for X amount of years in order to get them out of the corner of Union and Exchange for Infocision's construction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very encouraging. I'd love to see more development on Exchange in this style of architecture. I've always felt a Panera would be perfect for opposite Jackson Field. I hear the franchise fee to open one is very steep. My daughter goes to OSU and the Panera on Lane Avenue, opposite St. John Arena is packed from morning to closing. Regardless, more restaurants are needed on Exchange.

This is an early concept drawing by UPA for the University Square project at Exchange and Brown Sts. Note that these early drawing shows Manny's and The Odd Corner remaning in place. Note the baseball practice facility at the south end of the project where the old women's stadium (Buchtel Field) is today.

This is an early concept drawing by UPA for the University Square project at Exchange and Brown Sts. Note that these early drawing shows Manny's and The Odd Corner remaning in place. Note the baseball practice facility at the south end of the project where the old women's stadium (Buchtel Field) is today.

Wow that is impressive. But with most early drawings, it's tough to really know what the finished area will look like. I heard that the Odd Corner was going to be forced to move yet again. Not sure how much truth to that, but maybe they can offer them one of the small storefronts in the new buildings.

Basically it looks like these building will take up the area between Brown and King St. Meaning the building on the far right is the first development being built between King and Sumner? Sure wish I was still at UA to see all of this being built. Exchange Street is really going to be an awesome place (never thought I'd ever say that). Just hope it becomes the "place to be" on Saturday gamedays!

Wow, I spent a few years in those ugly houses south and east of campus, and have some good memories, but plans like these are exactly what is needed.