UA in the news

USAToday article about Akron and Minnesota opening new stadiums today. Amazing to see a national paper even mention us.
"Akron hosts Morgan State and will play a home game somewhere other than the Rubber Bowl for the first time since the program's inception in 1940"Weren't we playing football before 1940?
Haha, yes i noticed this too. I have to think they meant "since the stadiums opening" or something.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been campaigning for a bridge ever since UA announced that they took over management of Quaker Square.This news makes me happy.
I thought it would make several people happy. (Including me).Specific details are that it has to attach to the second floor of the "hotel" dorm rooms as well as have a ground entry on the Quaker side. Span the 200 ft while maintaining clearance height for trains and have a ground entry on the eastern side of tracks.
Help me to visualize here. Would this bridge in essence connect The Quaker Square Inn at The University of Akron with The UA Performing Arts Hall (aka: E.J. Thomas) or to The Wonder Bread Company and auto parts store?

I've been campaigning for a bridge ever since UA announced that they took over management of Quaker Square.This news makes me happy.
I thought it would make several people happy. (Including me).Specific details are that it has to attach to the second floor of the "hotel" dorm rooms as well as have a ground entry on the Quaker side. Span the 200 ft while maintaining clearance height for trains and have a ground entry on the eastern side of tracks.
Help me to visualize here. Would this bridge in essence connect The Quaker Square Inn at The University of Akron with The UA Performing Arts Hall (aka: E.J. Thomas) or to The Wonder Bread Company and auto parts store?
It will go from the front entrance of the Quaker Square hotel/dorms (not the shops), almost directly across the tracks to the Olson Research Center, which is located between the groundskeepers building and the polymer engineering and substation. Looking at a map, it would sort of be like if you extended the sidewalk on the north side of Bowrey Street next to Quaker Square and put it across the tracks, where it will land next to that round building that looks like a storage tank.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1501...6723&ref=mfAlready over 1300 confirmed guests at the "new" Nightmare on Sumner Street. Anyone know what the ratio of students/undercover cops is supposed to be this year? If it's anything like last years Sumner Fest, then it just gives UA students another reason to go to Athens for Halloween. And that's no good. Ugh...Athens.. :puke:

UA looks to investors for future expansion
''We are looking to use private dollars to build at least three new academic research buildings, three or more additional residence halls and two or three more parking decks,'' he told an audience of about 500 at his annual State of the University address at E.J. Thomas Hall.

''We are looking to use private dollars to build at least three new academic research buildings, three or more additional residence halls and two or three more parking decks,'' he told an audience of about 500 at his annual State of the University address at E.J. Thomas Hall.
Great to hear.... but the last thing our campus needs is MORE buildings... at least thats what I think.Im guessing such expansion would require the university to purchase more properties surrounding the campus...

Great to hear.... but the last thing our campus needs is MORE buildings... at least thats what I think.Im guessing such expansion would require the university to purchase more properties surrounding the campus...
Or replacing some of the old existing buildings with newer, better ones perhaps.

Or replacing some of the old existing buildings with newer, better ones perhaps.
That is more likely. Memorial Hall will be replaced with a new education building, and there are plenty of old buildings on the north side of campus surrounding the Wonder Bread factory that could be replaced with education buildings and dorms, and there is that building next the the business college that is supposed to be replaced with the international business college.

...and there are plenty of old buildings on the north side of campus surrounding the Wonder Bread factory...
and the Wonder Bread factory itself...I'm giving even odds on whether it will collapse before the Rubber Bowl...

and the Wonder Bread factory itself...I'm giving even odds on whether it will collapse before the Rubber Bowl...
I love the bread factory... On those cold winter days when the wind is coming out of the north (inevitably also the days when we get tons of snow), all you can smell is the fresh bread all over north campus.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Someone mentioned that Fox 8 covered the whole alcohol issue at the new stadium. Here's the link to the video.http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-alcohol-sales,0,6625765.story
Thanks.
I have to admit, it was nice to enjoy my bourban and soda in the club level. I hope they do expand the area where alcohol is served this coming season for the sake of students who want to drink. They are allowed to drink elswhere on campus such as in E.J. Thomas so why not the stadium?

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear.... but the last thing our campus needs is MORE buildings... at least thats what I think.

Im guessing such expansion would require the university to purchase more properties surrounding the campus...

Campus boundaries will expand for the purpose of new buildings that won't replace old ones. So, existing green space will not shrink. In fact, green space will expand with campus enhancement. As far as old buildings being replaced. Once Memorial Hall goes, look for Zook to go and possibly Ayer and Crouse to kiss the wrecking ball soon thereafter.

From the Buchtelite:

"Discussions on the construction of a new education building have been ongoing for a number of years. Zook Hall, where the two departments that will be moving currently reside, is outdated and only getting worse."

"It was built in the mid-'60s, so it's a very old building. It was modeled after public schools, and schools have changed radically since then," Shermis said. "It has run its course. We used to joke that it was DNR-do not resuscitate."

No real better place to put this...

In the latest Board actions, the University okayed the purchase of 485 & 501 E. Exchange (this was the proposed site of the Skyway Restaurant).

interesting....

Very interesting.

Very, very, very interesting!!! Gee I wonder what's going to go there??????