UA in the news

Wow. I was thinking the other day that he was probably getting close. One of the most telling quotes from the article follows:

Many rumors suggest that Jim Tressel, the former Ohio State football coach who is UA vice president for strategic engagement, would be named interim president or president when Proenza departs.

“He’s probably going to be a candidate, but that’s about all we can say at this point,” Pogue said. “We’re not in any rush.”

• 4 weeks later...
quality > than quantity? I think its natural for enrollment to decrease, at least temporarily, if they are trying to attract better students.

Quality > quantity if you're talking about an academic institution that values education. UA primarily values profits. That's why adjuncts teach most of the classes taken by students in their first two years. Big $$$ in exploiting adjuncts.

UA's perspective

That's why adjuncts teach most of the classes taken by students in their first two years. Big $$$ in exploiting adjuncts.

This is a good point, and if the University is serious about improving the student body then they should get serious about improving the faculty as well.

Almost all of my engineering classes were taught by full time professors. In some rare cases intro classes were taught by graduate students. Based on my experience in other departments this was the case for most science and math classes as well. From what I understand this is similar to what goes on at most ACC schools.

So it seems like the University really needs to focus on improving the quality of certain non STEM department faculty. Those are the departments that are too dependent upon part time faculty.

For the record, I'm completely on board with the University's decision to value quality over quantity. ;)

the decline was anticipated as part of a multi-year strategy to improve academic preparedness, retention and graduation rates for all students, according to UA Senior Vice President, Provost and Chief Operating Officer Mike Sherman. "Starting in 2006, we experienced a five-year period of tremendous growth—26 percent growth—with enrollment peaking in 2011," Sherman said. "The numbers we are seeing today are due, in part, to an enrollment strategy we instituted in the last two years. For example, we steered nearly 400 students this past year into programs at community colleges where they will be able to receive more preparatory courses and be better equipped to succeed in the initial stages of their higher education. This is a student success strategy that aligns with our college completion objectives."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aero design team breaks record, finishes 1st in international competition

http://www.uakron.edu/im/online-newsroom/news_details.dot?newsId=ec16fc25-a28e-436f-87be-2c38b1f88a9f#.U1Z1xiS3KIA

GO Zips!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the daughter of a university employee who already has her classes paid for is mad because she wont be given free cash anymore (presumably for other expenses). I can understand that. No one likes to go backwards. Having things and losing them sux, even if you never earned them in the first place. Gifts that don't keep on giving present an unfortunate emotional hazard.

Personally, I think this is right.
Use scholarship money toward tuition and academic expenses. If you don't need it for that, let it go to others who do need it for that.

I'm sorry about your off-campus rent. Go get a grant or loan (or god forbid, a job like I did)

So, the daughter of a university employee who already has her classes paid for is mad because she wont be given free cash anymore (presumably for other expenses). I can understand that. No one likes to go backwards. Having things and losing them sux, even if you never earned them in the first place. Gifts that don't keep on giving present an unfortunate emotional hazard.

Personally, I think this is right.

Use scholarship money toward tuition and academic expenses. If you don't need it for that, let it go to others who do need it for that.

I'm sorry about your off-campus rent. Go get a grant or loan (or god forbid, a job like I did)

If she lived on campus, it would be completely paid for. She can either take advantage of what's offered for free, or pay to have something better. Welcome to the real world.

End of the day, this is a minor move. It doesn't affect private or government scholarships, which is what a large majority of students have.

Most of the support behind this "student movement" comes from a position of ignorance or misinformation. This move is a benefit to the student body.

Nothing like a good, old-fashioned college protest against an abusive power structure oppressing the masses.

UA Executive Vice President Jim Tressel said the university started looking at its refund policy about two years ago and was surprised by what it found — that it was writing checks for “a significant amount of money” to students who got more aid than they needed to pay their university bills.

Students were using the money to pay for off-campus apartments, books or entertainment. They were stacking scholarships one on top of the other and living in part or whole on refund money they got through the university.

“We can’t afford people to take our UA general fund money off campus for personal use,” said Tressel, who oversees financial aid.

No wonder students wanted Jim Tressel to go. :lol: