Zeke Marshall named top Freshman

zipper

It is big time that Zeke and the Zips are showing up on more national radar screens.There was more good stuff in a Sept. 9 column by Jeff Goodman, senior college basketball writer for Fox Sports, but the link is apparently broken. I'll include the link below in case it gets fixed, but will also include the portion of text from the column dealing with Zeke and the Zips as found in a Google search cache:Fox Sports LinkBIG MAN IS "X" FACTOR FOR AKRONBig guys like Zeke Marshall don't come along often in the MAC.Akron coach Keith Dambrot has been forced to go with undersized post players such as 6-foot-6 Jeremiah Wood and Romeo Travis in the past. Now he'll have a new dimension with 7-foot, 215-pound freshman Zeke Marshall. "We've never had anyone like him – someone that can cover our mistakes," Dambrot said. Marshall comes into the program as the most heralded and highly rated recruit arguably in the history of the school. "I've been impressed with him so far," Dambrot said. "He's better offensively than I thought. He's not strong in the weight room but is deceptively strong and can keep people off him.""He runs like a gazelle, but he's got a good touch and that was surprising," he added. "I think he's got a chance to be a pro."Akron may be the hip pick to win the league after taking the conference tournament last season and returning the McKnight brothers – Brett and Chris – and also its top four guards.However, Dambrot would like to see someone on the team emerge – potentially guard Anthony Hitchens – as a go-to guy down the stretch.

The timing on getting to the tournament combined wityh Zeke's arrival has been perfect. So we get a little notoriety from making the tournament and then people notice we also have an excellent recruit to match up with the most of the players returning from last year. I would just like a mention in one of these articles how smart he is, seeing as how he picked Akron just as much for the academic program.

The timing on getting to the tournament combined wityh Zeke's arrival has been perfect. So we get a little notoriety from making the tournament and then people notice we also have an excellent recruit to match up with the most of the players returning from last year. I would just like a mention in one of these articles how smart he is, seeing as how he picked Akron just as much for the academic program.
One of these days Im gonna sit down and have lunch with him. Every day i see him eating when I am taking lunch over in Polsky. Knowing he's doing computer science intersts me even more. smart, smart kid who just happens to be 7 foot tall and tosses a basketball around.

Looked to me as if Zeke was very slightly favoring his right leg, something you almost wouldn't notice unless you were looking closely. Slightly twisted ankle, maybe? I don't think it's uncommon for athletes to get minor dings while practicing that quickly heal. So it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

Looked to me as if Zeke was very slightly favoring his right leg, something you almost wouldn't notice unless you were looking closely. Slightly twisted ankle, maybe? I don't think it's uncommon for athletes to get minor dings while practicing that quickly heal. So it's probably nothing to be concerned about.
Also, if you saw him in a walking boot, well, those D-1 athletes get better treatment & more pampering than any of the rest of us. If he did have a slight ankle sprain, they might put him in a boot for a day or two, whereas they'd tell you or me to just walk it off. Lol.