Mack's Legacy

GP1

CK mentioned the other day we would debate Mack's legacy here at UofA. Well, let's get started with the most important opinion of all....GP1's.As a lifelong Steelers fan, I love stability. When I think of Mack, I think of stability. I don't keep close enough tabs on what goes on in the athletic department as much as I did when I lived in Akron, but everything seemed to function smoothly when he was there.Football - The easy thing to do the past couple of years would have been to fire JD. I absolutely hate constant coaching change (although this is a make or break year for JD). In my 40 years on this Earth, the Steelers have had only three coaches. I like stability. Keeping JD could have also been a result of not having the money to buy him out, but the way we easily roll up debt in this country Mack could have found a way around that. Mack has publicly stood by JD as JD changed his recruiting evaluations and now I think/hope things will turn around this season and we will at least be in the black in the win category. It isn't hard to observe the extremely high turnover in the MAC football coaching ranks to understand that it probably is not the best thing for the league or the schools involved.W. Basketball - Same as football.... It would have been easy to fire Coach Kest after a couple of seasons, but he didn't. Coach Kest has her hands more than full with that program and I think she is up to the challenge. Mack has provided a stable environment for her to make very difficult changes necessary for that program to win. I think they are going in the right direction. I think J. Kest is a very tough coach and that is exactly what the program needs. Kest understands that touchy feely does not win games and she booted the weaklings who were interested in things other than winning.M. Basketball - Mack basically allowed KD to do whatever he wanted to do with the program. That was a good thing. Mack didn't let ego get in the way of a good thing. Mack did his part with the program. Basically, the buses ran on time and that is all the next AD needs to do with the MBB program. Like any good administrator, make sure the buses run on time.Soccer - The program continues to do well. See "the buses running on time" above. I know Mack gets a lot of flack for the game moving from Akron to Chicago last year in the tournament, but some times the NCAA does things no AD can control. Please don't bring up changing conferences at this point. Conferences do not look to bring in good teams to their conference for only one sport. Only desperate conferences such as the MAC allow one sport only participation and it has been horrible for the league.Track - One national champion and a list of accomplishments as long as your arm. This program is doing well.Rifle - See track.Every othe sport - I could really care less and if the great GP1 doesn't care, neither should anyone else.Marketing - I don't like and have never liked the marketing approach of the athletic department. At least Mack got us away from giving away tickets to fill up the rotting mess that was the Rubber Bowl. Unless the MAC improves overall, it is going to become increasingly diffiult to trick people into spending their hard earned money to watch crap. The next guy really has his hads full. Priority #1, the Fear the Roo campaign is stale and was never an original idea of anyone at UofA. Think of something else that is original. If the next AD can't think of anything original, hire a marketing company to think of one for you.Alumni Relations - I have always had a good relationship with the development department from George Van Horne, Gary Bogue, Pat Kreger and Blair Danner. I moved away before getting to know anyone else, but I still stay in touch with Gary, George and Blair. I think they do a good job and even though some of them no longer work in Athletics, they are always happy to take a donation and very thankful for it. Money - I have no idea if they are making more money now or not. ISP was a long overdue addition to the Athletic Department and Mack can be credited with that. I'd like to know more about money.Grade - I think Mack gets a solid "B" for his efforts. He isn't the kind of guy who set the world on fire, but the Mike Thomas stacked the cards in his favor and he didn't do anything to misplay his hand.Stability was the key. Good luck Mack.

Track - One national champion and a list of accomplishments as long as your arm. This program is doing well.Rifle - See track.Every othe sport - I could really care less and if the great GP1 doesn't care, neither should anyone else.
Nice to see that the status of the rifle team has finally risen in the ranks of the great GP! :bow: The biggest difference I noticed (and have mentioned elsewhere) is the reorganization of the academic support services. He brought in Anne Jorgenson to head up advising and then changed the study table set up so Anne heads up the whole academic support. I remember trying to help some of the football players understand their schedule that Shane what's his name gave them, only to find that he had put them in conflicting classes (different classes at the same time) or forgetting to put them in their lab. Shane was single handedly responsible for several athletes becoming academically ineligible. Finally, most people overlook the class attendance policy, but it did have a pretty big impact on both grades and attitude within the department.

