"Official" 2010 Head Coach Prediction:

xu9697

I think a good candidate will be Scot Loeffler. http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=27
Loeffler interviewed a couple of years ago with Tennessee and should have been hired over Dave Clawsen (who's now the HC at BG).He's a great QB coach, and has developed Tom Brady and others. Brady speaks highly of him. And he's from Barberton, so there's a local tie there. Not saying we should hire him, but would be one that would be intriguing to interview.As per that UT staff, Browning is a good one, no doubt. The two others from that staff that I would hire having followed them this year are Eddie Gran (RB/Spec Teams Coordinator) and Lance Thompson (Linebacker Coach). Both are OUTSTANDING recruiters who have really cleaned up on the recruiting trail this year. Gran in particular has developed a few RB's that you might have heard about, esp. Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams. Thompson will move up the coaching ladder as time goes on, he is a very impressive personality and has done a great job with the LB's at Tennessee this year, esp. with all of their injuries.A couple other names from the South would be interesting. Gary Crowton is one of the two finalists for the Memphis job, and he's the OC at LSU. Also, Hugh Freeze, the current HC at Lambuth University. I know that this season has been a BIG disappointment, but the one difference that Akron has now compared to the last coaching search is the football facilities in place. If the adminstration is willing to pay the money for a good coach (and I know that's a big if), then things could really take off.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a good candidate will be Scot Loeffler. http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=27
Loeffler interviewed a couple of years ago with Tennessee and should have been hired over Dave Clawsen (who's now the HC at BG).He's a great QB coach, and has developed Tom Brady and others. Brady speaks highly of him. And he's from Barberton, so there's a local tie there. Not saying we should hire him, but would be one that would be intriguing to interview.As per that UT staff, Browning is a good one, no doubt. The two others from that staff that I would hire having followed them this year are Eddie Gran (RB/Spec Teams Coordinator) and Lance Thompson (Linebacker Coach). Both are OUTSTANDING recruiters who have really cleaned up on the recruiting trail this year. Gran in particular has developed a few RB's that you might have heard about, esp. Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams. Thompson will move up the coaching ladder as time goes on, he is a very impressive personality and has done a great job with the LB's at Tennessee this year, esp. with all of their injuries.A couple other names from the South would be interesting. Gary Crowton is one of the two finalists for the Memphis job, and he's the OC at LSU. Also, Hugh Freeze, the current HC at Lambuth University. I know that this season has been a BIG disappointment, but the one difference that Akron has now compared to the last coaching search is the football facilities in place. If the adminstration is willing to pay the money for a good coach (and I know that's a big if), then things could really take off.
Yes, think how good Notre Dame could be if they just paid their coach more. :thumb:

Yes, think how good Notre Dame could be if they just paid their coach more. :thumb:
Weis is actually paid less than you think. Akron can't continue to pay a bottom-ten coaching salary if they want to have any chance of success.

With all due respect to my good friends in the Rubber City, I don't see Appalachian State Coach Jerry Moore going anywhere. Appy, as well as Montana and Delaware, averaged more fans than Akron this year, and every year for the past 5 years I believe. He is making good money there and they are rapidly becoming one of the best FCS programs of all-time. And again no disrespect to Akron, but those three programs are in a lot better shape than Akron right now and I'd be willing to bet all three would be able to handily beat the Zips, esp this year. Notice: no mention of ysu here!May I add they expanded their stadium and it is pretty damn nice:http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_O...;ATCLID=1524706Of all the coaches at the FCS level that are pretty untouchable right now, I think those three would definitely be them. Appy averaged 25,969 a game this year, Montana 25,652, and Delaware 20,750.One coach comes to mind that I think would be a good fit at Akron: Mickey Matthews, head coach of James Madison University. Although they sucked this year in the very tough Colonial Athletic Association, which I dare to say is stronger at the top than the MAC is at the top. He has sent quite a few teams to the playoffs in recent years. Damn good coach, but many of the JMU fans want him out.Read up on him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Matthews

Weis is actually paid less than you think. Akron can't continue to pay a bottom-ten coaching salary if they want to have any chance of success.
I think that your thinking about my thinking may be in error. How much do you think I think he is getting paid?

I'm not exactly sure that the pay scale for an incoming head coach is all that important. Of course it would be if the goal was to convince an already established Div. 1A coach like Pete Carroll but Akron is unable to come up with type of money anyway. There has to be plenty of excellent candidates waiting for an opportunity to showcase their abilities at this level and would be willing to come to Akron regardless of pay. With very few Div. 1A head coaching jobs in existence and even less positions being available in a given year, a coach waiting for a job opportunity would probably find it difficult to pass up an offer. The uptake for such a coach is huge. Turn this train wreck into a bowl winner a few times and then pay scale would probably become an issue.

