UA in the news

• 3 months later...

Anyone for some remedial math?

"A combination of high schools GPA and ACT scores would be used to place students into three categories: preparatory, emergent and college-ready.

Emergent students are slightly less prepared than college-ready students, who are fully prepared for the rigor of post-secondary classes.

Currently 19 percent of students are considered preparatory, 21 percent emergent, and 50 percent college-ready."

"A combination of high schools GPA and ACT scores would be used to place students into three categories: preparatory, emergent and college-ready.

Emergent students are slightly less prepared than college-ready students, who are fully prepared for the rigor of post-secondary classes.

Currently 19 percent of students are considered preparatory, 21 percent emergent, and 50 percent college-ready."

Glad to see it. Now perhaps we can start seeing an improved graduation rate and UA being something better than a 3rd tier college. We should also hope that UA starts to enforce stricter residency requirements. They should require not only freshmen who come from outside of neighboring counties to live on campus but sophomores as well. Studies show that when students live on campus, they have a higher graduation rate and take less time to graduate. This will also have the added benefit of competing with the private developers constructing unsafe just off-campus housing that are nothing more than future section 8 facilities that will replace the Mayflower.

That's great. I see this private development adding to The University of Akron as long as it has the same standards that UA has for its on-campus facilities...no fire traps please. One draw back...it is not on campus and is not owned and operated by UA, therefore, on-campus living factors (checks on under age drinking and clamping down on pot smoking) which contribute to higher graduation rates will not apply in these off-campus non-UA living quarters.

Don't think for a moment that the private developer isn't marketing these factors without saying them out loud. The city of Akron including the mayor and his rubber stamps, city council couldn't care less. That includes county government as well.

I think it's a good location. Closer to campus than the downtown apartment buildings, but only two blocks away from the downtown nightlife. Being near the railroad tracks isn't any more of a detriment than it is for Quaker Square, and Quaker is considered the quietest dorm on campus.

I'm also glad that another one of the major downtown eyesores is being replaced.

With all of the new housing UA is adding (all of Quaker, South Hall, the new dorm/apartment on exchange) and the new private complexes targeting young adults (Mayflower, 401 Lofts, Depot), I dont see where the demand for occupancy will be/is coming from.

really? Its always seemed dead and boring. Definitely doesnt have a dorm feel. I would say the only one that rivals it would be Honor's.

dont forget, pat is wise and all-knowing so he must be right. :lol: You are right though... Quaker is pretty quiet. Mostly due in part to the units being in these massive concrete silos with 12" concrete floors. That in and of itself make the rooms mostly sound-proof to adjacent units. Thats not to say you cant make noise because you really can... but your comparison to Honors is fairly accurate.

Seriously though, pat... "fire trap"... REALLY? You do realize there are these things called building and fire codes which builders have to adhere to with new construction, right? Generally unlikely for a new building to be a "fire trap", save only for a catastrophic event beyond the scope of anyone's predictions (which itself is not covered by the codes)

Having friends who either live in or work for 22 exchange (and thus 401 lofts, etc), I can tell you theyre a little more strict than you give them credit. Its definitely not dorm-like with RAs on duty and on every floor, but its not like a normal apartment complex either. They run those units quite like a tight ship, to be honest.

Being next to the tracks really isnt a big deal either. I lived in the exchange st dorms which was only 2 blocks from there, and worked in the CBA Labs which is next to the tracks... Its only loud if you have your windows open. Even then you get used to the noise and it becomes "white noise".

Food for thought.

In other news, theyre speeding along with the new apartment/retail complex next to the McD's on exchange. Ive also been hearing that the University has slowly been buying up properties south of campus... though thats to be expected with their "grand plan" to completely renovate that area.

dont forget, pat is wise and all-knowing so he must be right. :lol: You are right though... Quaker is pretty quiet. Mostly due in part to the units being in these massive concrete silos with 12" concrete floors. That in and of itself make the rooms mostly sound-proof to adjacent units. Thats not to say you cant make noise because you really can... but your comparison to Honors is fairly accurate.

Seriously though, pat... "fire trap"... REALLY? You do realize there are these things called building and fire codes which builders have to adhere to with new construction, right? Generally unlikely for a new building to be a "fire trap", save only for a catastrophic event beyond the scope of anyone's predictions (which itself is not covered by the codes)

Having friends who either live in or work for 22 exchange (and thus 401 lofts, etc), I can tell you theyre a little more strict than you give them credit. Its definitely not dorm-like with RAs on duty and on every floor, but its not like a normal apartment complex either. They run those units quite like a tight ship, to be honest.

Being next to the tracks really isnt a big deal either. I lived in the exchange st dorms which was only 2 blocks from there, and worked in the CBA Labs which is next to the tracks... Its only loud if you have your windows open. Even then you get used to the noise and it becomes "white noise".

Food for thought.

In other news, theyre speeding along with the new apartment/retail complex next to the McD's on exchange. Ive also been hearing that the University has slowly been buying up properties south of campus... though thats to be expected with their "grand plan" to completely renovate that area.

Believe whatever you want. Code or not and your snarky personal attacks or not, these private structures are not as safe as you've been led to believe. I have the names of several contractors and developers who have come to this conclusion. My hope is that University Edge will be the first of more exceptions. And again research proves that when students live in on campus housing under the ownership and management of a university and not privately owned developers, students graduate at a higher rate and sooner.

Believe whatever you want. Code or not and your snarky personal attacks or not, these private structures are not as safe as you've been led to believe. I have the names of several contractors and developers who have come to this conclusion. My hope is that University Edge will be the first of more exceptions. And again research proves that when students live in on campus housing under the ownership and management of a university and not privately owned developers, students graduate at a higher rate and sooner.

Out of curiosity, how many tinfoil hats do you own?

Well, put up or shut up then. If you and several professionals know these buildings are unsafe, then do something about it.

What makes you so sure that you don't have to put up or shut up? There are people at UA who are already aware of this reality and doing something about it is in their ball park. As far as you are concerned, you are part of the problem since all you do is shoot your mouth off and not be part of the solution. Your hostility is a confession and certainly not a defense you little unproductive troll. It is obvious that you look for any opportunity to be disagreeable instead of disagreeing for the purpose of being part of a solution.

Since you come off as a slow learner, again please read at your leisure:

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?ac...mp;f=2&id=5

What makes you so sure that you don't have to put up or shut up? There are people at UA who are already aware of this reality and doing something about it is in their ball park. As far as you are concerned, you are part of the problem since all you do is shoot your mouth off and not be part of the solution. Your hostility is a confession and certainly not a defense you little unproductive troll. It is obvious that you look for any opportunity to be disagreeable instead of disagreeing for the purpose of being part of a solution.

Whatever. I'm out of this conversation.