GP1's opinion is like a mouth, everybody's got one :D . The great zip37 has to agree with him :D , but I would add a + to GP1's grade. Well stated GP1! :wave:
I think a "B" is about right. He gets all the credit for building the stadium, but not for raising the lion's share of the money. That was done before him. Letting KD do his thing was key, and I totally agree about standing by JD. Brookhart is about as intelligent a guy as you'll find, and no doubt he is open to changing his strategies to succeed. Sometimes I think schools cut coaches loose too soon. But I hope we win big this year.The only thing I think you're forgetting, GP, is that during the time they were giving away all those tickets to the football games, the NCAA was threatening to cut from schools from Division 1A if they didn't have 15K average in the seats. Remember how upset we all were at the NCAA? Very difficult for schools in the north to do, especially when you occasionally have sub-freezing games where you have to shovel the lines. I think that's why they were giving away so many tickets. They had people standing at the turnstiles with counters in their hands to make sure their numbers were accurate. I appreciated that - the fudging of attendance numbers is obvious everywhere (both us and Can't currently do it) and I liked the integrity of counting and not overtly lying about the numbers. The urgent priority there for a time was not dropping from 1A, until the NCAA dropped that requirement. You gotta wonder about the common sense of the NCAA sometimes. Anyway, I was upset Thomas left, and I'm kind of upset Mack's leaving too. I agree on the stability factor. And I forgot about the Akron guy - Burke. Someone should call that guy and gauge his interest.

[Nice to see that the status of the rifle team has finally risen in the ranks of the great GP! :bow:
The great GP1 is an excellent shot with a 20ga shotgun but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a rifle or a pistol. GP1 just doesn't have the patience for a rifle or pistol. I actually really admire what the rifle team does but since I know nothing about the sport, I stay away.

A breath of fresh air from GP1. Thanks for that.I agree in large part to the assessments above, and echo the comments regarding the academic end of things. Most of you know I'm a hoops fan first. Related to that, I think one of Mack's best contributions to the University Athletic Department is reminding it that it is a *UNIVERSITY* Athletic Department. In concert w/ KD's efforts, we no longer get the mid-season Christmas present that is having 2 of the players in the rotation disappear from the roster for a semester or worse.Perhaps the best thing Mack can be remembered for is installing a new order and priority related to things academic. We want our teams to be successful, we want our teams to win championships, and we want our teams to represent the community well. They can't do that if they aren't mindful of the academic responsibilities. Are things perfect? No .. are they better than 4 years ago? IMHO, without question.Second, I think that most of us will never know the details of some of Mack's other contributions. Namely the thawing of relations between City Hall and Buchtel Hall. It's not a blissful situation .. that can be said. But I think from the outside, it's clear that things are improving between The Don and Buchtel Hall. I have on good information that Mack and his team have worked hard to build community here .. and it's starting to pay off. These aren't items in the newspaper every day, but they're very real and they'll have a real impact in the future on the University and the City.Third, there will never be agreement on who deserves what percentage of credit for the INFO. What is certain is that under Mack's watch, the hole got dug .. the yard is nearly built. The project got done. It was a project when he arrived, we all know that. But Mack was hired to be a fund raiser .. that was his primary role coming in as AD. And he did that well. We don't know the numbers exactly .. never will .. but Mack and his team closed the deal and got the stadium underway, and it nears completion. He deserves our thanks for that.I was chatting with a fellow college hoops fan friend of mine the other day, and we spoke about this situation. He said (paraphrasing) .. "that a good AD needs to do the following to be successful: grow the money, grow the wins, grow the GPA, and build something." I think by any objective criteria, Mack did those things while @ UA.Ultimately, I firmly believe that Mack Rhoades was the right guy for UA when we got him. We needed some fund raising, political savvy and a rudder for the academic support of our student athletes. He ably provided all three. For that, I'm grateful. Do I wish he were staying longer, yes. But I can not and will not begrudge him for taking a position closer home to family, in an upstream conference, with a bigger budget and more security for his family. It's not an easy decision, but one I would make the same way as Mack every time. Finally, one thing I think I've learned from family, friends & mentors over the years: We can't do everything in life, all things we attempt aren't always successful. But we CAN make every effort to be a positive influence in any and all situations in which we find ourselves, and leave things better off than how we found them. In my opinion, Mack did that.Thank you Mack for your service and diligence to UA Athletics. Best of luck to you and your family in Houston. Hope to see you at an NCAA Hoops Regional sometime.Go Zips!!

