UA in the news

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/98672109.html

The city of Akron is trying to get approval and funding to re-work the stretch of I-76-I-77 closest to UA. It would cut off a major route that people use to get to the University with the closing of on and off ramps along that stretch, forcing people to use Route 8.

I would be all for this if the Interbelt highway was completely connected to the other highways instead of being a strip of concrete in a sea of surface streets. Connecting it to I-76 in both directions would help ease the flow of traffic in a major way. That should have been the city's top highway priority for many years, but now it lays almost abandoned and only used by driver's ed students who are trying to get used to freeway driving without dealing with traffic.

I use the Interbelt to get into and out of the city occasionally when coming to campus. It's not that big of a hassle.

The city of Akron is trying to get approval and funding to re-work the stretch of I-76-I-77 closest to UA. It would cut off a major route that people use to get to the University with the closing of on and off ramps along that stretch, forcing people to use Route 8.

I would be all for this if the Interbelt highway was completely connected to the other highways instead of being a strip of concrete in a sea of surface streets. Connecting it to I-76 in both directions would help ease the flow of traffic in a major way. That should have been the city's top highway priority for many years, but now it lays almost abandoned and only used by driver's ed students who are trying to get used to freeway driving without dealing with traffic.

I use the Interbelt to get into and out of the city occasionally when coming to campus. It's not that big of a hassle.

It's impossible to get to the interbelt if you're heading west. That's why so many people are trying to exit at Main Street, which is the whole reason they want to shut down the Wolf Ledges ramps.

I think this was discussed in another thread but for all of the folks who maintain that private/parochial schools don't recruit for athletics:

It was on to St. Michaels' grade school where Peters played football, basketball and baseball.

"I remember going to the C.Y.C. in downtown Canton and meeting a coach named Rey Dempsey," Peters said. "He ran a basketball program and kept track of all the good athletes in the area and tried to recruit them for Central Catholic. He sold me on going to Central and I really enjoyed my four years at the school."

I don't have a problem with it, I was wish more people would acknowlegde it instead of pretending they are recruiting only for "academics". Same thing exists for college. Plenty of schools some atheletes would not qualify for other than a 4.4 40.

It's impossible to get to the interbelt if you're heading west. That's why so many people are trying to exit at Main Street, which is the whole reason they want to shut down the Wolf Ledges ramps.

I just jump on Exchange street and go down to Akron General and then hang a left. I think I took that way after every football game this year.

I just jump on Exchange street and go down to Akron General and then hang a left. I think I took that way after every football game this year.

Oh, wait, you are saying if you are heading west on 76......yea, I can see that!

• 2 weeks later...

Department of Defense gives the Corrosion Engineering program another $2.5 million

Let's get that facility built quickly. If done right, it will become a huge boost to UA because it's the only corrosion program in the country, located right in the center of the rust belt. Companies across the US are clamoring to hire people that don't need trained from scratch.

Department of Defense gives the Corrosion Engineering program another $2.5 million

Let's get that facility built quickly. If done right, it will become a huge boost to UA because it's the only corrosion program in the country, located right in the center of the rust belt. Companies across the US are clamoring to hire people that don't need trained from scratch.

Wow. Corroded bridges are a Defense Dept. issue now? Well, sounds like a good career choice since we always hear about how much infrastructure upgrade is needed. And it can't be easily outsourced. Yeah, the Rust Engineering program in the Rust Belt is bound to make it into a Letterman monologue eventually, if it hasn't already. There goes another parking lot. Ironically, they were going to build one of the new parking decks in that corner of campus at one time.

Corroded bridges are a Defense Dept. issue now?
Pipeline corrosion is a major safety concern in every processing plant in the world.

Ships, aircraft, tanks, and just about every other piece of equipment they have is exposed to extreme environments. Facilities and other assets could also see extended life. This is probably the best money spent by the DoD on non mission critical research in years.

New residence hall approved. 735 beds initially, but could go up to 2,500 beds if funding is secured. I think they'll replace the townhomes and the ancient Grant residence hall.

A 2,500 bed residence hall would be beyond massive. Far more than anything on campus currently. The current giant dorm building on Exchange has just 500 beds. It would almost double the dorm space for the university.

New residence hall approved. 735 beds initially, but could go up to 2,500 beds if funding is secured. I think they'll replace the townhomes and the ancient Grant residence hall.

A 2,500 bed residence hall would be beyond massive. Far more than anything on campus currently. The current giant dorm building on Exchange has just 500 beds. It would almost double the dorm space for the university.

They said on Grant street, between Exchange and Wheeler? does this mean Gallucci is getting torn down, or the Townhouses? Wouldn't mind seeing either one go, I lived in Gallucci for 3 years and it has really been showing its age. I wonder why they didn't want to build this new building up near the stadium like originally planned?