The way you have to look at things is compare what the 3 newest hires received. Clausen, English, and Haywood all make more than Brookhart. (300+ to his 250).The first game alone I believe the program brought in $1.5 million. Hard to get a quality coach when the program has that kind of earnings potential and you are only offering $250 thousand. Bottom line you aren't going to convince a coach (that is capable of accomplishing what you want) to come here with the burden of lifting a program above mediocrity and filling (and paying for) a 61 million dollar stadium at the current Brookhart price. If they care about the program, they will spend money on the coach. $2 million over 5 years ($400 thousand a year) with some bonuses worked in for attendance and winning is not that much to ask, we spend $2 million a year on planting trees.

The way you have to look at things is compare what the 3 newest hires received. Clausen, English, and Haywood all make more than Brookhart. (300+ to his 250).The first game alone I believe the program brought in $1.5 million. Hard to get a quality coach when the program has that kind of earnings potential and you are only offering $250 thousand. Bottom line you aren't going to convince a coach (that is capable of accomplishing what you want) to come here with the burden of lifting a program above mediocrity and filling (and paying for) a 61 million dollar stadium at the current Brookhart price. If they care about the program, they will spend money on the coach. $2 million over 5 years ($400 thousand a year) with some bonuses worked in for attendance and winning is not that much to ask, we spend $2 million a year on planting trees.
+1 :bow:

since everyone is throwing out names...John Lockhardt...California,Pennsylvania and Scott Browning Edinboro State...y'all can check their records they are more than solid...these guys recruit areas that need to be recruited by the Zips...they have and are running winning successful programs and make the DII playoffs, both again this year...Browning has ohio connections also...these guys look like stability which this program hasn't had...look a little closer to home and look for someone who has been a head coach
The PSAC is not a very good conference at all, I grew up in Pennsylvania and have seen those schools play. I would be very disappointed if we got a coach from there. Especially "Boro", Edinboro is def a ghetto and is worse than Can't state haha. I think we need either a FCS HC or someone from FBS.
get real...a ghetto!!!??? who made you god? i have followed IUP football and the PSAC for years...Frank Cignetti... 182-50?i don't know..i may have more relatives in western pa. than most...oh...esu won their first playoff game...i think california got a first round bye?...esu,cal and stroud are still in....where are you from?
I'm from Erie, PA, Edinboro is really close and Gannon and Mercyhurst are right in the city. I'm not a fan of any of those schools but Edinboro is just a dirty place it has the highest STD rate in the country and has a lot of shady people that go there. The only team I root for from the conference is IUP, and know a handful of players on that team...

Here is a list of the potential YSU hire's. There are a few names on here that I would never see ending up at Akron... They would be Pelini and Stoops, two Youngstown guys.. However the rest could be in the running for both jobs:YSU Coaching Hires?
looks more like some alumn's wish list than anything real...y.town isn't the I-AA plum it used to be...

I'm not exactly sure that the pay scale for an incoming head coach is all that important. Of course it would be if the goal was to convince an already established Div. 1A coach like Pete Carroll but Akron is unable to come up with type of money anyway. There has to be plenty of excellent candidates waiting for an opportunity to showcase their abilities at this level and would be willing to come to Akron regardless of pay. With very few Div. 1A head coaching jobs in existence and even less positions being available in a given year, a coach waiting for a job opportunity would probably find it difficult to pass up an offer. The uptake for such a coach is huge. Turn this train wreck into a bowl winner a few times and then pay scale would probably become an issue.
I don't think that you have to bankrupt the University for the next HC, but I do feel as if the pay needs to be elevated to be more attractive to attract rising assistants and/or coordinators. Pay in the $300,000 to $400,000 range would be more in line with the best paid MAC HC's. That's what I would think would be most appropriate if the UA administration is serious about elevating this program. Not earth-shattering, but significantly more given the current salary structure. And, we probably need to up pay for assistants as well.

Here is a list of the potential YSU hire's. There are a few names on here that I would never see ending up at Akron... They would be Pelini and Stoops, two Youngstown guys.. However the rest could be in the running for both jobs:YSU Coaching Hires?
Anyone else notice JD Brookhart's name on that list with a notation (soon to be fired). Real classy there.