G. Burke's wife did not care for the weather in NE Ohio :blink: -- Graig loved it here and his intrest would probsbly be high but not his wife's. :D What do youn's think about Hunter staying long term?
I think any talk of just moving Hunter up, or getting some "homer" is a complete disservice to our athletic department. Let's see what's out there, let's see who's interested and let the best, brightest, and most visionary person have the job. (if that is Hunter, or Waddell or Burke so be it)

G. Burke's wife did not care for the weather in NE Ohio :blink: -- Graig loved it here and his intrest would probsbly be high but not his wife's. :D What do youn's think about Hunter staying long term?
I think any talk of just moving Hunter up, or getting some "homer" is a complete disservice to our athletic department. Let's see what's out there, let's see who's interested and let the best, brightest, and most visionary person have the job. (if that is Hunter, or Waddell or Burke so be it)
ZW, I just have it on very good authority that most of the major fundraising for the Info was done before Mack walked in the door. I remember close to $20 million had already been raised. Perception might be reality but I don't think that was factual. But he does get ALL the credit in my opinion for gettin 'er done. That was one big project.I don't suggest Burke as a "homer" but rather that Burke, who by all accounts seems to be accomplished and experienced, ALSO is from Akron and thus might not be another three to five year guy. He looks like an opportunity to have that combination of both experience and stability. That's all.

I don't suggest Burke as a "homer" but rather that Burke, who by all accounts seems to be accomplished and experienced, ALSO is from Akron and thus might not be another three to five year guy. He looks like an opportunity to have that combination of both experience and stability. That's all.
If you suggest Burke for what he accomplished than please tell me what he accomplished. From what I can find he has accomplished a very comfortable 13 yr job with Northwestern State University in Louisiana. Where his brilliant idea for increasing ticket sales is a money back guarantee. And there most recent large crowd was 2004 with a respectable 14,000?To me, 13 years at one school screems lack of ambition. Or simply the Peter Principle. He has risen to the level of his incompetence. Again, I could be overly harsh, but when I'm looking for someone to continue building a program I am not going to look for anyone with ties to an era of athletic ineptitude.

Football attendance during Mack's tenure:2006: 161322007: 169422008: 11,952Why is it that the Rubber Bowl's last season, with a more favorable schedule including a BCS home game saw such terrible attendance?
really bad football combined with really bad records makes really bad attendance.

Football attendance during Mack's tenure:2006: 161322007: 169422008: 11,952Why is it that the Rubber Bowl's last season, with a more favorable schedule including a BCS home game saw such terrible attendance?
really bad football combined with really bad records makes really bad attendance.
Maybe, but 2007 had a 4-8 record and the highest attendance. 2008 a better record with more significant games (Cinci, last RB game) but the worst attendance. It's the opposite of what you're saying.2006 can be attributed to winning the MAC championship the previous year.

I'm curious where you are pulling statistics from. From what I can find the 2008 attendance was 14342. the worst game was Ball St with 9014 mostly because of a very heavy rainstorm. 2007 the attendance was 16355, but the Cleveland Browns Stadium game against Army can hardly be counted as "home attendance" so for 4 games the average attendance was 15977. Hardly the drop offs you are showing.

Every othe sport - I could really care less and if the great GP1 doesn't care, neither should anyone else.
I'm sorry, but this comment really bothers me and since you have every right to say what you want, as well as I, I would just like to call you out and say, speak for yourself. No hard feelings though, just don't tell me what sports to root for.

Every othe sport - I could really care less and if the great GP1 doesn't care, neither should anyone else.
I'm sorry, but this comment really bothers me and since you have every right to say what you want, as well as I, I would just like to call you out and say, speak for yourself. No hard feelings though, just don't tell me what sports to root for.
As an aside, I do wish we had a stronger baseball program.

I think he was kidding. Kind of. Maybe.