UA in the news

I wonder how many winks of the UA eye it took for the owners of Skyway to OK the deal? Why do I all of a sudden have this fear of having monstrous onion ring breath at a future UA basketball game? :P

Skyway onion rings yummmm...just had them for dinner tonight.

wait is Skyway being built or not? I'm confused...

I wonder how many winks of the UA eye it took for the owners of Skyway to OK the deal? Why do I all of a sudden have this fear of having monstrous onion ring breath at a future UA basketball game? :P

According to the Summit County Recorder's office, the parcel on the NE corner of Exchange and Spicer transferred to UA Trustees on 18 Dec 2009.

According to the Summit County Recorder's office, the parcel on the NE corner of Exchange and Spicer transferred to UA Trustees on 18 Dec 2009.

Perfect site for a real on-campus, multi-purpose, "Screw You Mayor, First Energy, University of Akron Arena. He and his "Joe Akrons" can call it a downtown arena just like they call everything north of North Canton, "Downtown".

Perfect site for a real on-campus, multi-purpose, "Screw You Mayor, First Energy, University of Akron Arena. He and his "Joe Akrons" can call it a downtown arena just like they call everything north of North Canton, "Downtown".

Why bury it against the highway? They are probably planning to get the remainder of land between the campus and rt. 8 by eminent domain. They are just avoiding headaches by acquiring the land prior to a new business being constructed. The arena would look much better standing on the site of the plasma center anyway.

It's also possible they are just getting the land for parking... or not.

Why bury it against the highway? They are probably planning to get the remainder of land between the campus and rt. 8 by eminent domain. They are just avoiding headaches by acquiring the land prior to a new business being constructed. The arena would look much better standing on the site of the plasma center anyway.

As much as I want the plasma center moved...wouldn't that be one small a$$ arena if built there? haha It's kinda a small building

As much as I want the plasma center moved...wouldn't that be one small a$$ arena if built there? haha It's kinda a small building

Yes, they can't get rid of Mannie Neemer for quite a while and he and Harry Jackson (Odd Corner) would have to go. Mannie is behind the plasma center and Harry is next to it. We can't touch either of them for a while. No arena will go there, unless we start to build it in 15 or 20 years.

The Skyway site is ideal for the arena. It fits in well with UA's overall plan to have a sports/athletics/recreation sub-campus within the overall UA campus. Just remember, UA started "quietly" buying up land w/o revealing the specific objective when they aquired parcels where the stadium now sits. It's like this: buy now when the opportunity strikes to avoid ED proceedings whenever possible and announce intentions later. It is exactly how UA built its on-campus stadium.

Also, any location next to any highway is not only not buried, it is ideal for exposure and marketing. The location next to the highway showcases the arena to the region as opposed to a location that has more limited and parochial exposure. Why would UA want to showcase a parking deck to the highway/region? The arena being next to the highway makes UA available to many more people than the so-called, Joe Akrons of the area. The highway location is a plum and not a hinderence. It's a brass ring for the university.

Yes, they can't get rid of Mannie Neemer for quite a while and he and Harry Jackson (Odd Corner) would have to go. Mannie is behind the plasma center and Harry is next to it. We can't touch either of them for a while. No arena will go there, unless we start to build it in 15 or 20 years.

UA might not be able to, but someone else could and then in turn sell it to UA.

Just found out there was a shooting at the Plasma Center tonight. Awful news is all I can say, tear down that dang place please someone...seriously it's not even safe

Seconded. It would go a long way towards revitalizing that area. I can't believe the University is allowing that structure to sit there and rot directly across the street from the brand new stadium. Just another reason many students head to Highland Square/The Valley to live.

Sorry, when I said "touch", I was referring to using eminent domain. If Mannie or Harry for that matter, wanted to sell, UA could be a buyer just as much as any other person or entity. So, I guess that could be a possiblility. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a probability. And, while the location would be nice for an arena, I'd rather have a new arena on the same side of the street as the bulk of the campus. Students crossing Exchange to get to their arena seems kind of community college to me.

Just found out there was a shooting at the Plasma Center tonight. Awful news is all I can say, tear down that dang place please someone...seriously it's not even safe

Seconded. It would go a long way towards revitalizing that area. I can't believe the University is allowing that structure to sit there and rot directly across the street from the brand new stadium. Just another reason many students head to Highland Square/The Valley to live.

I couldn't agree with you more. And, I have a feeling that UA people have that place and other seedy establishments in their cross hairs and that the plazma center's days are numbered.

Sorry, when I said "touch", I was referring to using eminent domain. If Mannie or Harry for that matter, wanted to sell, UA could be a buyer just as much as any other person or entity. So, I guess that could be a possiblility. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a probability. And, while the location would be nice for an arena, I'd rather have a new arena on the same side of the street as the bulk of the campus. Students crossing Exchange to get to their arena seems kind of community college to me.

So, community college....

93890.jpg

93890.jpg

Apples and oranges big time!

93890.jpg

Apples and oranges big time!

I'm just saying you better get on their board and say "You can't have that Arena, students will have to cross a street."

:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Been looking for some pictures for the Bridge Design competition (the Quaker Inn Bridge over the tracks) and this all I can find.

MU Junior (and finalist) submitted this concept...

1757.jpg

Also interesting to point out that Forbes magazine has listed the Quaker Inn as one the country's most unique hotels.

UA Article

Been looking for some pictures for the Bridge Design competition (the Quaker Inn Bridge over the tracks) and this all I can find.

MU Junior (and finalist) submitted this concept...

1757.jpg

Also interesting to point out that Forbes magazine has listed the Quaker Inn as one the country's most unique hotels.

UA Article

That design is amazing!!!

I'm still hoping the UA does something more with the Quaker Square Inn. At least they're keeping what, half of it open as a hotel? They really need to get their culinary arts program working in there to open up the old Tavern on the Square (formerly a very nice restaurant) as well as one of the old banquet dining rooms. Quaker Square is just too unique/cool to be used exclusively for a dormitory.

Now the Mayflower on the other hand... It'd be better vacant than it is now.