UA in the news

Additionally if they are all housed in Central, then they aren't exactly "all over campus."

Are you insinuating that the early college program is housed in the student union? Otherwise, my point still stands. They are still going to pack in hoards all over campus and act obnoxious. The program is a great idea. But why do we need them to be on our campus?

Additionally if they are all housed in Central, then they aren't exactly "all over campus."

Are you insinuating that the early college program is housed in the student union? Otherwise, my point still stands. They are still going to pack in hoards all over campus and act obnoxious. The program is a great idea. But why do we need them to be on our campus?

The early college is mostly in Polsky right now, they use a few other buildings that I am aware of, the fact that you have an issue at all is kind of telling. Intimidated by high school kids.

Right now if you are seeing any kids on the main part of campus, they are likely East Students. The early college kids are selected based on grades and if they cause a problem they are gone. If you are having problems with anyone it's the East kids.

The early college is mostly in Polsky right now, they use a few other buildings that I am aware of, the fact that you have an issue at all is kind of telling. Intimidated by high school kids.

Right now if you are seeing any kids on the main part of campus, they are likely East Students. The early college kids are selected based on grades and if they cause a problem they are gone. If you are having problems with anyone it's the East kids.

I believe I was told by my boss a while back that the former building of the Inventor's Hall of Fame was being transformed into a building to house UA's early college students to get them out of Polsky and open up more classroom space for UA students.

I believe I was told by my boss a while back that the former building of the Inventor's Hall of Fame was being transformed into a building to house UA's early college students to get them out of Polsky and open up more classroom space for UA students.

No the Inventor's Hall of Fame school is being transformed into the STEM Middle School. Has nothing to do with Early College.

Watch it g-mann, you are beginning to sound a touch like Jake. Intimidated? C'mon, now. Let's be mature. I'm not taking part in one of your little cat fights.

Yes, that does sound more like what I'm seeing. But for some reason I always thought that was Central Hower High. Google is calling it East High, but then where is this 'central hower' location where everyone wanted the new arena built?

And what reason do the East High school students have for being on campus? Shouldn't they be in class or something. They are incredibly loud. If I saw them yelling and screaming jibberish when I was touring campus I would have never gone here. I'm sure most students feel the same way.

Watch it g-mann, you are beginning to sound a touch like Jake. Intimidated? C'mon, now. Let's be mature. I'm not taking part in one of your little cat fights.

Yes, that does sound more like what I'm seeing. But for some reason I always thought that was Central Hower High. Google is calling it East High, but then where is this 'central hower' location where everyone wanted the new arena built?

And what reason do the East High school students have for being on campus? Shouldn't they be in class or something. They are incredibly loud. If I saw them yelling and screaming jibberish when I was touring campus I would have never gone here. I'm sure most students feel the same way.

Sorry for the jab.

The building is Central Hower but Central was closed to contract to 7 high schools. Due to Akron Public School new facility program East was temporarily closed as it was renovated and an addition put on to house Goodyear Middle School in the combined facility. East has been in the Central building going on two-three years and should go back to East (on Britain Road) for the start of the next school year. They are on campus because they may have open lunch (don't know that for sure) and let's face it, kids flick classes. If you flick class at a school next to a University where are you likely to go?

Sorry for the jab.

No problem.

The building is Central Hower but Central was closed to contract to 7 high schools. Due to Akron Public School new facility program East was temporarily closed as it was renovated and an addition put on to house Goodyear Middle School in the combined facility. East has been in the Central building going on two-three years and should go back to East (on Britain Road) for the start of the next school year. They are on campus because they may have open lunch (don't know that for sure) and let's face it, kids flick classes. If you flick class at a school next to a University where are you likely to go?

Ahh, okay. That makes sense. So then my next question is, what happens when the East High students go back to their renovated school? Who gets the old Hower?

Sorry for the jab.

No problem.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense. So then my next question is, what happens when the East High students go back to their renovated school? Who gets the old Hower?

As of right now, I have no idea. My best guess is the Early College get's it; otherwise they will use it for a swing school for another High School that has to have their building done (Garfield/Kenmore). Buchtel, Ellet, Firestone and North have room (and land) and buildings close enough to house students while they are rebuilt or rennovated.

Sorry for the jab.

No problem.

The Hower site is a swing school for APD. All the high schools that are to be renovated will occupy Hower until the renovations are done. Once East leaves, another high school will take its place.

If we ever acquire Central, it will become the exclusive site of the Early College.

I think that's a horrible mistake. Early college is...eh...

Let's just say that it's aggravating when you have to weave your way through swarms of screaming high school kids in the student union. They need to get that stuff OFF campus. Once, I heard a UA student say, "Do you guys even go here?" and some high school student screams back, "Its Akron, you dont have to go here to be here!"

That's early college in a nut shell.

Early college is one of Proenza's key initiatives. Additionally if they are all housed in Central, then they aren't exactly "all over campus."

Does your major require you to "stay in your building" and not travel to other parts of the campus? There is nothing magical about the Central Hower location that would prohibit students housed in it from traveling all over campus. Do you currently see East High students restricted to the Central Hower Building?

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone has watched the series on the states that the History Channel is showing again now (original airing date was back in 2007) but two UA Asst. Professors, Gregory Wilson and Kevin Kern are featured in it. Akron gets a reasonable amount of play including a mention that the first motorized police wagon started there and quite a bit on the Soap Box Derby (one girl said she cried for a hour when she got to go to Akron - not HAD to go to Akron :)). It also mentioned that the Cuyahoga river caught on fire in Cleveland 4 times in 6 decades (which led to the Clean Water Act and the creation of the EPA).

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a good plan to me.

The empire is quietly growing. Besides Wayne College, we're in Holmes Co., Medina Co., Barberton, and looking at Hudson. They mentioned the 293 acres of protected wetlands for research but I don't know how much "dry land" there would be for academic facilities. It could be a good spot for main campus overflow (dorms too) since it's a quick drive up Rte. 8...run a shuttle if need be.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/98672109.html

The city of Akron is trying to get approval and funding to re-work the stretch of I-76-I-77 closest to UA. It would cut off a major route that people use to get to the University with the closing of on and off ramps along that stretch, forcing people to use Route 8.

I would be all for this if the Interbelt highway was completely connected to the other highways instead of being a strip of concrete in a sea of surface streets. Connecting it to I-76 in both directions would help ease the flow of traffic in a major way. That should have been the city's top highway priority for many years, but now it lays almost abandoned and only used by driver's ed students who are trying to get used to freeway driving without dealing with traffic.