26 replies to this topic

#1 ndzippy

ndzippy

Zips Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

There was an ad in the Buchtellite on Thursday by The University of Akron Football Program looking for "any" former HS QB with "significant' game experience. saying to email The Director of Player Relations Coach Arshinkoff.Are things seriously that bad that we are now recruiting for QB's in the Buchtellite?

#2 g-mann17

g-mann17

Nonsensical Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

There was an ad in the Buchtellite on Thursday by The University of Akron Football Program looking for "any" former HS QB with "significant' game experience. saying to email The Director of Player Relations Coach Arshinkoff.Are things seriously that bad that we are now recruiting for QB's in the Buchtellite?

We are over a third of the way through the season. We started with 4 QB's now we have 2, so yes they are that bad. If something were to happen we could end up being down to 1.Now you know why they recruited Potts, and Dorazio (spelling). You have to keep 4-5 QBs on your team in case something bad happens like this season.They have no choice but to look for an emergency walk-on. You can only play people who are currently enrolled in the school.
"At least we know what the hell we is...we's a ZIP!" - Butchie Washington

#3 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

And, it's my understanding, that the new QB would be utilized to simply help practices run more smoothly - not for potential game PT.
Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. Jim Tressel. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#4 Akronnnnnnnn

Akronnnnnnnn

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

yes. They held open tryouts yesterday for a couple scout team quarterbacks. Apparently about 30 guys showed up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 ZachTheZip

ZachTheZip

Only a Zips fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

yes. They held open tryouts yesterday for a couple scout team quarterbacks. Apparently about 30 guys showed up.

30? That's quite a bit higher that I expected.You would think that out of that many candidates we could find a solid 3rd-stringer.

#6 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

Wouldn't it be crazy if they found a true gem out of those 30 and a future contributor (at least somewhere on the field)?If that happens i call dibbs on movie script.

Posted Image

#7 zff

zff

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

How about a try out for PK? It worked for Texas A&M.

#8 Akronnnnnnnn

Akronnnnnnnn

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

How about a try out for PK? It worked for Texas A&M.

Haha I told my inside scoop that they needed to do that and he laughed. If they did I would try out. I still consider myself awesome for hitting a 50 yarder on the practice field last year =P
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

We are over a third of the way through the season. We started with 4 QB's now we have 2, so yes they are that bad. If something were to happen we could end up being down to 1.Now you know why they recruited Potts, and Dorazio (spelling). You have to keep 4-5 QBs on your team in case something bad happens like this season.They have no choice but to look for an emergency walk-on. You can only play people who are currently enrolled in the school.

That's the problem. It has to be a current student. Maybe that kid from New Philly wishes he had stuck around.You can't go through the remaining games with only 2 QBs.

#10 Buckzip

Buckzip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

I find it hard to believe that some of the other current players weren't HS QB's. Other schools have multiple guys that were QB in high school and were good, but were projected as something better at the college level.
Half Buck, Half Zip, All Man.

#11 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

I find it hard to believe that some of the other current players weren't HS QB's. Other schools have multiple guys that were QB in high school and were good, but were projected as something better at the college level.

What's better than quarterback?

#12 you am i

you am i

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Its not uncommon for an athletic high school quarterback to end up playing another position in college, usually because his arm strength or or height was acceptable for high school but is less than is needed for a college QB. Ben Roesthlisberger was recruited as a receiver out of high school. If I remember correctly, he ended up going to Miami because it was the only D1 school that recruited him a QB.

#13 g-mann17

g-mann17

Nonsensical Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

A greenback?
"At least we know what the hell we is...we's a ZIP!" - Butchie Washington

#14 ZachTheZip

ZachTheZip

Only a Zips fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

The 3rd string QB has been named.

It has reached the point with the Zips that the coaching staff placed an ad in the student newspaper looking for experienced high school quarterbacks to help out the team. . . . Student coach Tim Zetts has joined the team to play quarterback behind Nicely and backup Jared Wackerly. He was a member of the Zips in 2005, before transferring to Saginaw Valley State, where he played until he was hurt. Zetts has one semester of eligibility remaining, according to NCAA rules. . . . The Zips' finale against Eastern Michigan will be at 2 p.m. Nov. 27.

SourceInteresting that he was a former Zip.

#15 InTheZone

InTheZone

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

The 3rd string QB has been named.

It has reached the point with the Zips that the coaching staff placed an ad in the student newspaper looking for experienced high school quarterbacks to help out the team. . . . Student coach Tim Zetts has joined the team to play quarterback behind Nicely and backup Jared Wackerly. He was a member of the Zips in 2005, before transferring to Saginaw Valley State, where he played until he was hurt. Zetts has one semester of eligibility remaining, according to NCAA rules. . . . The Zips' finale against Eastern Michigan will be at 2 p.m. Nov. 27.

SourceInteresting that he was a former Zip.

Beat me to it. I was just about to ask if anyone knew if Tim Zetts had any eligibility remaining, as I knew he was on staff. Coach to player in 24 hours, wonder if that's ever happened in the last 40 years?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users