Tailgating

I haven't heard much about tailgating for this Fall. With 5 Saturday home games, and one on a Friday, has anybody started to get plans together for tailgating? So far I;ve gleaned the following:1) Several months ago there was talk of an "official" lot somewhere in the student slums near the old softball field.2) In the latest discussions of beer at the Info, some poster mentioned that the university and APD were leaning toward a "common sense" provision regarding tailgating, something along the lines of plastic cups being acceptable to patrolling police, but no clearly open alcohol containers, a sort of don't ask don't tell container situation.3) Grillers who have tailgated in the past, what are your thoughts about charcoal versus propane for grilling? I much prefer charcoal, but am not sure about handling coals at the end of a cookout in the tailgating situation.Any updates, plans, rumor control, etc.?STZ

Well, I haven't heard of anything "Official" about where people will be allowed to tailgate. I have my preference and my location already picked out. I will be there EARLY on Sept. 12th and if the University and/or APD don't make any announcements, I'm doing it the way I did it at the RB. As for Charcoal vs. Propane, I prefer charcoal for taste, but propane is the way to go in terms of convienence. I bought a propane camp stove about 10 years ago and that thing done an amazing job. Just remember, if you are using propane to heat water for your Irish Coffee or Hot Chocolate tailgating early in the morning in a raging blizzard, that the propane needs to be at a certain temperature to vaporize. We were lucky in that we had enough warm water sitting around to get the process moving.

Well, I haven't heard of anything "Official" about where people will be allowed to tailgate. I have my preference and my location already picked out. I will be there EARLY on Sept. 12th and if the University and/or APD don't make any announcements, I'm doing it the way I did it at the RB. As for Charcoal vs. Propane, I prefer charcoal for taste, but propane is the way to go in terms of convienence. I bought a propane camp stove about 10 years ago and that thing done an amazing job. Just remember, if you are using propane to heat water for your Irish Coffee or Hot Chocolate tailgating early in the morning in a raging blizzard, that the propane needs to be at a certain temperature to vaporize. We were lucky in that we had enough warm water sitting around to get the process moving.
Is this you?hankbbq.jpg

Is this you?hankbbq.jpg
Close. I have 2 kids and a gut but I do have a charcoal grill at home. The only propane grill I have is my camp stove.

I remember you talking about tailgating just outside shrank, but just an fyi, they're doing some parking garage project down in that area so that lot has also been turned into the access way to get into the actual shrank garage. I don't know if you're still thinking that lot, but you might want to do some checking around to make sure it's still going to be available etc.

I remember you talking about tailgating just outside shrank, but just an fyi, they're doing some parking garage project down in that area so that lot has also been turned into the access way to get into the actual shrank garage. I don't know if you're still thinking that lot, but you might want to do some checking around to make sure it's still going to be available etc.
Good call, looks Like I'll need to make a scouting run to Akron in August so see what the deal is.

Good call, looks Like I'll need to make a scouting run to Akron in August so see what the deal is.
I just drove past there. If you were planning on tailgating anywhere near Shrank, it's been turned into a giant construction site.

I just drove past there. If you were planning on tailgating anywhere near Shrank, it's been turned into a giant construction site.
There is plenty of room in that long parking lot behind the chapel that runs parallel to route 8. It is kinda close to the stadium and has potential to be a good time because of the layout. It will also be easy to spot cops and is owned by the University. Plenty of room for chairs, grills, and cornhole. Plus it would not tie up premium parking.

BW-3's,WKDD,WAKR and WQMX will be hosting a tailgate party with live music. :CK_brew:
Where are the radio stations going to be? Just in the regular parking lots or something? :screwks:
They will be at BW-3's. Bw-3 has secured some extra parking areas to accomodate the crowds they hope come for pre and post game partying.

BW-3's,WKDD,WAKR and WQMX will be hosting a tailgate party with live music. :CK_brew:
Where are the radio stations going to be? Just in the regular parking lots or something? :screwks:
They will be at BW-3's. Bw-3 has secured some extra parking areas to accomodate the crowds they hope come for pre and post game partying.
OH NO!!! This could be like Hineygate!! Protect the woman and children!

While I dont know for a fact I have to doubt this rumor. WKDD is clearchannel(as is foxsports 1350). WAKR and WQMX are rubber city radio. Those two companies hate each other with a passion and NEVER EVER do any remotes or special events together. Thats not to say that WKDD wouldnt be doing something- possibly with BDubbs but AKR and QMX aredoubtful. They dont do UA games on radio and its more likely their sister station (or brother station)WONE would do a tailgate party. I like the idea of someone hooking up bith OBC or Barleyhouse on the street in front of Info. The lot at BW3 is pretty small and has more craters than the moon.

While I dont know for a fact I have to doubt this rumor. WKDD is clearchannel(as is foxsports 1350). WAKR and WQMX are rubber city radio. Those two companies hate each other with a passion and NEVER EVER do any remotes or special events together. Thats not to say that WKDD wouldnt be doing something- possibly with BDubbs but AKR and QMX aredoubtful. They dont do UA games on radio and its more likely their sister station (or brother station)WONE would do a tailgate party. I like the idea of someone hooking up bith OBC or Barleyhouse on the street in front of Info. The lot at BW3 is pretty small and has more craters than the moon.
Duh, bad typo on my part. Of course I ment Wone, not Kdd. ;)B)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking tht if we all show up in lot 14 and create a tradition, they will start gearing all the activities towards us.It's up to us to make gameday into something special, and then the university can react to that. We're the ones who will create the traditions, and it starts on Sept 12th. Keep that in mind when we're all planning on what to do for gameday. If we choose Lot 34, is there a place to put other stuff and create a gameday environment? Not really. I think Lot 14 offers more potential thanks to its location. It's right across the street from the Union walkway through campus that leads straight to the Info, and you can put all sorts of stuff along that corridor. You can walk down that sidewalk, the Info's press tower in view in profile the whole time. There's a big, shady grass area right across the street next to Olin to tailgate in. It just seems like a better spot than lot 34 to build something special around.What do you guys think?

I'm thinking tht if we all show up in lot 14 and create a tradition, they will start gearing all the activities towards us.It's up to us to make gameday into something special, and then the university can react to that. We're the ones who will create the traditions, and it starts on Sept 12th. Keep that in mind when we're all planning on what to do for gameday. If we choose Lot 34, is there a place to put other stuff and create a gameday environment? Not really. I think Lot 14 offers more potential thanks to its location. It's right across the street from the Union walkway through campus that leads straight to the Info, and you can put all sorts of stuff along that corridor. You can walk down that sidewalk, the Info's press tower in view in profile the whole time. There's a big, shady grass area right across the street next to Olin to tailgate in. It just seems like a better spot than lot 34 to build something special around.What do you guys think?
I think right now, I'm going to wait for the Tailgating info to come out. I've looked at the aerial maps of 14 and 34, and I agree 14 has the edge w/r to location, but 34 is larger, more nearby green areas (though small) and more of what I remember as being on campus. I hope they do something cool for people who want to tailgate and we aren't relegated to the parking lot behind the art building.