2nd 5

Pete Freeman

Larry Jenkins

Randy Barentz

Romeo Travis

Frank Thompson

Best walk-on (tie) Mike Dowdell Jerry Sloan :D

With ball ammuniti0on lock and load.

Great question zipsfaninca.......and a very tough question.....

Not sure where zips37 was during the Huggins era, but here we go.

I became a Zip in the fall of '84, so while J. Jakubick may be the schools'

greatest player, he simply doesn't qualify for my list.

Picking 10 is difficult.....my list actually consists of a top one and nine others.

The single greatest player since Joe J. is none other than #21 out of Lynchburg, Virginia-

Maaaaaarrrrrrrccccccccceeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Boyce.

How zips37overlooked this guy is unbelievable! While he only played 2 years, there may never have been two greater years. Led the team in scoring and rebounding both years and ended #6 on the career blocked shots list. Never had a bad game--some were just better than others. BTW-favorite Zip of all-time.

2. Eric McLaughlin

3. Shawn Roberts

4.Jimmal Ball

5.Ryan Andrick

6. Darryl Peterson

7. Roshon Brown

8. Jami Bosley

9. George Phillips

10. Bryan Roth

Again, very difficult to do and my last 8 are interchangeable. While Boyce was out of this world for 2 years...Ball and Phillips playing four years carried a lot of weight. Roshon Brown's two years may have been better than any two of Jimmal's, but that is up for debate. Darryl Peterson's first two years were as good as any pure frosh and soph's.....junior year was somewhat dissapointing..looking forward to player of the year type play this year.

The disappointing ends' to the seasons under Bosley and Phillips clearly impact them at the bottom of the list.... The play of Bryan Roth was so long ago my memory has faded, but he still makes the list .........Talent wise, Anthony Buford is a top three, but he left after his junior year so screw him....he is out. The players under Coleman Crawford--Freeman and Coleman simply do not make the list. Finally, Travis and Wood may join the list, just not at this time.

Go Zips!

Great question zipsfaninca.......and a very tough question.....

Not sure where zips37 was during the Huggins era, but here we go.

I became a Zip in the fall of '84, so while J. Jakubick may be the schools'

greatest player, he simply doesn't qualify for my list.

Picking 10 is difficult.....my list actually consists of a top one and nine others.

The single greatest player since Joe J. is none other than #21 out of Lynchburg, Virginia-

Maaaaaarrrrrrrccccccccceeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Boyce.

How zips37overlooked this guy is unbelievable! While he only played 2 years, there may never have been two greater years. Led the team in scoring and rebounding both years and ended #6 on the career blocked shots list. Never had a bad game--some were just better than others. BTW-favorite Zip of all-time.

2. Eric McLaughlin

3. Shawn Roberts

4.Jimmal Ball

5.Ryan Andrick

6. Darryl Peterson

7. Roshon Brown

8. Jami Bosley

9. George Phillips

10. Bryan Roth

Again, very difficult to do and my last 8 are interchangeable. While Boyce was out of this world for 2 years...Ball and Phillips playing four years carried a lot of weight. Roshon Brown's two years may have been better than any two of Jimmal's, but that is up for debate. Darryl Peterson's first two years were as good as any pure frosh and soph's.....junior year was somewhat dissapointing..looking forward to player of the year type play this year.

The disappointing ends' to the seasons under Bosley and Phillips clearly impact them at the bottom of the list.... The play of Bryan Roth was so long ago my memory has faded, but he still makes the list .........Talent wise, Anthony Buford is a top three, but he left after his junior year so screw him....he is out. The players under Coleman Crawford--Freeman and Coleman simply do not make the list. Finally, Travis and Wood may join the list, just not at this time.

Go Zips!

I'm 99% sure I know who Zips Win! is. If he is who I think he is, his list should become the "Official Top Ten Zips Basketball Players" list. He never misses a game and knows Zips basketball like the back of his hand. Good work Zips Win!

#1 - Jukubik: Never saw him play, but if he led the nation in scoring, he's gotta be #1.

#2 - Bill Turner: Only Zips player to play in the NBA. Again, never saw him play, but he had to be very good.

#3 - Eric McLaughlin - Best Zips guard...probably the best player I've seen in the past 20 years.

#4 - Marcel Boyce - Who would have thought that the #4 all time Zips hoops player would have the same first name as the #1256th all time Zips hoops intramural player? Uncanny coincidence! :D

#5 - Jamie Bosley (years 2-3, but not 4): A scoring machine that played great D. Too bad Hipsher burnt him out...like so many others)

#6 - Anthony Buford: Would have ranked higher if he wouldn't have transferred to Cinci for his senior year. He could do it all.

#7 - Roy Coleman - Anyone that could score 20 points under Coleman Crawford's offensive tutilage MUST have been great.

#8 - Pete Freeman - Huggins departure screwed him. He was a monster inside, much like Wood is now.

#9 - Rashon Brown - Only played one year, but single-handedly won 4-5 games for us.

#10 - Bryan Hipsher - Known as "The Glove" for his suffocating defense, he was always asked to guard the opponent's toughest player. Equally effective and guard, forward or center. His gravity-defying aerial show was awe-inspiring to behold.

Honorable Mention: Nate Schindewolf, Mark Alberts, Shawn Roberts

Don't Know What to do with Him: Jimal Ball

Best Player to Play One Game then Quit: Neerim Gembolai

Class Acts: George Phillips, Byron Thompson

Overachiever: Mario Collins

Best Walkon: Goddard

Future Top 10-er's: Wood, Travis, Conyers

Best Fans: Tie

1.) The students chanting "LOSE-SOME-WEIGHT LOSE-SOME-WEIGHT" every time MTSU's Kerry Hammond went to the foul line in the 1986 OVC Championship Game.

1-Tie) Any fan who could sit through the torture of Coleman Crawford's final 3 years.

Best Fighter: Tie

1.) Ryan Andrick: Who could ever forget "The Spar at The JAR!?" The debate still rages over landed the best shot...I say "Thunder Dan Hipsher" should have been awarded the decision. I had him ahead 114-111 when the referee's stopped the bout.

2.) David Wood: The 27ppg scorer from Tennessee who gave the big beat-down to his team mate with a folding chair in the locker room. :chair: (has there ever been a more appropriate "smilie?") He would have been ranked #1, but the beat-down only resulted in a broken arm.

Most Deceptive Zip: Falknor - 300 lbs, but deadly from 20 - 29 feet.

Best Garbage Man: Doug Schutz (Wood should supplant him in a year).

Best Football/Basketball Player: Tie

1.) Chris Kelley

1-tie) Jason Taylor

Best Locker: Huggin's Liquor Cabinet. :cheers:

• Like 1

Buckzip, I left Marcel Boyce out because off the top of my head, I forgot about him, I was there during the Huggins era, Webb era, Cunniungham era, Adams era, Rupert era,

Laterza era, and 4 yrs of Hipsher era, so I was there. I also forgot B. Westover, Jim Abrams, Junior Carroll, Bill Stevens, Harvey Glover and a couple of others, but I still stand by my original picks, after all, it's still a semi-free country, note the semi-free.

:D

With ball ammunition lock and load.

The worst BRIAN-DUO ever...

BRIAN WOOD

BRIAN HIPSHER

The worst BROTHER-DUO ever...

Brian Hipsher

Andy Hipsher

The worst FAMILY ever...

Again... The Hipshers

The worst big man ever...

MATT SEIBERT - 7-1 and had a gut, simply awful

The worst little man ever...

Mark Alberts

Don't know how you can say that NICK GODDARD is anywhere near the best walk-on ever... simply a stupid comment. He never plays in games that matter, never plays defense, and has the talent equivalent of a circus side show freak. Just shooting the lights out against D-III teams means nothing. Drew Joyce WAS a walk-on his first year, so he get the nod easily over the Pride of Wadsworth.

:nono:

• 14 years later...

It's tough to make a decision on this until I see how this year's team plays over the next month.

I don't think we've had a player with the "coolness" of Tyler Cheese.  He reminds me so much of Buffalo's  Jeremy Harris.

LCJ's performance this year is like nothing I've previously seen on an Akron team.  They've had some good players over the years that could shoot the 3 ball but none ever seemed to improve from year to year.  Reggie and Jake played the same for four years.  Occasionally, they would get hot for a couple games but weren't consistent.  McNees and Roberts were somewhat better, but I don't remember Roberts making the big play other than from the FT line.  Bosley, Andrick, Ball, and the Hipshers are my earliest memories and that is a blur.

I'd find it tough to include Cheese as he only had two years. If we're ranking the 10 "best" as opposed to the 10 greatest careers you could definitely make an argument. That's where these things always get tricky.

I'm just excited to watch LCJ for another year +. I hesitate to say we're spoiled because things haven't been that good, but we're lucky. Even since I got to campus in 07 we've had a tremendous top 10 or so:

JWood

Zeke

LCJ

Cheese

McNees

Big Dog

Ivey

Tree

Conyers

McKnight brothers

Linhart

Dials

In no order

Edited by zippy5

A lot of great players have played in Akron since 2005, here's my now top ten. To me longevity counts as well. One great year does not an all-time Zip make. I didn't see all of these guys so some I'm just making guesses.