Anyone else notice JD Brookhart's name on that list with a notation (soon to be fired). Real classy there.
Oh and I guess they were pulling that one out of their butts when they wrote that. C-mon man, are you blind to all the threads on this site about the next head coach at Akron? Brookhart is gone from what I am told.Pretty sad you that you would actually take offense to that.And sure those names seem far fetched, but a few sound like they may be front-runners... Marshall's Head Coach Snyder, Zona's D.C. Stoops, Ohio State Asst. H.C. Darrell Hazell, and one of the Asst's at Michigan State that does not have the last name Narduzzi.

since everyone is throwing out names...John Lockhardt...California,Pennsylvania and Scott Browning Edinboro State...y'all can check their records they are more than solid...these guys recruit areas that need to be recruited by the Zips...they have and are running winning successful programs and make the DII playoffs, both again this year...Browning has ohio connections also...these guys look like stability which this program hasn't had...look a little closer to home and look for someone who has been a head coach
No thanks on Scott Browning. His team lost in the layoffs 84-63 to West Liberty. If we thought the 3-3-5 was bad, God only knows what this guy would bring. He would be Lee Owens on steroids.I really don't know about the other guy.

I'm taking back my predicition that JD is gone. Unless the University can come up with over $1 million before they even hire a new staff, JD stays. Also, if JD leaves, Nicely and probably Wagner leave too. They will tell the public that JD deserves one last shot due to injuries and the CJ11 situation.
I agree with the last couple of posts.I KNOW a million dollars would immediately benefit the new soccer stadium project and the soccer program itself. I DON'T know how quickly that same million will help us become bowl-eligible and beyond in football. I like JD personally but agree with most of you that it is probably time for a change. I'm not at all sure buying JD out of the last year of his contract is the best we can do with the kind of money it's going to take to do that and put the new coach and staff in place.

I'm taking back my predicition that JD is gone. Unless the University can come up with over $1 million before they even hire a new staff, JD stays. Also, if JD leaves, Nicely and probably Wagner leave too. They will tell the public that JD deserves one last shot due to injuries and the CJ11 situation.
Where are you pulling that information from? Wagner is a sophomore academically, which means he is getting into his major now. Both him and Nicely have a chance to play for 4 years and rebuild a struggling program.It is not the JD Brookhart Zips. It is the Akron Zips, who have first rate facilities and a new stadium. I think we should be worry about the recruits. Akron has her meat hooks firmly in the two you mentioned though.

French said during the EMU game that the Zips are the 3rd youngest team in the country (according to the 2-deep) right now. That has to factor in somehow. If we retain our coaching staff for another year, we might see a big improvement. Or we might not. It's a gamble, something that the AD will have to decide on.

I AM GOING TO VOMIT if I read any more posts that are in any way positive about retaining JD. How many years does a head coach need to perform? My GAWD he squeaked out a victory over the worst D-1 team in the entire country this afternoon. That's TWO wins over D-1 teams in over a year, and those are two of the bottom 10 teams in the entire country. There were maybe 3000 fans there. This program is TERRIBLE with him running the show. How can any fan think it'll be better with him here another year? I will be practically despondent (not in a real-life sense, but certainly from my Zips fan perspective) if UA retains JD and this staff. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me read in the next few days that JD and his staff have been let go. I wish all of them well if life, I really do. Just not here. And to think that Wagner and Nicely are going anywhere, when they collectively own this program now, is nuts. Either of them would be crazy to leave UA at this point. What they really need is to become leaders in a resurgent program in 2010, you know, the one with a NEW COACHING STAFF on the sidelines.

Where are you pulling that information from? Wagner is a sophomore academically, which means he is getting into his major now. Both him and Nicely have a chance to play for 4 years and rebuild a struggling program.It is not the JD Brookhart Zips. It is the Akron Zips, who have first rate facilities and a new stadium. I think we should be worry about the recruits. Akron has her meat hooks firmly in the two you mentioned though.
someone very fond of JD donates a very large chunk of money to the school, money they can't afford to lose. nicely decided not to go to BG after they changed coaches. he can transfer from akron and still have 3 years left. don't think he won't do it if he loses a coach here that he likes. wagner i'm not sure about. i'd be suprised like you if he left but that's what i get from a reliable source.

look at what happened to the guy (mitch mustane).he was starting at arkansas.he bolted for u.s.c.,and has been on the bench ever since.if he stays at arkon he will probably be a four year stater.if he goes somewhere else these is not a guarentee he will play.where would he transfer to? the defenses he faces in the mac are nothing compared to bcs teams.i hope he stays at arkon and i think leaving would be a big mistake for him.