They said on Grant street, between Exchange and Wheeler? does this mean Gallucci is getting torn down, or the Townhouses? Wouldn't mind seeing either one go, I lived in Gallucci for 3 years and it has really been showing its age. I wonder why they didn't want to build this new building up near the stadium like originally planned?

I'm thinking the townhouses go first. This will supposedly be done in phases, going from 735 bed hall (huge in itself) where the townhouses are, and adding two more halls to replace Grant and Gallucci eventually.

And if you read further down the article, Proenza said that private funding will be used to build a minimum of three new academic research buildings, at least three residence halls and two or more parking decks during his state of the university address last fall. One research building has been built, between the polymer college and the bread factory, one parking deck on Exchange, and this announced dorm would be the first one (Spicer was already under construction).

So expect at least two more academic buildings, probably where the Wonderbread factory currently is and next to Buckingham (planned Corrosion Engineering building). At least two more dorms, one located at Lot 9 and one somewhere else. And one more parking deck somewhere (north campus?).

The large UA letters on the southwest side of the new parking deck are down and they're removing the damaged bricks to replace them. Did the storm take down another sign? ;)

Yea, I saw that today. That's a pretty nice parking deck as parking decks go. Still, it is a bit of an eyesore. They should have put the parking deck where the new dorms are and put the new dorms where the parking deck is. What a way to kill a large section of street! I love he huge UA on the side though...no mistaking where you are!

http://www.ohio.com/news/100008744.html

The University of Akron may build another residence hall with 735 beds — and eventually up to 2,500 — through a partnership with a private developer....

....In the future, UA may make more use of it as well. UA President Luis Proenza said in his state-of-the-university address last fall that private dollars could fund at least three new academic research buildings, at least three residence halls and two or more parking decks...

...Currently the university has 3,365 beds on campus, including the 450-bed Spicer Street residence hall that will open later this month...

Does anyone know if some of the older residence halls(Gallucci, Grant) will be replaced or is this just purely new construction. Either way, this is a pretty substantial increase in residence space.

The University of Akron may build another residence hall with 735 beds — and eventually up to 2,500 — through a partnership with a private developer....

....In the future, UA may make more use of it as well. UA President Luis Proenza said in his state-of-the-university address last fall that private dollars could fund at least three new academic research buildings, at least three residence halls and two or more parking decks...

...Currently the university has 3,365 beds on campus, including the 450-bed Spicer Street residence hall that will open later this month...

Does anyone know if some of the older residence halls(Gallucci, Grant) will be replaced or is this just purely new construction. Either way, this is a pretty substantial increase in residence space.

I think they remodeled those residence halls within the last 10 years. I'd be a little surprised if they razed them and started over now.

I think they remodeled those residence halls within the last 10 years. I'd be a little surprised if they razed them and started over now.

The Grant Street residences is almost 40 years old and needs major upgrades which would be too costly to pursue.

The plan is to raze Gallucci, the Grant Street residences and the townhomes and move Greenleaf (the family services agency currently fronting on Exchange). The entire block and the Gallucci site will be transformed. This will occur starting in 2011 and be complete (at least scheduled to be) by 2015. South of that will be the new private development, Envision Apartments, currently under major renovation which will add another 300 beds to the mix starting in January, 2011.

The wonderful thing for the university is that they will have little or no cash outlay--just a land lease, in essence to the developers who will finance the entire project. Win-win for everyone!!

WOW, that will be impressive if the grand master plan comes to fruition. I also noticed that quite a few homes have been demolished near Summa on the East side of campus between Market and Buchtel. My guess there is that Summa will be expanding across Market street. The two big players in the University park Alliance are making things happen around campus.

The Grant Street residences is almost 40 years old and needs major upgrades which would be too costly to pursue.

The plan is to raze Gallucci, the Grant Street residences and the townhomes and move Greenleaf (the family services agency currently fronting on Exchange). The entire block and the Gallucci site will be transformed. This will occur starting in 2011 and be complete (at least scheduled to be) by 2015. South of that will be the new private development, Envision Apartments, currently under major renovation which will add another 300 beds to the mix starting in January, 2011.

The wonderful thing for the university is that they will have little or no cash outlay--just a land lease, in essence to the developers who will finance the entire project. Win-win for everyone!!

Thanks, that's some awesome information. Glad to hear it.

WOW, that will be impressive if the grand master plan comes to fruition. I also noticed that quite a few homes have been demolished near Summa on the East side of campus between Market and Buchtel. My guess there is that Summa will be expanding across Market street. The two big players in the University park Alliance are making things happen around campus.

It's going to be interesting to see how this city changes over the next 10-20 years. It's pretty likely that there will be something similar to what's going on at University circle in Cleveland. As young people continue to move back to the city, University Park might become a new hotspot.