1. Len Paul (second all time in scoring and fifth in rebounding despite not being able to play as a freshman and no three point shot)

2. Joe Jakubick (can't leave the all time scorer off the list and still ninth in assists and second in steals)

3. Bill Turner (5th in scoring 4th in rebounds)

4. Eric McLaughlin (third all time in scoring and second in assists, dynamic player)

5. Romeo Travis (Absolute stud, 7th all time in points ninth in rebounds second in blocked shots)

6. Jimmal Ball (as fun a player as there was to watch, 6th in scoring, 4th in assists and 1st in steals)

7. Don Williams (never saw him play but anyone who is still 8th all time in scoring and second in rebounding despite only having three years and no three point shot deserves a spot)

8. Zeke Marshall (Best defender I've ever seen in a Zips uniform changed offenses just by his presence, all time blocked shots leader (also in MAC history), more than double #2 on the list, top 20 in points and rebounds)

9. Fred Golding (all time leading rebounder, 20th in scoring in three years)

10. Alex Adams (9th in scoring and 7th in rebounds, three years)

HM. Dru Joyce/Jeremiah Wood/Isaiah Johnson and 20 other guys  ?

I do think another year from LCJ like this year and he takes over a top ten spot.

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MDZip said:

A lot of great players have played in Akron since 2005, here's my now top ten. To me longevity counts as well. One great year does not an all-time Zip make. I didn't see all of these guys so some I'm just making guesses.

1. Len Paul (second all time in scoring and fifth in rebounding despite not being able to play as a freshman and no three point shot)

2. Joe Jakubick (can't leave the all time scorer off the list and still ninth in assists and second in steals)

4. Eric McLaughlin (third all time in scoring and second in assists, dynamic player)

5. Romeo Travis (Absolute stud, 7th all time in points ninth in rebounds second in blocked shots)

6. Jimmal Ball (as fun a player as there was to watch, 6th in scoring, 4th in assists and 1st in steals)

7. Don Williams (never saw him play but anyone who is still 8th all time in scoring and second in rebounding despite only having three years and no three point shot deserves a spot)

8. Zeke Marshall (Best defender I've ever seen in a Zips uniform changed offenses just by his presence, all time blocked shots leader, more than double #2 on the list, top 20 in points and rebounds)

I do think another year from LCJ like this year and he takes over a top ten spot.

Out of curiosity, where can one find Akron's all-time leaders in stat categories? 

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

8. Zeke Marshall (Best defender I've ever seen in a Zips uniform changed offenses just by his presence, all time blocked shots leader (also in MAC history), more than double #2 on the list, top 20 in points and rebounds)

I think you nailed it. Remember Turner played in the NBA, and Williams possibly could have but he tried out for the NFL instead.

There was also an old time guy named Fritz Nagy who was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to just go ahead and admit that LCJ is the best Zip I've ever seen play.  I'm still biased against him due to his size, and, because of that, I still don't think he'll have a pro career anywhere.  But I've got to admit that I think he's playing at a level even an notch above where others on my all-timers-list were playing when they wore the blue & gold.  

Comparing bigs with guards is apples and oranges.  But, having said that, my list looks like this:

1. LCJ

2. Rome

3. Wood

4. Jimmal Ball

5. Zeke Marshall

6. Jamie Bosley

7. Tree

8. Quincy Diggs

9. Dru Joyce III

10. Tron Jenkins

For reference, I began watching Zips basketball religiously during the last year of the Coleman Crawford era.

Edited by Blue & Gold

4 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm going to have to just go ahead and admit that LCJ is the best Zip I've ever seen play.  I'm still biased against him due to his size, and, because of that, I still don't think he'll have a pro career anywhere.  But I've got to admit that I think he's playing at a level even an notch above where others on my all-timers-list were playing when they wore the blue & gold.  

Comparing bigs with guards is apples and oranges.  But, having said that, my list looks like this:

1. LCJ

2. Rome

3. Wood

4. Jimmal Ball

5. Zeke Marshall

6. Jamie Bosley

7. Tree

8. Q (what's-his-name shooting guard who didn't get along with Tree)

9. Dru Joyce III

10. Tron Jenkins

For reference, I began watching Zips basketball religiously during the last year of the Coleman Crawford era.

Quincy Diggs

• Thanks 1