Dakotah Euton

I just spent some time watching all of the YouTube videos on Euton, and now have a better understanding of where both the compliments and critiques are coming from.He's not athletic in the sense that he doesn't have great vertical leap or dazzling speed.But he makes up for that with heart and effort. He reacts quickly, and he's always running at full speed, so he's often the first or second player down the court on an offensive or defensive fast break. He gets good position and has good timing to get rebounds over players who can jump higher. His ball-handling and passing are above average for a big man, and he's always looking for the open man. He can mix it up inside or pop it in from mid-to-long range.I'm guessing he has a heart like Linhart, but more size and better all-around skills. From all I can find out, he's a true team player with strong family ties and personal values. I think he would be a big asset to the Zips team, and that he would benefit from playing in the UA program under KD.I like him a lot, and would love to see him in the frontcourt alongside Zeke.
+1I'm reminded of a very funny commercial .. don't remember what it was for or if it was national or not. Now, I'm not comparing Euton to Bird .. it's not fair to him .. But when I lived in NE for awhile there was this comercial where a bunch of guys are in a bar .. and watching a Celtics game with the announcer playing, Bird makes a bunch of great plays .. announcer hear to say "Bird hits the shot .. Steal by bird .. etc .. until the announcer says "Bird Dunks!!" ... at which time the guys in the bar reply incredulously ... "Bird Dunks??!!!" Not calling out Euton as the next Bird .. but there can be good players at every level that aren't the most athletic at that level. Basketball sense, vision, hardwork and a great shot can overcome lots.Come to town Dakotah .. we'd love to have you .. and you'd be a big part of some huge NCAA tournament runs. You'll play over 120 games as a Zip. Good luck & Go Zips!!!B) B)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished checking some other Kentucky college sports forums. Apparently the negatives from the UK boards have spread across the state, as there is a lot of disrespect for Mr. Euton among Kentucky BB fans. There's not much enthusiasm at all for him even on the EKU forum.My best guess is Dakotah was an early bloomer in both size and talent, and fans developed high expectations that he just couldn't meet. Sports fans being a fickle bunch, they turned on him after he couldn't live up to early expectations of being the next Larry Bird by his senior year in HS. So I think it's important if he chooses UA for Zips fans not to have unrealistic expectations. He's a solid team player, not a superstar.But we're used to that, right? KD is a team coach who stresses team play and not individual stardom. Dakotah wouldn't be expected to carry the rest of the team on his shoulders any more than Zeke is expected to. It's how all the players mesh together that will determine how far the Zips can go.After reading some of those comments, I can understand why Dakotah's father quit reading sports forums. I hope the family comes to the decision that playing outside of the state of Kentucky away from all those negative fans might be the healthiest move for Dakotah.

There is nothing harder than to try to please a UK basketball fan-- it's sorta like trying to please an OSWho football fan i.e. National Championship is the only thing that pleases both. High expectations are one thing but unrealistic expectations are another. :screwks:

Not calling out Euton as the next Bird .. but there can be good players at every level that aren't the most athletic at that level. Basketball sense, vision, hardwork and a great shot can overcome lots.
I love discussions of what makes great players great. Bird was all of the above plus two very important personality traits. The first was toughness...Bird played with injuries that most would not and teammates get picked up by that. Bird played with back pain that would land most people in the hospital.Secondly and most importantly, Bird was like all great players in that he hated to lose more than he liked to win. The down great players feel after losing is greater than the high they feel after winning. They expect to win and will break their back to win.

I also found another story where the father visited a UK sports forum where his son was being trashed.
Just one of several reasons we should be careful in bringing up stuff about recruits before they're signed sealed and delivered. I've been around forums long enough to know some people just want to argue about every detail they don't already know, open-mouth-and-insert-foot because they DON'T have all the facts, or start a pissing match because we're reluctant to bring them up in the first place.Wow this kid would look good lined up with Zeke...

