QB Recruits

There was an ad in the Buchtellite on Thursday by The University of Akron Football Program looking for "any" former HS QB with "significant' game experience. saying to email The Director of Player Relations Coach Arshinkoff.Are things seriously that bad that we are now recruiting for QB's in the Buchtellite?

There was an ad in the Buchtellite on Thursday by The University of Akron Football Program looking for "any" former HS QB with "significant' game experience. saying to email The Director of Player Relations Coach Arshinkoff.Are things seriously that bad that we are now recruiting for QB's in the Buchtellite?
We are over a third of the way through the season. We started with 4 QB's now we have 2, so yes they are that bad. If something were to happen we could end up being down to 1.Now you know why they recruited Potts, and Dorazio (spelling). You have to keep 4-5 QBs on your team in case something bad happens like this season.They have no choice but to look for an emergency walk-on. You can only play people who are currently enrolled in the school.

We are over a third of the way through the season. We started with 4 QB's now we have 2, so yes they are that bad. If something were to happen we could end up being down to 1.Now you know why they recruited Potts, and Dorazio (spelling). You have to keep 4-5 QBs on your team in case something bad happens like this season.They have no choice but to look for an emergency walk-on. You can only play people who are currently enrolled in the school.
That's the problem. It has to be a current student. Maybe that kid from New Philly wishes he had stuck around.You can't go through the remaining games with only 2 QBs.

I find it hard to believe that some of the other current players weren't HS QB's. Other schools have multiple guys that were QB in high school and were good, but were projected as something better at the college level.
What's better than quarterback?
Its not uncommon for an athletic high school quarterback to end up playing another position in college, usually because his arm strength or or height was acceptable for high school but is less than is needed for a college QB. Ben Roesthlisberger was recruited as a receiver out of high school. If I remember correctly, he ended up going to Miami because it was the only D1 school that recruited him a QB.

The 3rd string QB has been named.

It has reached the point with the Zips that the coaching staff placed an ad in the student newspaper looking for experienced high school quarterbacks to help out the team. . . . Student coach Tim Zetts has joined the team to play quarterback behind Nicely and backup Jared Wackerly. He was a member of the Zips in 2005, before transferring to Saginaw Valley State, where he played until he was hurt. Zetts has one semester of eligibility remaining, according to NCAA rules. . . . The Zips' finale against Eastern Michigan will be at 2 p.m. Nov. 27.
SourceInteresting that he was a former Zip.

The 3rd string QB has been named.
It has reached the point with the Zips that the coaching staff placed an ad in the student newspaper looking for experienced high school quarterbacks to help out the team. . . . Student coach Tim Zetts has joined the team to play quarterback behind Nicely and backup Jared Wackerly. He was a member of the Zips in 2005, before transferring to Saginaw Valley State, where he played until he was hurt. Zetts has one semester of eligibility remaining, according to NCAA rules. . . . The Zips' finale against Eastern Michigan will be at 2 p.m. Nov. 27.
SourceInteresting that he was a former Zip.
Beat me to it. I was just about to ask if anyone knew if Tim Zetts had any eligibility remaining, as I knew he was on staff. Coach to player in 24 hours, wonder if that's ever happened in the last 40 years?

A lot of Football players on higher levels were QBS, because in high school or lower that's the only way to get the ball to your best player every play. Skill guys without good QB's cant help your team, like Lee Evans and TO in Buffalo for example, so its surprising they didnt already have a few on the team.

For being the head of the program for 6 years, this is a joke. There has always been a lot of discussion about the retention rate of JD's recruits. To me a bigger issue is the ability to identify and develop a QB. Who has JD recruited since he has been here?1. Luke Getsy - solid MAC QB, underappreciated by many including me. I think back to the days when the big discussion on this board was to give Carlton Jackson some snaps because Getsy wasn't cutting it. 2. Carlton Jackson - mediocre 1AA QB3. Sean Hakes- backup at 1AA last I knew4. Chris Jacquemein - never could seal the deal and turned out to be a cancer, sticking with him killed this season5. Matt Rodgers - everything Jacqumein wasn't in terms of a leader. For his 3rd year in the program, was way behind where we all hoped he would be talentwise.6. Jordan Miller - If Moorehead was the only guy who liked him, why did Akron offer? They give out 1 QB scholarship a year, you better be sold on the guy. If they had gotten a guy who thought he could actually compete with Rodgers, he probably would have stuck around.7. Patrick Nicely - striking gold 6 years later is too late for this regimeAs for the place kickers, we had the tryouts a few years agao when the soccer kid saved further embarrassement by actually making extra points and FGs inside of 30 yards for a Div 1 program. Bad to mediocre QB play and horrible place kicking have been hallmarks the last 4+ years

Who is this guy? #19 T.J. Marchese ...I see he was a PK at Dublin Coffman, that school is legendary for having talent at that position. they have sent quite a few kickers to BCS schools and some to the NFL if I'm not mistaken.Anybody know anything about this guy?

Can someone answer my question of what will happen to our commits in this 2010 class if JD is fired?
They don't sign their letters of intent until February. If we go 1-11 and JD is fired, they'll want to reconsider their options. If a new coach is named quickly that they like, some may stay w/us. If we go 1-11 and JD stays, we'll probably lose most of them. Either way, this season is setting us back. I feel bad for Gary Taylor but at least the stadium will help with the next HC hire.

i agree with zipboy.getsy was the only decent qb we have seen in jd tenure.we found nicely because they had no one esle to play? also our kicking game has been a joke just about every year also.we had trouble making extra points two years ago.this year we can't make a fg,and our punts get blocked or travel 30 yards.that's why we need a kicker next year;even if it means giving up a scholly.also a qb would not hurt either from the jc route.

i agree with zipboy.getsy was the only decent qb we have seen in jd tenure.we found nicely because they had no one esle to play? also our kicking game has been a joke just about every year also.we had trouble making extra points two years ago.this year we can't make a fg,and our punts get blocked or travel 30 yards.that's why we need a kicker next year;even if it means giving up a scholly.also a qb would not hurt either from the jc route.
We already have Josh Couch coming in off his greyshirt. He was rated as 1 of the top punters in the nation last year as a senior. Was NFL Punt, Pass and Kick National Champion in 05' and 07'. We also have 6' 325lb mad man NT Chris Henderson also a greyshirt. Nicley, Torrence, Wagner, LaFrance, Schrock, Hoobler, Caponi and so many other young players, who ever the Coach is will have a wealth of young talented football players.