Radio Free Ohio??

Zippy989

Anybody else not excited that the Zips games are now on a politically slanted radio station?? see links..

Go Zips

gozips says deal is extended through 2008-2009 season.

Radio Free Ohio Web Site 1350 AM

Radio Free Ohio 1350 AM is the home of Al Franken, Bill Press, etc

1300 WERE AM CLEVELAND

I would be equally unhappy if we were on 640 AM as well ... Home of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity...

If I remember correctly Can't State is on 640.. yup

From Can't website:

http://www.kentstatesports.com/index.php?s...rticle_id=68#fb

"FOOTBALL RADIO BROADCASTS:

Beginning this season, the excitement of Can't State football will fill the airwaves across northeast Ohio on WHLO-AM 640 in Akron, WHK-AM 1420 in Clevenland and WHKW-AM 1440 in Youngstown. "

640 AM WHLO

Can't State sports brodcasts on a conservative talk radio station? Tell me that's not funny :rofl:

So it's the Liberal Zips vs the Conservative Golden flushes??

Anybody else not excited that the Zips games are now on a politically slanted radio station??  see links..

No. I couldn't care less if the Zips were on Nazi radio, as long as there on.

If the broadcast is clear and strong I am happy. I don't listen to any of that

other crap anyway. If you don't like it, turn it off. This is America.

As far as anything having to do with Can't on the radio..... :screwks:

I would like to see the university get a deal with WTAM 1100. That station is probably the largest in the midwest. If greater numbers of people have an opportunity to hear you, then I've got to believe that can only help recruiting and increase your fan base. :thumb:

I would like to see the university get a deal with WTAM 1100. That station is probably the largest in the midwest. If greater numbers of people have an opportunity to hear you, then I've got to believe that can only help recruiting and increase your fan base. :thumb:

Yeah, and they have Limbaugh, and Springer.

Meaning they have both ends of the wacko spectrum.

1100 would be way too expensive for UA

Per the Beacon on 7/6/05, Fox Sports Radio is now on WJMP in Can't. For some reason the Beacon thinks 1520 is an Akron station when they broadcast from Can't. I tried tuning it in and you can't even get a signal on Route 8 south of Howe Ave.

Fox Sports on 1520 AM

The Fox Sports Radio Network and the nationally syndicated Jim Rome radio show is now broadcasting on WJMP 1520-AM in Akron...

Fox Sports Radio programming formerly had been heard on 1350-AM in the Akron market.

Why would 640 WHLO broadcast a Can't game, shouldn't they switch affiliates to 1520? I think they are just wasting air time in Akron broadcasting a Can't game. :zzz:

BTW. "The Big One" already broadcast Buckeye games, it would be sweet to steal those air waves though.

On a side note, I never noticed before but it is pretty slick how when you type "K-E-N-T" you automatically turn it to "Can't." I just always typed as "Can't."

You cannot hear 640 at night outside of Stark County. AM Radio Stations drop power at sunset, making 640 a bad station for night games. Most football and basketball games are at night.

Radio Stations do not pay colleges to broadcast games. Not at the MAC level anyway.

If Akron U was going to spend big dollars on radio they would get rid of the bozos doing the games. French and Dunn are embarrassing.

FYI...

1350 AM is a 5KW station, 24/7.

640 AM is a 10KW station during the day, but 1KW at night.

Akron U used to be on 640AM years ago, but wanted to get a more consistent signal and moved to 1350AM.

Can't State's football games are on 640AM, but their basketball games are on 100.1 FM. They jump stations from season to season.

Akron football games are also on WERE-AM in Cleveland and WNPQ-FM in Canton/Tuscawaras County. Basketball games are only on 1350-AM. I am told this is due to cost. Both men's and women's games are on 1350-AM.

640 always blew chunks. In the Cleveland area 1350 comes in great usually better than 1300. I can think of 2 dozen people over the last 2 years who told me at work they were flipping around and picked up a Zips game or Zips live on 1350. Good to see that we are staying with them.

On a side note, any word on if the Joe Dunn will continue on Monday nights. It got to the point toward the end of basketball where it turned into an Akron Zip call in show, not university sponsered so much more banter. I really enjoyed it. It was also good to hear the Zips 5 nights a week in Jan and Feb between the Joe Dunn show, Zips Live, and men and women's basketball.