I also found another story where the father visited a UK sports forum where his son was being trashed.
Just one of several reasons we should be careful in bringing up stuff about recruits before they're signed sealed and delivered. I've been around forums long enough to know some people just want to argue about every detail they don't already know, open-mouth-and-insert-foot because they DON'T have all the facts, or start a pissing match because we're reluctant to bring them up in the first place.Wow this kid would look good lined up with Zeke...
I have known something about this kid for several months, but I can't tell you guys about it. It's the kind of thing we don't discuss outside the team. :rofl:

Here's the latest, posted just 20 minutes ago when I found it, in the Louisville Courier-Journal. EKY may have wanted his decision by today, but this lengthy story is still saying the decision will come in the next few weeks:Louisville Courier-Journal Link
I read this story at 9 this morning after Watcher suggested in this thread that we Google Euton's name. This suggests that the interview took place no later than yesterday which still gives him all of today to meet the EKU time line.

I guess it was just updated 20 minutes ago, then. In any case, the earlier statement in this forum about EKY wanting a commitment no later than today from a player who hasn't yet played his first game as a HS senior just seems odd to me. There was no link to any online reference, so there's no way to know how to evaluate the validity of that statement. If it came from a KY sports forum, for example, I certainly would take it with a huge grain of salt. So I have to go with the professional interview quoting Dakotah and his father that says the final decision is still weeks away.So far I haven't been able to find any anti-Dakotah trash talking on any Ohio sports forums. ;)

I guess it was just updated 20 minutes ago, then. In any case, the earlier statement in this forum about EKY wanting a commitment no later than today from a player who hasn't yet played his first game as a HS senior just seems odd to me. There was no link to any online reference, so there's no way to know how to evaluate the validity of that statement. If it came from a KY sports forum, for example, I certainly would take it with a huge grain of salt. So I have to go with the professional interview quoting Dakotah and his father that says the final decision is still weeks away.So far I haven't been able to find any anti-Dakotah trash talking on any Ohio sports forums. ;)
Not odd at all. Happens all the time where a coach will only leave an offer open for a certain amount of time to accept or else they are moving on. It's all about leverage and tryingt to get the committment.As for him having only to Tuesday to make a decison on EKU, that is coming from different sources who are supposedly "close" to the situation. Not sure if Tuesday is in fact the supposed "deadline", or if they were referring to this past Tuesday or this coming Tuesday, but judging on Euton's comments on both coaches at Akron and EKU wanting a decision soon and him deciding to cancel his remaining visits, it seems that a "deadline" has been set for his decision.

I'd still like to see a specific reference on exactly where that Tuesday decision speculation is coming from.Speculation is an odd critter. Everyone seems to have a friend who has a cousin who has a next door neighbor who has inside information about something.On the EKU boards, the only reference to EKU wanting the decision by Tuesday points to the reference on ZN in this thread.And on the Murray State boards, someone with yet more inside information says he thinks that Dakotah is leaning toward UA rather than EKU.Whatever anyone wants to believe, supporting data can be found somewhere. ;)

I'd still like to see a specific reference on exactly where that Tuesday decision speculation is coming from.Speculation is an odd critter. Everyone seems to have a friend who has a cousin who has a next door neighbor who has inside information about something.On the EKU boards, the only reference to EKU wanting the decision by Tuesday points to the reference on ZN in this thread.And on the Murray State boards, someone with yet more inside information says he thinks that Dakotah is leaning toward UA rather than EKU.Whatever anyone want to believe, supporting data can be found somewhere. ;)
The deadline is October 31st. And he's leaning toward Transylvania!

Scout.com is now reporting that Euton made an official visit to UNC-Greensboro on Oct. 3 and EKY on Oct. 10. It had previously been reported that he visited EKY in September right after visiting UA, and that the decision was down to UA and EKY. So, is this his second visit to EKY? And why visit Greensboro if only UA and EKY were in the running?Just another example of why I take all the "inside information" with a big grain of salt.Scout.com Link

Scout.com is now reporting that Euton made an official visit to UNC-Greensboro on Oct. 3 and EKY on Oct. 10. It had previously been reported that he visited EKY in September right after visiting UA, and that the decision was down to UA and EKY. So, is this his second visit to EKY? And why visit Greensboro if only UA and EKY were in the running?Just another example of why I take all the "inside information" with a big grain of salt.Scout.com Link
Dakatoh cancelled the visit to UNCG weeks ago. Scout hasn't updated his profile since originally listed his visit dates. FWIW....Scout's profiles may be the least reliable source when it comes to recruiting information because it takes way too much time and effort to keep them accurate. It is still down to Akron and EKU and a decision should be coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...